Mesa Dual Rectifier Head Problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
This is my first post. Thanks for having me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My brother who plays in an indie punk band received a Dual Rectifier head from a friend who wasn't using it because its broken.

Basicially it won't turn on. His friend had said that he thinks it was broken due to the previous owner hooking it up to a cabinet with the wrong ohmage.

I realize that a number of things could be causing it to not turn on, but I wanted to ask for any advice on what the possible problems could be?

I am no tube amp expert but could it be something as simple as a blown fuse? Someone had also suggested the transformer could be blown. If its the transformer, does anyone know how much that repair would cost?

If its a fuse could anyone suggest how we could check it on the Dual Rec?

Thanks

look on the back of the amp and there should be a fuse holder somewhere near where the power cord connects. check that out and if its no good then get a new one and see if the amp turns on.

If it blows again, put in a new set of power tubes.

If the fuse is fine but amp doesnt power up at all it could be your power transformer and those are pretty expensive ($100 for a new one + labor)

I doubt it would be an output transformer because power would still get to the amp and as long is it is hooked up to a reasonably close ohm speaker i bet you could get away with it.

My bet would be get a new fuse and a new set of 6L6s

lerxst88 said:
look on the back of the amp and there should be a fuse holder somewhere near where the power cord connects. check that out and if its no good then get a new one and see if the amp turns on.

If it blows again, put in a new set of power tubes.

If the fuse is fine but amp doesnt power up at all it could be your power transformer and those are pretty expensive ($100 for a new one + labor)

I doubt it would be an output transformer because power would still get to the amp and as long is it is hooked up to a reasonably close ohm speaker i bet you could get away with it.

My bet would be get a new fuse and a new set of 6L6s

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Areola said:
You got given a free Dual Rectifier.
Areola said:
What's the problem?
"Got Given"

lerxst88 said:
If the fuse is fine but amp doesn't power up at all it could be your power transformer and those are pretty expensive ($100 for a new one + labor)
IMO, the description "pretty expensive" doesn't really apply to a FREE dual rectifier that just needs to be repaired. Since dual rectifiers usually sell for over $1,000 on the private market, I'd say you're in pretty good shape unless the repairs cost you $1,000 ;)

Also, if it does happen to be the power transformer, I recommend that you purchase the best power transformer you can get for it and not worry very much about price. Since the amp didn't cost you anything in the first place, there isn't much of a reason to "skimp" on the power transformer, which is a very important part of the amplifier's overall performance. You're in a unique position because the amplifier "should" be worth more then the cost of repairs...

Thanks to all for the replies. Yes, we received the Dual Rectifier head for free since it was from a friend who plays in the same band. The head has some roadwear on it so its not mint by any means and we still have to buy a cab but will most likely be using a backline in the meantime for playing live once it gets fixed.

Update on the amp:

We replaced the fuse and when turning it on, it blew out the fuse again. Next my brother took it to a shop and they recommended that he replace 2 of the rectifier tubes which they sold him for about $45. He replaced the fuse again and installed the rectifier tubes and he says the fuse blew out again and possibly the rectifier tubes.

We're not sure whats wrong with the amp at this pont and are beginning to think it needs to be brought in to a qualified tech.

Can anyone comment on the level of difficulty in replacing the transformer? Does this need to be done by a shop? Thanks!

Don't just throw parts and tubes at it unless you know they're bad. Pull out the rectifier tubes and set the rectifier switch to solid state. Power it up and see if it blows the fuse. If it blows the fuse like that then try another set of power tubes while leaving the rectifier tubes out and having it set to solid state. If it still blows then take it to a tech.
Jerry

FJA Mods said:
Don't just throw parts and tubes at it unless you know they're bad. Pull out the rectifier tubes and set the rectifier switch to solid state. Power it up and see if it blows the fuse. If it blows the fuse like that then try another set of power tubes while leaving the rectifier tubes out and having it set to solid state. If it still blows then take it to a tech.
Jerry
^^^^^^ Listen to da Jerry!!

Latest posts

Back