Metal grill 4x12's. tell me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnster

Reaction score
I have a chance to grab a 4x12 metal grill cab, open top and closed bottom.
Loaded with 4 original EV's

Tone wise....are these warm or similar to current 4x12's from Mesa with V-30's?

Also, they are wired for stereo....are they split horizontally or vertically for the stereo inputs?

I have an idea in my head that they are brittle and harsh sounding.....I don't know why I have that idea.

This cab is from the early 90's. I don't need a 4x12 but then again.....GAS isn't intended to be rational.

I wish it was a vertical 2x12 but those are hard to find with a metal grill.

Thanks for any input.

I don't have experience with the exact type of cab you're talking about, but I'll tell you what I can. I used to have a RoadReady metal grill 4x12 that was loaded with V30s when I bought it. I later replaced two of the speakers with G12H80s. So it was a pretty different cab than what you're looking at due to the different speaker type and the completely closed back. However, I wouldn't say that it sounded brittle or harsh at all. It had some excessive V30 raspiness at first, which was mitigated by changing the speakers. Later on I sold it because it was way louder and heavier than what I needed, and replaced it with a Rectifier vertical 2x12, and had pretty much the same experience with the sound (a little raspy at first, but just right after swapping out one speaker).

I have seen at least one band in recent memory where the guitarist was using a white tolex half-back metal grill 4x12 with a Marshall reissue plexi head, and his tone sounded absolutely enormous. I have been tempted on numerous occasions to buy metal grill 4x12s for sale around here, but so far I've talked myself out of it every time. Those cabs have a really good reputation, though, especially ones loaded with all EVs.

These are great cabinets, I used to have one and regret selling it. Mine had the option of removing the top back portion to make it a half back.
I preferred the top closed.
The cab in split vertically for stereo.

The EV's are great speakers. I played various Mark series heads even had a Matrix GT1000/AxeFx system through it. Both sounded fantastic.
Any other speakers just color the sound to much. These speakers are pretty much "what you put in you get out". It's up to your amps EQ settings to dial them in.

I have (3) metal grille 2x12 cabs. They sound great with older Mesa's! An EV in the bottom is great with an MS-12 or C-90 on top.

I like them with my MK V but did by a rectifier 2x12 and 4x12 which I like as well. Totally different sounds as the recto cabs compress the sound a bit and work for what I'm playing now. You should try the cabs with an EV and see how you like it.

mule#1 said:
I have (3) metal grille 2x12 cabs. They sound great with older Mesa's! An EV in the bottom is great with an MS-12 or C-90 on top.

I like them with my MK V but did by a rectifier 2x12 and 4x12 which I like as well. Totally different sounds as the recto cabs compress the sound a bit and work for what I'm playing now. You should try the cabs with an EV and see how you like it.

Thanks for all the responses.
The 4x12 is near mint and he wants $450 for it.

Have you tried your Mini Recto thru your metal grill 2x12's

I may use a Matrix GM50 with my AxeFx to drive the 4x12. EV's are pretty flat voiced and may work well with the Axe when I'm not using FRFR.

Thanks for all the responses.
The 4x12 is near mint and he wants $450 for it.

Have you tried your Mini Recto thru your metal grill 2x12's

I may use a Matrix GM50 with my AxeFx to drive the 4x12. EV's are pretty flat voiced and may work well with the Axe when I'm not using FRFR.[/quote]

The mini-recto sounds great with the cab!

mule#1 said:

4 x EV12s is overkill! That's at least 800 watts of power handling, not a formula for an ideal warm guitar sound.

I am of the opinion that factory setup of EV12s on bottom and C90 Black Shadows on top is best, although 4 x C90s isn't bad, or 4x70 watt+ Celestions. I don't like V30s personally as I like a very tight bottom end.

I'd say buy it too. Take out 2 EV's and sell them. Then put in whatever you want to replace them. One thing I liked about old Mesa cabinets was that they mixed speakers in their 4x12's. I used to have a metal grill 4x12 back in the early 90's and it was a mistake custom ordering it with all EV speakers. Plus the weight of it was aweful for gigs.

MkIII Renegade said:
mule#1 said:

4 x EV12s is overkill! That's at least 800 watts of power handling, not a formula for an ideal warm guitar sound.

