Mesa Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicarii

Reaction score
Thought I'd shed some light on the earlier post requesting info for the maverick and heartbreaker. Although this is my first post on this board, I have haunted the ezboard boogie forum for many years.

I own a 1999 Mesa Maverick 2x12. The maverick was put into the lineup to appeal to "lower gain" and "roots" players, basically blues, country, classic rock type people. It is a 2 channel amplifier, and is relatively simple for a mesa. The clean channel has gain (labelled volume), treble, mid, bass, reverb, and channel volume. The distortion channel has the same, and then there is a global master volume. There is also a bright/fat switch for the clean channel, which basically pushes the channel into some breakup easier if you switch it to fat.

It has the typical rectifier select switch, an effects loop, and a slave output on the back.

The Mav is a 35 watt amplifier, it runs 4 el84 tubes class A in the power supply. The best analogy I can think of for this amp is a hot rodded vox ac30. You are going to get that classic el84 british vox sound but there is a lot more gain on tap than an ac30 could provide and of course, 2 discreet channels with separate eq.

In my experience, this amp is absolutely awesome. No question about it. The cleans are phenomenal, especially with my G&L Legacy (strat). The great thing about the clean channel is the breakup you can get from it by turning up the gain and clicking the fat switch. The mid gain tones in this setting are unbelievable! The second channel does have quite a bit of gain. When I was originally going to buy this amp I was worried by Mesa's write up that it wouldn't have enough gain for good rock tones. After owning it for two years, I would say yes and no to that. Basically, the gain you get from the distortion channel is very guitar dependant. My Les Paul Classic drives that channel with serious authority, and it gets an extremely harmonic solo sound. But the single-coil G&L just can't push the preamp like the Les Paul can. I have found that the amp responds extremely well to a mild overdrive pedal, such as a tube screamer, or OD-1. That pedal really makes the maverick setup complete. The input is extremely sensitive to being overdriven by a hot pickup or overdrive pedal.

The maverick won't be suitable for metal players or for "hard rock" players. It should pretty much appeal to the same people who are looking at the lonestar special. It is a great class A tube amp, and can NAIL vintage rock tones. The cleans channel is basically your vox ac30 tone, plus you get a really great sounding gain channel. My one complaint about the Maverick would be that the low end for the gain channel is only "adequate". It just won't get good low-end chunkiness. But, as I said before, it is really not a metal or even a hard rock amp.

If you really want great vintage tones but don't want to pay for or mess with the hassles of buying old voxes or marshalls, this is the amp for you. It gets that classic british class A sound in a no-fuss, built-like-a-tank package.

Very good review. In my case I love the 4x10 more than the 2x12 but that is personal taste, this amp is just fantastic.

I haven't gotten to play a 4x10 version, but I have always wondered whether the low end is a bit better than the 2x12. The 4x10 was the most expensive format, so I wondered if Mesa tweaked the amp for that format and that is why the bass is borderline in the 2x12. Just a thought.

I nearly owned a 1x12" version but decided at the last min. that lugging two amps to a show was too much just to switch to a lower gain sound,I have a 3 channel rec and set channel 2 to vintage witht he gain back a tad for a more breakup effect and this is sooo much easier than a/b ing betwwen two different amps,still beautiful amp always looked over by most mesa users,mmmmmm shame really,great gear

then again its a mesa of course its gonna be great

I have played both in the store to compare, the 4x10 has more clarity and for me has the best tone out of those, I think the Maverick is one of the best amps that mesa has ever done. Of course, personal taste.

LPClassic said:
I have played both in the store to compare, the 4x10 has more clarity and for me has the best tone out of those, I think the Maverick is one of the best amps that mesa has ever done. Of course, personal taste.
:cry: I don't own one .... => yet. :twisted:
I was just about to fork down $ for a LoneStar Special since I was looking for "AC30 Vox" power section amp and with many preamp options.

