Mesa will not cover replacement of screen resistor(s)?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vogelsong said:
Or how about this put a better rec tube in it. There's an idea, or even better when people ask ya if a 5v4 will work which we all know it will don't give us the bullshit line it'll void our warranty.

Thats a crock if I ever heard one.

I agree.

Oh and Daisy I think you owe everyone in this thread an apology. We should be able to voice our displeasure without being told to get F'd. Our dissatisfaction is not unfounded whether you like it or not.

No. I don't owe anyone anything. Taking complaints made by people on a forum where the average person only comes when they're having a problem that they need advice for and distorting that into there being such a massive number of problems that there will be a ground swelling of complainers simply because a large manufacturer cannot offer the personalized service of a small boutique builder is not what I would consider legitimate complaining but rather a lack of understanding. Further, suggesting an online petition for the purpose of creating a negative public image that can be signed by anyone regardless of whether they've ever owned or even played a Mesa amp in an effort to arm twist a company into changing policy reeks of self interest. It's simply the old "Give me what I want, or I'll tell everyone in town how bad your business is" tactic, and it's garbage.

Jared Purdy said:
And as a side note, Bogner is not even in the same league as Mesa, their amps are made in China, and can't compete. They aren't even in the same price range. I expect crappy serive and crappy warranties from crappy products, not by amp companies that boast about being "boutique", being "hand made in the USA". What load of rubbish.

Bogner is made in the USA, and with the exception of the Alchemist are a lot more expensive than Mesa.

The Alchemist is their entry level amp, and the only one that's made in China.

I will be calling Mesa today to clairfy the OP, and if what he says is true, I am dumping this amp immediately, and Mesa will be added to my list of companies that I will not be doing business with. I will make this known, and why, every time I see a thread where someone is asking about Mesa amps, this thread will be reiterated. And if what the OP stated is not true, or misinformed, that will also be noted.

Give me what I want, or I'll tell everyone in town how bad your business is....

screamingdaisy said:
Jared Purdy said:
And as a side note, Bogner is not even in the same league as Mesa, their amps are made in China, and can't compete. They aren't even in the same price range. I expect crappy serive and crappy warranties from crappy products, not by amp companies that boast about being "boutique", being "hand made in the USA". What load of rubbish.

Bogner is made in the USA, and with the exception of the Alchemist are a lot more expensive than Mesa.

The Alchemist is their entry level amp, and the only one that's made in China.

I will be calling Mesa today to clairfy the OP, and if what he says is true, I am dumping this amp immediately, and Mesa will be added to my list of companies that I will not be doing business with. I will make this known, and why, every time I see a thread where someone is asking about Mesa amps, this thread will be reiterated. And if what the OP stated is not true, or misinformed, that will also be noted.

Give me what I want, or I'll tell everyone in town how bad your business is....

Daisy, whats wrong with doing a petition on this forum so only those with mesa's and mesa problems can sign it. I don't see the problem with that, maybe it would open mesa's eyes.

When you sign the petition you have to provide model and serial number of your amp.

The ownership can then be verified.

screamingdaisy said:
Vogelsong said:
Or how about this put a better rec tube in it. There's an idea, or even better when people ask ya if a 5v4 will work which we all know it will don't give us the bullshit line it'll void our warranty.

Thats a crock if I ever heard one.

I agree.

Oh and Daisy I think you owe everyone in this thread an apology. We should be able to voice our displeasure without being told to get F'd. Our dissatisfaction is not unfounded whether you like it or not.

No. I don't owe anyone anything. Taking complaints made by people on a forum where the average person only comes when they're having a problem that they need advice for and distorting that into there being such a massive number of problems that there will be a ground swelling of complainers simply because a large manufacturer cannot offer the personalized service of a small boutique builder is not what I would consider legitimate complaining but rather a lack of understanding. Further, suggesting an online petition for the purpose of creating a negative public image that can be signed by anyone regardless of whether they've ever owned or even played a Mesa amp in an effort to arm twist a company into changing policy reeks of self interest. It's simply the old "Give me what I want, or I'll tell everyone in town how bad your business is" tactic, and it's garbage.

