Mesa Upgrade for Mark IIB Effects Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchman

Reaction score
I spoke with Mike Marshall at Mesa Boogie about getting my effect loop in my Mark IIB to work with newer effect units. My boogie just doesn't sound well with the effect loop. It is a series loop in the Mark IIB.
I did purchase a Rocktron Intellifex and a Peavey Pro Fex(This is for my 69' Superbassman) But I'm going to trial it on my Boogie also.
I'm still attempting to get a good tone using an effects unit.

Mike at Boogie advised me of the upgrade available for the Mark IIB but also stated it would change the tone and gain staging on the amp. Has anyone done this to there Mark IIB yet?
If you have please advise your thoughts after the upgrade.
Cost is $250.00 so that's not a real issue.
I love the tone of my Boogie now, Mike said it would be better, If that is the case I'm gonna have to get a couple of cases of Depends. It's so sweet now you almost wet yourself.....

Thanks, You Guys are the Best!!!!!

I would have a tendency to believe Mike when he say's something. You can also ask for Tim McKee at boogie and ask him. He has used a Mark IIB for years.

Chris... 8)

I guess I didn't say that right.
I believe that the update will change the Mark IIB. I do not doubt Mike is telling me the truth.
What I'm looking for are examples of the changes. So I don't feel as tho I would be making changes without knowledge of other boogie users reviews and their thought after doing this change. Reassurance I guess.

My apologies

Dutchman,

No apology necessary. It's sometimes funny how saying something in writing completely loses the context. I apologize if I made you feel badly... :(
I re-read the original post and realized that you were talking about Mike Marshall. I'm not sure of Mike Marshall's expertise, I was thinking more about Mike Bendinelli... my bad...:oops:

I still think you should give Tim a call. I think he's using a Lonestar these days, but he use to have nothing but good to say about his Mark IIB. I'm sure that with he and Mike Bendinelli being in the same building he has had his share of mod recommendations and would be forth coming about them and the plus or minus's.

Good luck with your decision, Chris... 8)

I sent my Mark IIB in to Mark B in November last year for the effects loop upgrade.

I've owned the amp since '90 but was never very happy it. The clean channel was the greatest, but the lead channel was almost unusable. I always felt like there was something wrong with it. I used a Yamaha reverb/delay in the loop...the reverb tank was gone when I got the amp. The lead channel was worthless to me. I stopped using the amp for gigs almost 10 years ago.

When I spoke with Mark B about my amp before sending it in, he told me that there was a "problem" with the effects loop and that the mod fixed it. He did mention that it would change the tone of the amp.

I sent it in for a refurb, got a cap job, the effects loop mod done, had an EQ slider replaced (Mike B does have a few IIB slider caps left for use on amps that are sent in) and bought a reverb tank.

My amp sounds better than it ever did. The lead channel is MUCH tighter. The amp also sounds better at lower volume. I am REALLY glad I got the mod done. But, I was not happy with the amp before the mod. I am now using an Rocktron Xpression in the loop. I am about to start using this amp for gigs again. :D

Good Luck!

Lester

Yes, the reverb sound to "bouncy" and springy on a stock Mark II, IIB. The Mark C and up are fine.

When before the warranty was going to run out on my Mark IIB ('81') the relay channel switching went out on me. I sent it back to the factory. (MESA Boogie plant is 150 miles away).

Mark Benedilli [msp] phoned me back and said he installed a new relay but he said he has some new modification with the reverb and effect loop for a fee directly to him. I said fine, do it.

Funny as I sent my check to him, I received my amp back the day after.

I'm not a stomp box guitarist but the improve effect loop sure made my DigiTech delay unit sound much better. The reverb sound much much better.

I think Mark IIA, MarkIIB it should be a mandatory upgrade.

Ok!!! After talking with Mesa I think my amps been upgraded, although their records only go back 14 years or so. Did Mike B initial the back of your amp at the power cord when he completed the upgrade??? His initials are there on mine..... That would be the cinch-er....

Mike B is the one that does the mod. You make the money order out to him not to Mesa Boogie. So I doubt if you can get it done anywhere other than Mesa home office.

I'd love to know the mod so that I could upgrade it myself I'm about to pull it apart for re-cap anyway so while in there could complete the upgrade also.being in the UK it's difficult to find good mesa amp tech's

Here's some info that will let you know if the mods been done or not.

Quote:
The IIB however had well known "issues" with this effects loop. It tended to overdrive effects when switching into lead mode, and the reverb level in lead mode was markedly decreased. Mike B. and Randy came up with a fix which lead to the effects loop mod for the IIB. It added a fourth master that allowed the effects and reverb levels to be properly balanced. However, it does change the lead sound. The mod gave the IIB a more IIC+ lead tone which is great, but very different from the IIB sound which had a compressed, less gain sound as a result of the "bottle neck" between the pre-amp and the power amp section.

Check out the post effects level control on this modded mark IIB mid page on this site.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/IICPlus.html

Latest posts

Back