Mesa Head selection, advice needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooba

Reaction score
Hey Guys and or Gals,

I haven't been around this board since i sold my recto solo 50 and i'm looking for a little advice.

in the not so distant past i had a Rectifier solo 50 it was a series 2, i also had a Marshall DSL 50, so when i got the Mesa i sold the DSL and all was good, then i realised i missed the marshallness although i liked the Mesa for what it was and enjoyed it, so in my travels i came across a Soldano Hot Rod 50 (the single channel one not the 50+ with the 2 channels), so having always wanted a soldano i jumped on it, then after a while i found i needed some cash so having had the soldano the least amount of time i tried to sell it, with no luck, so i put the mesa up and it went pretty quickly (i got back what i paid for it so i was happy with that).

So i've had the soldano for a while now and i really love it, i'm so glad i gave it more of a chance and it's grown on me totally, but i needed another amp as i don't like putting all my faith in one amp and i like to use different amps for overdubs when we record things, so i picked up a JCM 800 2204.

I've been playing the 2204 a bit now and it just isn't doing it for me, i know plenty of people love this amp but for me the hot rod 50 does the 800 sound but better.

This got me thinking about Mesa again, I think as far as my main amp goes i'll be using the soldano still but i'm looking for something that will offer me some versatility (i don't need a crystal clean sound so thats not a big thing), in versatility i'm thinking multi channel, i enjoyed the options the solo 50 gave me in regards to it's modes etc. I'm also looking for an amp that will sound good paired up witht the soldano during recording.

We play punk/rock and i'm using a soldano 4x12 (2xsoldano x12000 speakers and 2x celestion V30's), i don't use effects as a rule either)

So after all that i'm after advice on which Mesa fits the bill,
Another Solo 50?
Dual Rec?
Stilleto 50?
MK III?

anything else?

Thanks in advance for reading my long winded post and your advice.
Steve

My 2 cents:

If this head is mostly for recording purposes and you're not going to be using it live to replace the Soldano or run along side the Soldano, I'd say go with a Mark Series head. Which one specifically will depend on your tastes, I guess. A Rec series head would do good for you too, just depends on your volume and gain requirements...tuning, etc.

I like the JCM 800 2204 too, but I hear what you mean when you say that it just "wasn't doin' it for you". Sometimes when I run a JCM 800 I feel like there's something missing...that it's close, but it's not quite there... Almost like as you're turning your gain up, right before it goes where you want it, it falls apart and you have to back it off a little. I think the JCM 800's "sweet spot" falls a little...short?

single rectos are very good. played with my rectoverb last night and it smokes everything. very loud amp!!!

If the Soldano has a Marshall vibe to it, get something that's opposite to best complement it. In other words, steer clear of the Stilleto's. Go for either a Rectifier or Mark. Single, Dual, and Triple all have the same sound. Some versions sound better than others though, such as the Tremoverb or the early 90's Duals. Singles sound good also. Just pick one.

As for the Marks, The 2c+ is bright and creamy, the III's are similar to the C+ but lack some of the smoothness, and the IV is like the C+ but darker and most versatile

Elpelotero said:
If the Soldano has a Marshall vibe to it, get something that's opposite to best complement it. In other words, steer clear of the Stilleto's. Go for either a Rectifier or Mark. Single, Dual, and Triple all have the same sound. Some versions sound better than others though, such as the Tremoverb or the early 90's Duals. Singles sound good also. Just pick one.

As for the Marks, The 2c+ is bright and creamy, the III's are similar to the C+ but lack some of the smoothness, and the IV is like the C+ but darker and most versatile
Well said and I completely agree. Thank you for giving him actual information instead of my vague ramblings :)

May I add that: "the IV is like the C+ but darker and most versatile"...and tighter then the Rectifiers.

Thanks for the input guys,

I sold my single recto due to needing some cash, i think another recto is the way i'm heading for the exact reasons stated above which is to have some more versatility.

Thanks for the guidance.

Steve

Latest posts

Back