It most certainly is not "give me what I want". It is "give me what I paid for". And since when does somone have to post threads a certain amount of time before they have a credible claim to a complaint or an issue? I didn't realize there was referee determining the legitimacy of poster's issues. If it is the first time this guy has posted, so what? He has a legitimate problem, that from what I can see, seems to happen somewhat frequently. There are three people in the length of just over a month, all of whom have the same problem. Conicidence? I think not. People, here and in other forums seem to react to other people's complaints as if they are being personlly attacked, as if it's a memeber of your family that has bneen slandered. Get a grip, it's an amp for God's sake, and it's produced by a coroporation who's bottom lineis profit. That's as deep as my loyalty is to them too.

I'm all for an on-line petition. Sign me up.

Just got a call back from the tech.

The rectifier tube blew, took a resistor with it, blew the fuse and the resistor arched so badly that it burnt a hole in the side of an electrical relay, so that also had to be replaced. This really just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

I have an $85.90 bill to pay and I am not happy at all right now. I'm calling Mesa on Monday.

If you guys have had these problems, please make them known the Mesa on Monday as soon as they open. Maybe if we all call at once with these issues, they'll actually listen.

Kyemack45687 said:
Just got a call back from the tech.

The rectifier tube blew, took a resistor with it, blew the fuse and the resistor arched so badly that it burnt a hole in the side of an electrical relay, so that also had to be replaced. This really just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

I have an $85.90 bill to pay and I am not happy at all right now. I'm calling Mesa on Monday and I will give them hell.

If you guys have had these problems, please make them known the Mesa on Monday as soon as they open. Maybe if we all call at once with these issues, they'll actually listen.

+1, you can count on it.

Vogelsong said:
Daisy, whats wrong with doing a petition on this forum so only those with mesa's and mesa problems can sign it. I don't see the problem with that, maybe it would open mesa's eyes.

When you sign the petition you have to provide model and serial number of your amp.

A petition is bit of a moot point as they already read the forum.

screamingdaisy said:
Vogelsong said:

A petition is bit of a moot point as they already read the forum.

Actions speak louder that words. A petition is taking action. We need to do this, and find a way to circulate it.

Sorry, but you complainers sound like trust-fund crybabies who took Daddy's money and bought a Ferrari, and now whine about the maintenance costs.

Go back to your Squiers and Crates.

MrMarkIII said:
Sorry, but you complainers sound like trust-fund crybabies who took Daddy's money and bought a Ferrari, and now whine about the maintenance costs.

Trust funds and Daddy. Well ******* and **** for brains, my father has been dead for over forteen years, and as a 51 year old, if there's a trust fund it's by my own making. You're an idiot. Put your name into the spell check on Word, and watch the red line pop up that says, "nope, you're an idiot". That's you and all your pretentious crap. I believe, given everything that I read in the newspapers, and watch on the news that Americans love to complain, about everything, particularly if they feel that they have been ripped off. Well, I'd concur on that. It should be a part of the 1st ammendment. Complaining about crappy products and shifty warranties by shifty corporations should be a rite of passage. If I'm sold crap, I want a refund, plain and simple.

The middle of the road for Mesa would be to fix this man's amp, at their expense, as the amp is still under warranty. The high road would be for them to apologize. What good are their tubes if they have to be replaced every 6 months? What a waste. I don't know anyone who has to replace their tubes every six months, regadless of the amp. The tube blew because they are sub standard, and Mesa has used below grade resistors that fry. Remeber that factory authorized fix? Well, what has been fixed?

Unless you have something really constructive to say, shut the **** up and bury your sorry head in the sand where it has been for most of your life.

MrMarkIII said:

Mr. Mark can you explaine to me why the 59 bandmaster up in my bedroom is running on 40 year old tubes, and it was played hard up until 2005 when my grandfather passed away.

The only thing it has required in that time was a recap because the original paper caps started leaking in 03.

Vogelsong said:
MrMarkIII said:

Mr. Mark can you explaine to me why the 59 bandmaster up in my bedroom is running on 40 year old tubes, and it was played hard up until 2005 when my grandfather passed away.

The only thing it has required in that time was a recap because the original paper caps started leaking in 03.

+1, though you don't even need to go back that far, though that is goin' back there!

Jared Purdy said:
MrMarkIII said:

Trust funds and Daddy. Well ******* and sh!t for brains, my father has been dead for over forteen years, and as a 51 year old, if there's a trust fund it's by my own making. You're an idiot. Put your name into the spell check on Word, and watch the red line pop up that says, "nope, you're an idiot". That's you and all your pretentious crap. I believe, given everything that I read in the newspapers, and watch on the news that Americans love to complain, about everything, particularly if they feel that they have been ripped off. Well, I'd concur on that. It should be a part of the 1st ammendment. Complaining about crappy products and shifty warranties by shifty corporations should be a rite of passage. If I'm sold crap, I want a refund, plain and simple.