But then a thought came up after some research: => Comparing the preamp section of Trem-o-Verb and Maverick, other than the ToV's Red Channel Modern High Gain Mode, and quartet of 6L6s A/B powered to Maverick's "Class A" powered, they have so many similarities, mode switch, two channel, rectifier solid state or tube switch etc.

Since I pretty much "mastered" the ToV (I don't use the Red Channel Modern Hi Gain mode much unless I'm jamming with my metal head friends) seems like I would feel at home with the Maverick.

I know they're different animals for different applications but same principle manipulating the tone controls and switches.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the LoneStar Special. BUT ... having played owned smaller amps, there's something about output transformer saturation drive that makes these smaller amps tone so special.
I played a LoneStar Special's 5 watt mode and 15 watt mode. They're fine but the transformer is still a 'clean' 30 watt or so output transformer.

I know when it comes to playing and comparing rectifier tube vs silicon rectifier is somewhat less obvious with a Class A operation than with a Class A/B amps, but hey, Maverick gives the option of either rectifier while the LoneStar Special at 30 watt only uses a solid state rectifier. Doesn't give you both options like the Maverick.

There's absolute nothing wrong with LoneStar Special which I think is MESA's updated version of their family of quartet of EL84s which includes Mavericks and Blue Angel, and maybe DC5[?]) but for me I think I rather go with the familiarity with the Maverick!

Sicarii said:
The Mav is a 35 watt amplifier, it runs 4 el84 tubes class A in the power supply. The best analogy I can think of for this amp is a hot rodded vox ac30.

In my experience, this amp is absolutely awesome. No question about it. The cleans are phenomenal, especially with my G&L Legacy (strat).

When I was originally going to buy this amp I was worried by Mesa's write up that it wouldn't have enough gain for good rock tones. Basically, the gain you get from the distortion channel is very guitar dependant.

The maverick won't be suitable for metal players or for "hard rock" players. It should pretty much appeal to the same people who are looking at the lonestar special.The cleans channel is basically your vox ac30 tone, plus you get a really great sounding gain channel.

My one complaint about the Maverick would be that the low end for the gain channel is only "adequate". It just won't get good low-end chunkiness. But, as I said before, it is really not a metal or even a hard rock amp.

If you really want great vintage tones but don't want to pay for or mess with the hassles of buying old voxes or marshalls, this is the amp for you. It gets that classic british class A sound in a no-fuss, built-like-a-tank package.

I guess that is kinda fair. I have owned mine for only a month or so, but the amount of at volume playing time has been enough to give fair review.
Sorry, but I'm gonna bounce off, agree and disagree with your on points.

I'll start by saying it's been a 10yrs waite. I just recently decide to stop screwing around.

I haven't played enough AC30's to say, but to say "The cleans are phenomenal" hahahahahaha!!!!! They are like GOD!!! Even at 3/4's volume. I'm so turned out by the actual clean sounds.

The clean channel. Has me already wanting to buy another Maverick. There are like 4 truely different sounds just on channel one. From clean clean to pretty nasty vintage drive. I don't want to call out likes of other amps.

I also play G&L guitars. I play a Legacy, SH Asat, and a USA Hamer P-90 Special. I will say that all three guitars sound like them selves through this amp and yes the Legacy pushes the amp alot less than the others.

Where I start to disagree is the gain channel. While what I said just above is true. You must keep in mind that I set the amps gain channel based the Hamer which is perfect for rock, hard rock, and punk. This is only at 50% on the gain. I can set the gain up to make the Legacy have that amount of gain with ease.

I would say that this amp has more than enough gain in it to play any style of heavey music. I'm not saying there is so much gain that it's gonna make up for poor playing, crappy bridges, and pickups, but with propper muting and attack I don't see the gain or low end lacking in any fashion.

As far as the low end goes. I don't know what you want. I have the gain channels bass on 9 o'clock and at times wish I had it down a bit more and that is on a 1x12 closed back.

I would like to come right out and say. I know for most people this amp will not have the gain most Mesa fans look for. I don't understand that but I'm not you. I don't have your hands.

