Mesa Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zoner said:
... I think the worst mistake Mesa made with the Maverick was to put the big "Rectifier" label on the front which lead some folks to expect a different sound. It occurs to me Mesa has had some real issues with their marketing, sometimes being too cool for their own good and using very wierd descriptions of the tones one might expect. Go find their literature describing the Nomads for a good example and a chuckle to boot :roll: . Z
True, during this era of Mavericks popularity, Tremo-Verb, Heartbreaker, Blue Angel had the writing on the chassis "Dual Rectifier". It gave me the impression (which holds true) => a switch for either solid state rectifier or tube rectifier.

But Dual Rectifier is alway associates with MESA Engineering's Dual (or Tri) Rectifier hi gain amp family which seems misleading for these other amps mentioned above. :?

Sicarii said:
If you want to read a Mesa write up that really makes you wince, bring up the literature on the heartbreaker! :roll: :oops: It's almost as funny as Peavey's XXX amp having a control for HAIR and one for BOTTOM...

Big Bottom drives me out of my mind! How could I leave this behind?

Funny, but check This out. Note specifically the switch covers!

Sicarii said:
Does anyone have the Tube Task Chart for the Maverick? It is included in almost all the other MESA manuals but not in the one for the maverick. You'd think it would be too, since the Mav supposedly has completely separate tubes for each channel. It is a useful tool in diagnosing tube problems, and I would love to have it.

I have all the original papers on the 2x12 combo for the Maverick.

Jim :roll:

songrider said:
Sicarii said:
That is a really interesting piece of information. Was there a difference in the year each was made? Maybe a revision or something like that?

I dont know the years they were. Both were built exactly alike except for 1 area..... I took pictures of them both..... the "normal" sounding one is first then the "Dark" sounding one. This area on the boards is the ONLY difference I could find between the 2 of them.

mavnorm.jpg

mavdark.jpg

That black component in the upper right seems to be the only real difference & from the solder points, it appears to be a post manufacturer modification.

Latest posts

Back