The middle of the road for Mesa would be to fix this man's amp, at their expense, as the amp is still under warranty. The high road would be for them to apologize. What good are their tubes if they have to be replaced every 6 months? What a waste. I don't know anyone who has to replace their tubes every six months, regadless of the amp. The tube blew because they are sub standard, and Mesa has used below grade resistors that fry. Remeber that factory authorized fix? Well, what has been fixed?

Unless you have something really constructive to say, shut the f%&# up and bury your sorry head in the sand where it has been for most of your life.

I really wish everyone could just ease up on the personal attacks. Is it really that hard, I feel it's just an attempt at getting under peoples skin (Mr. Mark) for whatever twisted reason. And unfortunatley Jared it worked.

Vogelsong said:

Tubes made to military standards in an amp that wasn't designed to drive them to their limits.

I'm sure that Mesa would love to offer tubes of that quality, but they're simply not made any more.

screamingdaisy said:
Vogelsong said:

Tubes made to military standards in an amp that wasn't designed to drive them to their limits.

I'm sure that Mesa would love to offer tubes of that quality, but they're simply not made any more.

I wonder if tubes of that quality were actually made today and in the US if the US amp builders would buy them or keep cramming the crap down our throats.

I simply ask because you know they would be more expensive.

I am very surprised and very disappointed with Mesa's attitude to the OPs issues. I wonder if there is small print in the warranty that specifies that if a tube blows that any related circuitry is not covered under warranty. An LSS is over £2000 new, here in the UK. I would feel I had paid up front for some customer care for that amount of money.

However, I don't think it is accurate to say that the amp has under spec'd resistors because one was taken out when the tube blew. This can happen to any tube amp if I am not very much mistaken.

The warranty issue where use of non Mesa branded tubes voids said warranty is ostensibly because of the amps fixed non adjustable bias, (well the LSS is cathode biased but is the exception to the rule here); the logic is that if you use non Mesa tubes (which are screened to suit Mesa amps), then you may have just stuck in any old tube which ran the amp too hot and caused it to blow. Hmmmm. (or does the must use Mesa branded tubes apply to pre amp tubes as well as power tubes). If this is the case and insisting that you buy Mesa branded tubes is not just a cynical money making ploy, then Mesa could allow it's customers to buy tubes from an approved source such as Eurotubes, et al who provide non Mesa branded tubes to the Mesa spec. This would allow customers to experiment with different makes of tubes, and the tone of the LSS can vary dramatically depending on what tubes are fitted, at least in my experience; but I guess that would be too much like hard work (and costly to be fair), to set up.

On a positive note my LSS, bought used 2 1/2 years ago, appears to have the original rectifier tube, (at least it has a Mesa branded one fitted). The amp is old (Sn 009XX) and has caused zero issues. It eats EL84s for breakfast but that's the nature of the beast.

Vogelsong said:
I wonder if tubes of that quality were actually made today and in the US if the US amp builders would buy them or keep cramming the crap down our throats.

I simply ask because you know they would be more expensive.

I think it would depend on how much more expensive we're talking.

Here is are some sad facts about the tube industry.

In the 40's, 50's and 60's when tubes were actively being developed, the Engineers were some of the best minds of the time. It was a very important industry and developments came thick and fast which made TV and space exploration possible anlong with many other things.

Today, there would be perhaps a handfull of Engineers working with tubes and they are probably the guys that NASA isn't hiring. The total world tube production now is likely to be less than 1% of the peak production in the 60's. Tubes are hard to make and probably should be more expensive than they are.

The bottom line is that there is not a lot of money in manufacturing tubes. The tube industry is just never going to see much growth in the future and the tube companies left will not invest to improve things because they will not see any value by doing so.

J.J said:
The bottom line is that there is not a lot of money in manufacturing tubes. The tube industry is just never going to see much growth in the future and the tube companies left will not invest to improve things because they will not see any value by doing so.

I think New Sensor is purposely shortening the life on tubes in an effort to increase sales.

screamingdaisy said:
J.J said:

I think New Sensor is purposely shortening the life on tubes in an effort to increase sales.

See thats the problem, if you make a great tube that lasts for years are you gonna make money or not? They will be more expensive, but the replacement bussiness won't be there.

Latest posts

Back