I prefer the amp to be lively. If I play soft the amp must play soft. If I play hard the amp responds and plays hard also. To me it lends to a more solid sound. I grew up in Tampa in the heart of the death metal. You wouldn't believe the setting on some of the guys amps. In short alot less than what the amp had on tap.

So for me this amp is everything I wanted it to be. I really don't channel switch with it. I use it as two diferent amps and it works extremly well.

This remind me the first time I tried one, it was a 2 x 12, I was not very excited since I though it was too dark... then some years later a 4x10 arrive and since I liked the way it looks, I started to play a little, also I was understanding a little better how to work the amp, then a friend of mine starte to play in the store (later in time) with the gain and that's when I finally understand the amp... wow, love the incredible cleans, and get the gain in the clean to respond amazingly well just tons of tone coming out of this amp... it took me sometime but after understanding how to work it... then it become a problem because, every **** guitar I played through it sounded so good that I ended up buying it, so after a couple of years I finally bought the amp... and sometime later they discontinue the line and get myself a second one.... of all my almost 30 amps and preamps, this is the best to me.

I have a head and the speaker I'm using to run loud isn't of my choice. It's just what I can barrow.

As far as being dark. I'm addressing that with a Weber Blue Dog in a Tone-Tool custom cab.

I play a Asat mostly, and the other two for demanded parts. So, dark isn't really dark for me, but what ever I want to call it the added chime and brightness will be welcomed feature of the Blue Dog.

Can't waite for the call to come pick up the cab from Sarasota in hopefuly 2 months.

asattwanger said:
Sicarii said:
The Mav is a 35 watt amplifier, it runs 4 el84 tubes class A in the power supply. The best analogy I can think of for this amp is a hot rodded vox ac30.

In my experience, this amp is absolutely awesome. No question about it. The cleans are phenomenal, especially with my G&L Legacy (strat).

When I was originally going to buy this amp I was worried by Mesa's write up that it wouldn't have enough gain for good rock tones. Basically, the gain you get from the distortion channel is very guitar dependant.

The maverick won't be suitable for metal players or for "hard rock" players. It should pretty much appeal to the same people who are looking at the lonestar special.The cleans channel is basically your vox ac30 tone, plus you get a really great sounding gain channel.

My one complaint about the Maverick would be that the low end for the gain channel is only "adequate". It just won't get good low-end chunkiness. But, as I said before, it is really not a metal or even a hard rock amp.

I guess that is kinda fair. I have owned mine for only a month or so, but the amount of at volume playing time has been enough to give fair review.
Sorry, but I'm gonna bounce off, agree and disagree with your on points.

I'll start by saying it's been a 10yrs waite. I just recently decide to stop screwing around.

I haven't played enough AC30's to say, but to say "The cleans are phenomenal" hahahahahaha!!!!! They are like GOD!!! Even at 3/4's volume. I'm so turned out by the actual clean sounds.

The clean channel. Has me already wanting to buy another Maverick. There are like 4 truely different sounds just on channel one. From clean clean to pretty nasty vintage drive. I don't want to call out likes of other amps.

I also play G&L guitars. I play a Legacy, SH Asat, and a USA Hamer P-90 Special. I will say that all three guitars sound like them selves through this amp and yes the Legacy pushes the amp alot less than the others.

Where I start to disagree is the gain channel. While what I said just above is true. You must keep in mind that I set the amps gain channel based the Hamer which is perfect for rock, hard rock, and punk. This is only at 50% on the gain. I can set the gain up to make the Legacy have that amount of gain with ease.

I would say that this amp has more than enough gain in it to play any style of heavey music. I'm not saying there is so much gain that it's gonna make up for poor playing, crappy bridges, and pickups, but with propper muting and attack I don't see the gain or low end lacking in any fashion.

As far as the low end goes. I don't know what you want. I have the gain channels bass on 9 o'clock and at times wish I had it down a bit more and that is on a 1x12 closed back.

