Mesa Studio + Macbook + ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haha

Reaction score
So I've got my Studio preamp, my Macbook (and my guitar of course :mrgreen: ). What kind of interface or whatever would you guys recommend me to use to record directly on to the computer? Not sure how much I'm ready to spend on one yet so go crazy (I'm not rich though, not by a long shot :lol: :( )!

Thanks,

Phil

You could go with the line6 ux 1 or 2. And when recording you could just switch off the amp models and use the cab models. It will give you control over which cab you are using and mic and mic placement. I haven't tried this myself but I have an ux2 and a mark4 and this is what I'll be trying next time I have time to record.

When I record my quad direct, i simply plug it into my mixing desk and use the main outs straight into my PC. gives my a really good clean tone and a pretty good dirty sound. I guess you could try to skip the mixer and go directly from the studio into the macbooks line-in.

I also like to plug my amp into guitar rig 3 and use the speaker simulation of it to record direct .. that way you can also add effects to your sound
i guess you should experiment a bit, which way it sounds best for you

I found the UX2 to be a little bit noisy when recording higher volumes - anyone else have any other recommendations? I'm using the new macbook - and my previous recorders were mostly Firewire...now I only have USB options!

The M-Audio Fast Track USB is cheap and works well; it's what I use with my laptop. You could always use impulses for cab simulation too if you don't like the studio pre's recording outs.

i use the Native Instruments GR session. it works awesome. comes with cubase LE. nothing more needed. i know they have the smaller version out. maybe try that. as money goes this is the cheapest way to get up and running. i use the GR3 for bass, works good.

guitar rig mobile. thats the cheaper one. never tried it, but i know the session works well.

Thanks all, keep 'em coming! 8)

By the way, to hook it up I simply connect the preamp to whatever interface or mixer and then to the laptop? I've always been told not to turn on an amp, especially tube amps, without a load and not to miss match that load with the ratings of the outs. Am I right to assume that doesn't apply for preamps since they don't put out as much power as a the power section and their outs don't have any ratings on them?

yeah, i use the recording outs. go straight into my interface then usb to the computer. not the best but gets the job done for a cheap price. PM me your email and i will send you a clip. i have no way of posting clips right now, and it still needs some work, so i'm not posting for all yet.

haha said:
I've always been told not to turn on an amp, especially tube amps, without a load and not to miss match that load with the ratings of the outs. Am I right to assume that doesn't apply for preamps since they don't put out as much power as a the power section and their outs don't have any ratings on them

Yep, that's true. These rules only apply for power amps, with pre amps you don't need to be concerned when turning it on without anything connected!

I've run my ENGL preamp directly into my iMac's sound input. You just need a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and I use Logic and add an impulse response of a guitar cab and it sounds pretty awesome to me.

Turumbar82 said:
I use Logic and add an impulse response of a guitar cab and it sounds pretty awesome to me.

interesting. where do you get these ? are they free programs ?

BENNY said:
Turumbar82 said:
I use Logic and add an impulse response of a guitar cab and it sounds pretty awesome to me.

interesting. where do you get these ? are they free programs ?

No Logic isn't free unfortunately. It's quite expensive. There is also Logic express. These programs are for Mac just so you know. Most any recording software should have something for adding impulse responses. Like Peavey Revalver you can use their cab models or you can load your own IR's that you find. It's pretty neat and sounds great I think.

There are a bunch of IR's around on the net for free of Mesa, Marshall, Engl, and Diezel cabs I've found and there are lots of reverb IR's that are from nice halls and cathedrals and rooms.

Back