Mesa Roadster tone@ lamb of god

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendercustom

Reaction score
im a proud owner of the roadster. i really like it, but there is one thing im not satisfied with...its that i dont think its that tight i want it to be...if you listen to lamb of god for example, they have really tight distortion and i also noticed that willie adler in lamb of god used the roadster.

how can he get it so tight...is it the tubes or the settnings? if u know some settnings or tubes that is good for that kind of style i appreciate you to share it :)

LoG use Mark IV's and that is where the tightness comes from. I have heard that EL34's make the Roadster much tighter. You might try that and let me know, coz I'm thinking of doing it myself next tube change... :)

yeah but i think mark sounds to pussy :) and willie adlers uses both roadster and mark but i think he use the roadster more now he got more brutal tone but still its tight

Try puting an eq in the loop (10 band mxr with scooped mids works great) for making an already great heavy sound even more tight and menacing. Give that great speaker chunking sound. I start with the ch4 recto-modern setting from the manual and tweak it to my guitar, kick in the eq and be ready to catch you jaw as it drops!

Yeah, an EQ could help as well... Good point. And the Mark is definitely not pink! Mine could get super heavy when EQ'd right.

An EQ in the loop of a Recto basically gives you control like that of the GEQ on the Mark IV IMO... It's a post preamp EQ in both cases...

Well,

LOG uses the mark4 about 90% of the time, on the last record they also used a stiletto, and a sans amp.

So, the Brutal tone you are talking about is NOT a rectifier. I seriously doubt that live you heard the difference, Last time i saw them (Ozzfest) there wasnt really a hint of that in his tone. (There wasnt very much bass in his tone at all).

So, LOG's tone is from the Mark4.

I play in a thrash band, and tryed for a long time to make a recto as tight as I needed it. I never got what I wanted.

The closest I got was with EL34's and a boost pedal (Modded Tube Screamer). The EQ will definately help also.

there is a video on the website when mark morton is talking...i think he mentioned that willie uses a roadster....not sure:D

fendercustom said:
there is a video on the website when mark morton is talking...i think he mentioned that willie uses a roadster....not sure:D

say it ain't so! all the mark users will start crying if u find that video.....cause when it comes to tightness a lot of mark users refer to LOG.

Willie DOES use a roadster.

Im simply saying that if you want LOG's Tone, its comes from a mark IV, and not a roadster.

And on top of that, I have been a fan of LOG for going on 6 years now. Ive been to most of the shows they have done here in phoenix, and when I saw them this last time at OZZfest, (which is when he implemented the roadster), I couldnt tell a difference.

Honestly, when i had my Mark4 Scooped, and compared it to my recto, the Mark had MORE useable bass, was a lot more aggressive, and still well defined.

Willie scoops his EQ for the low end chunk, mark pushes his mids for the sizzley lead sound.

That video Fendercustom is refering to, IS on the Mesa/Boogie website. Check it.

EDIT: Willie is running the Mark IV AND the roadster at the same time. Not just the roadster. The mark sound is still the LOG staple. And is still what is used on EVERY log record.

yeah i know LOG uses Mark most of the time..but i saw a demo when willie adler and mark morton played redneck and that sound willie had is very similar to my roadster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NjqDgqhTg

That seems to be right after the album came out- There is one mark4 short head on top of the right cab - which i assume is willies from where the cords are going. Also, the cab on the right is on top of a flat square roadcase - i dont really think hed have a roadster in there. His implementation of a roadster is much more recent also.

Good luck finding the tone you like, I think with the 3 main things that people have suggested (El34's, EQ, and Boosting) you could get a tone you enjoy!

Scoop the mids, in a slight half moon (down) the first time. then keep pulling the mids down, and pushing the highs and lows more, until you find what you like.

go gradually, eventually, the bass will sound farty, and the highs will get peaky, and finally, with no mids, you wont be able to hear it into a mix, its all about balance.

Also, I would reccomend putting most of your EQ's on the amp at noon, or about there, to start.

I find the EL34 to tighten things up. Of course, on the RKII, all I have to do is flick a switch for that. :D

umm the other amps on their albums are mainyl for textures and accentation for certain parts. IE a sans amp will be used or a jmp preamp into a stilleto power amp for like picked parts and overdubbs with wah. if you listen closely to the songs...

new american gospel - all mark iv for mark and willie used a framus dragon or cobra, seymour duncan invader

as the palaces burn - all mark iv, seymour duncan sh59

ashes of the wake/sacrament - all mark iv, sd sh59 BUT sansamp, marshall, other boutique small wattage amps used to overdub over mark iv for additional pick attack during some parts. the actual sounds themselves from the other amps were with virtually no distortion just a lot of clipping to add a crackling sound. there are also a lot of wah, phaser, effectish stuff on top for certain parts in songs. they used the stilleto for some leads as well as a road king here and there.

the more important part of their sound is having the seymour duncan 59's or pickups of that type. ie i have a guitar with dimarzio virtual hot paf which is like very identical to the SD 59...

the low output pickups give them their distinctive tone. i can pretty much nail as close as possible with a mark iv and those pickups.

if you use ch3 vintage on the roadster or road king whatever it is and set it right with the mids and gain you should be able to get something kind of close. the general character as far as bite really comes from pickups. you will be suprised. you can never get their tone even with a mark iv without low output vintage paf voiced pickups which contributes as much to their tone as does the mark iv.

btu you are never going to get the same characterisitcs with a roadster because they are voiced very different.

fendercustom said:
yeah but i think mark sounds to pussy :) and willie adlers uses both roadster and mark but i think he use the roadster more now he got more brutal tone but still its tight

Hey idiot, if you don't think the mark series are brutal enough then you clearly just picked up a guitar or never really learned to play. It must be because of your incompetent playing abilities. Maybe not being able to pick hard enough? PS You have tin ears and I'd appreciate it if you didn't reply back to this because im not going to bother looking back yuo waste of life.

Latest posts

Back