I would like to come right out and say. I know for most people this amp will not have the gain most Mesa fans look for. I don't understand that but I'm not you. I don't have your hands.

I prefer the amp to be lively. If I play soft the amp must play soft. If I play hard the amp responds and plays hard also. To me it lends to a more solid sound. I grew up in Tampa in the heart of the death metal. You wouldn't believe the setting on some of the guys amps. In short alot less than what the amp had on tap.

So for me this amp is everything I wanted it to be. I really don't channel switch with it. I use it as two diferent amps and it works extremly well.

I want to first point out that we both love this amp, and so I'm not trying to bash it, I'm just trying to provide my opinion on its operation. I totally respect your opinion but I am still going to have to say that the gain is lower COMPARATIVELY than many other amplifiers. I use it mostly for classic rock/alt country etc., and with my les paul it just nails the solo and crunch sound I need. This is on Channel 2 with the preamp distortion at about 2 oclock. With the legacy the gain must be almost maxed to get the same level of sustain, but I hate running the preamp gain that high because it makes the other tone controls less responsive. That is why I run an overdrive into the amp with the legacy. I'm not using any distortion from the pedal, just using the output level and tone controls to overdrive the input.

As far as bass goes, it has enough. But it doesn't have TOO MUCH. In comparison to Fender Super Reverbs or a Vibro King or even my DC-10 it just doesn't have that super low end. I'm not saying its terrible, but it's all relative, you know? And, a Thiele cab may actually have a bit better bass response because of the closed back. Once again, I think this might come down to the 2x12 open back format more than the amp design itself, although my DC-10 is the same format, and like I said, more bass in that thing.

I do respect people that play the Mav. It just seems like such an overlooked boogie to me, but the tone is incredible. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing it, just pointing out what I would consider to be slightly weaker points in an incredible amp.

I owned 2 Mavericks. Both 2-12 combos. Tubed the exact same way & they were as different as night and day from the get go.

The first one (My favorite) was EVERYTHING a Maverick is supposed to be. Good gain but not extreme HIGH gain and good bottom but not "alot" of bottom.

The second one I also liked but it was darker sounding w/ more gain and tons more bottom.

That is a really interesting piece of information. Was there a difference in the year each was made? Maybe a revision or something like that?

I do respect people that play the Mav. It just seems like such an overlooked boogie to me, but the tone is incredible

It's true the maverick may be overlooked on the boogie board. But over at thegearpage. quite a few people have high praise for the amp. many have called it the poor man's dumble.

Sicarii said:
That is a really interesting piece of information. Was there a difference in the year each was made? Maybe a revision or something like that?

I dont know the years they were. Both were built exactly alike except for 1 area..... I took pictures of them both..... the "normal" sounding one is first then the "Dark" sounding one. This area on the boards is the ONLY difference I could find between the 2 of them.

mavnorm.jpg

mavdark.jpg

Songgrinder, have you contacted Mesa about that?

Sicarii, I understand all your saying. I'm not taking any offense at all to your review of the amp. We both know what's up and that is the most important.

I use the amp for country, surf, jazz, rock, hard rock, punk, and metalish sounding stuff. The drop A stuff I'm going on the Asat is really outstanding sounding.

Yes, this amp doesn't have as much gain as other amps.

With other amps, I play them and wonder why people need so much gain. I have played sorts of hardcore/punk/metal/almost death on amps with less gain than the Maverick. A 70's POS silver face Bassman & a GK ML250 flat faced really stands out in my mind.

I guess when you learn to play in the world of high gain you totaly become dependant on it. Leaving people kinda lost with it's not there. Players {friends} with way more playablity than I couldn't hang 10 mins with the GK, but told me that I sounded outstanding with plenty of gain.

Not dising one amp or another or players over another. It's just what comes out. I never owned a humbucker guitar. I don't need it to be heavey. Most do.

Your review is very creditable for those who have lived high gain. This board is full of them.

