Mesa STR 415's useage

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIG4FUN

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I went a little crazy and did find and buy 16 more NOS 6L6 Mesa STR 415's. (sitting on 24 right now!) :oops:

I know they are a perfect tube for the Markk II from my reading But I don't know abou the Mark III and the choice to use them in it.

It's my understanding the the inner/outer sockets are not bias'ed the same either. So I don't know if I may damage anything from putting them in.

Can I put four (all the same 6L6 415's) of them in my Mark III green stripe? I don't know what to expect but before I tube it up with them I should ask my friends who know these things. I will keep the switch in simulclass :) Since I got my C+ I had been ignoring this amp :oops: The Mark III is going to get some attention. I had been running the EL34/6L6 load. (these are JJ's)

Load and go? or look out! What should I think about here?

Where in the world are you finding 24 NOS STR415's? I only ever see them once in a while on Ebay and they are usually used.

boogietone said:
Where in the world are you finding 24 NOS STR415's? I only ever see them once in a while on Ebay and they are usually used.

A man that used to come over and play guitar with me and my Dad in the late 60's early 70's and has been a Boogie player for years. I saw him play a few years ago ( actually eighties.., I'm "old" too!) and I marveled and teased him that he wasn't playing Fender anymore. Well, It paid to "visit" him at home. He has a few more goodies I "hope" to aquire. He's retired from playing. It's amazing to see him again after all these years. He horded things too. (more to come :) ) me lucky me lucky

When I bought my brand new Mark III Simul in 1990, it came with 415s (6L6) and 416s (EL-34). FWIW.
At that time, the manual said it was OK to use all 6L6s. Later, Mesa recommended against this, as the quality of 6L6s was sketchy, and reliability in the outer sockets was suspect. I'm sure it's OK again.
Got any extra 415s for sale? It's a sin to be selfish. :wink:

MrMarkIII said:
When I bought my brand new Mark III Simul in 1990, it came with 415s (6L6) and 416s (EL-34). FWIW.

I now have both my amps running this setup. The ultimate for a simulclass Boogie, in my opinion. The STR-416 6CA7/EL34 has the warm midrange AND a full sounding low frequency response :D .

Back