I am of the opinion that factory setup of EV12s on bottom and C90 Black Shadows on top is best, although 4 x C90s isn't bad, or 4x70 watt+ Celestions. I don't like V30s personally as I like a very tight bottom end.
Got one today for $500.00, road ready with 4 EV's. I am overkill and metal, so this is me, 4X me, road ready and heavenly heavy, we both weigh the same! I love the appearance, it's smaller than I expected and heavier, with the outlined Mesa/Boogie name plate. Can be half open or fully closed and it's awesome with the metal grill. It's a good 8 out of 10 in condition. Jackson/Mark III/EV = ideal formula for overkill. I also have a Marshall 1960A 4X12 with G65's and 1960B 4X12 with G70's, 2 genz benz 4X12's with private jacks, (for sale now with road cases on eBay) but the EV's are in my Boogafunk thiele's, Mk. IV combo and Mk. IIB stack, so when I found this bad boy, I was on it. Heard Jimi on the TV when I was 7 and still haven't put my guitar down, Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, that's where I come from, love BTBAM (going 10/17 @ Palladium) & COBHC now. Raw, aggressive in-your-face, take no prisoners slam style, ready for battle guitar playing. I'll be 51 Friday and I feel like 18. Good living, karma, honesty and hard work made me one lucky *******!

Markedman said:
MkIII Renegade said:
mule#1 said:

Got one today for $500.00, road ready with 4 EV's. I am overkill and metal, so this is me, 4X me, road ready and heavenly heavy, we both weigh the same! I love the appearance, it's smaller than I expected and heavier, with the outlined Mesa/Boogie name plate. Can be half open or fully closed and it's awesome with the metal grill. It's a good 8 out of 10 in condition. Jackson/Mark III/EV = ideal formula for overkill. I also have a Marshall 1960A 4X12 with G65's and 1960B 4X12 with G70's, 2 genz benz 4X12's with private jacks, (for sale now with road cases on eBay) but the EV's are in my Boogafunk thiele's, Mk. IV combo and Mk. IIB stack, so when I found this bad boy, I was on it. Heard Jimi on the TV when I was 7 and still haven't put my guitar down, Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, that's where I come from, love BTBAM (going 10/17 @ Palladium) & COBHC now. Raw, aggressive in-your-face, take no prisoners slam style, ready for battle guitar playing. I'll be 51 Friday and I feel like 18. Good living, karma, honesty and hard work made me one lucky *******!

Sounds like you just picked up some mojo! 8)

I know that's the way I felt when I picked up my first metal grill 4x12, it re-energized my playing! I also play my Marshall JVM through my metal grill full stack and on OD1 mode (basically JCM 800 mode) I can absolutely nail the Hell Awaits/Reign crunch tones, which is a good thing. :twisted:

The most godly modern metal lead tone I have ever heard is my Charvel 650 through the MkIII with full stack. You can really feel every note in the chest with the EMGs, but without being boomy.

DaveP said:
These are great cabinets, I used to have one and regret selling it. Mine had the option of removing the top back portion to make it a half back.

The EV's are great speakers. I played various Mark series heads even had a Matrix GT1000/AxeFx system through it. Both sounded fantastic.
Any other speakers just color the sound to much. These speakers are pretty much "what you put in you get out". It's up to your amps EQ settings to dial them in.

Yep fantastic cab!! ... under rated IMO .... but all the better if you are looking. Built like a tank and sounds as good as my Hiwatt SE4123 or 68 Marshall B cab. I'm running greenback G12H30s right now but it's a killer cab with the factory EV and Black Shadows. The half back 2x12 isn't bad either! AC/DC used to run them in their lineup.

IfxaxDP.jpg

Metal grills are the baddest, meanest looking cabs in the world.
In my opinion, no other cabinet has that much of an aggressive presence.

I've got 3 slant tolex, 2 bottom tolex and 3 road ready. I LOVE THEM!!!!

This last show my band played, I got to break out the big rig.
Studio preamp>295>two full stacks=Heaven.

That's all I have to say. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.

MichaelC4 said:
Metal grills are the baddest, meanest looking cabs in the world.
In my opinion, no other cabinet has that much of an aggressive presence.

I've got 3 slant tolex, 2 bottom tolex and 2 road ready. I LOVE THEM!!!!

This last show my band played, I got to break out the big rig.
Studio preamp>295>two full stacks=Heaven.

That's all I have to say. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.

Heaven.

Yes.

This is why I play all eight 12s at the same time. No other cab sounds sweeter or looks cooler to me. 8) I have started to play the cabs side by side however, not only to protect ears (even at low volume!) but for the better stereo sound dispersal. Dial up a little delay on the Lead channel and I'm in heaven...

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
DaveP said:

Yep fantastic cab!! ... under rated IMO .... but all the better if you are looking. Built like a tank and sounds as good as my Hiwatt SE4123 or 68 Marshall B cab. I'm running greenback G12H30s right now but it's a killer cab with the factory EV and Black Shadows. The half back 2x12 isn't bad either! AC/DC used to run them in their lineup.

IfxaxDP.jpg

Hello there, I see that your 4x12 cab its loaded with EVM's on the Bottom. So my question is; Since this cab is not Ported, how much this affect the sound, do you have any difficulty using the cab at loud volumes,your 4x12 cab its a halfback or Close back ?

Back