Mine is very creditable for those who have lived low gain. For those who have made low gain amps do what modern high gain amps do with little or no effects.

I remember when Zakk Wylde came out and talked about his Marshall rig and how people would play his guitar and amp and sound nothing like him. Either not enough gain and lacking sustain, or would feedback on them. My sound is in my hands. He said.

What he didn't say was " if I don't play this set up right, like I know how to, I won't sound like myself either"

Who am I able to talk for Zakk Wylde. No one. I'm a zero in guitar hero, but what he said about others playing his rig and what I know about my rigs playing heavey music. Is if the attack is not right neither is the sound. Palm to heavey or anywhere other than the sweet spot a super loss in gain, way to much bass, and sounds like a different guitar and amp all together.

This is the difference between smoking low gain and using high gain amps.

Where on a high gain amp you can mute almost anywhere on the bridge and still sound basicly the same. Hell if you have enough gain there is almost no difference between muteing and not.

This is what allows me to say and others that play like me. There has to be some. That the Maverick will do metal and does it well. Kinda a shame that I have to go into such great detail. O-well it's fun. Maybe some people will try lesser gain sounds and discover more bass, better cutting highs, and over all tighter sound, but they are also forwarned the limations when you fail to cut it. I've failed entire gigs because of it.

O-yeah. I use a Dod 308 with slight DB boost and ever so slightly added grit. Few would notice the difference.

All in all. I'm with ya. The Maverick is badass. We just approach it differently. I'm ok with that.

Great thread guys, and asattwanger a really good response! I totally agree with your assessment of gain. When I was in my teens (20 years ago!) I had the realization that huge amounts of distortion are not needed for a heavy sound, and that with tube amps, your picking hand is often what can take you from drive to overdrive. Life has never been the same, and my playing dynamics have only improved as a result! BTW, I really wanted a Maverick when they were in production but couldn't afford one (wedding debts to pay :( ). Now I can afford one, but they don't make them anymore! Well, I just got myself an Express 5:50 1x12 combo and am very happy!

Cheers,

Richt

Does anyone have the Tube Task Chart for the Maverick? It is included in almost all the other MESA manuals but not in the one for the maverick. You'd think it would be too, since the Mav supposedly has completely separate tubes for each channel. It is a useful tool in diagnosing tube problems, and I would love to have it.

I am a former owner of the 4x10 version and really regret letting it go, although I had some reliability issues with mine involving the pots getting "pushed in" and not working. I also hated to lug it around as it was not only heavy but physically large. I think the lack of thumping bottom end is a direct result of using the el-84 power section, but I never thought it had too little low end, just mot nearly the boom of a 6l6 amp. On most of my Boogies(Mark series usually), I find I run the bass at 3 or less, the Mav was just a very different animal. I think the worst mistake Mesa made with the Maverick was to put the big "Rectifier" label on the front which lead some folks to expect a different sound. It occurs to me Mesa has had some real issues with their marketing, sometimes being too cool for their own good and using very wierd descriptions of the tones one might expect. Go find their literature describing the Nomads for a good example and a chuckle to boot :roll: . Z

Yeah I totally agree that Mesa had some strange marketing from that era. I just really don't think the literature does the Maverick justice. It's all this "channel switching is for sissies" and "medium-low gain territory" stuff that makes you think this amp is a blue angel with a second channel. They should have marketed it as a classic style amp with a good hot-rodded sound. If you want to read a Mesa write up that really makes you wince, bring up the literature on the heartbreaker! :roll: :oops: It's almost as funny as Peavey's XXX amp having a control for HAIR and one for BOTTOM...

Big Bottom drives me out of my mind! How could I leave this behind?

You guys are right. The marketing was abit crazy on these amps you mentioned, but at the same time. How do you market a amp that is kinda away from the normal you have pushed for a long time?

All I can say is it would have been different in my mind.

I like the Dual Rec logo. The brown color and white looks good.

Not my best post. Owell, have a good day guys.

Back