Mesa and Modeling Pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Fever

Reaction score
For those who have them, I am curious about any good success with modeling pedals. I bought my LSS and Mark IV in an attempt to get away from effects pedals, but the ability to buy an AC30 or several other amps of interest is just not there. Down the road, hopefully a Stiletto Ace, but that will be awhile.

I just ordered the Tech 21 Liverpool which is supposed to cover the AC30 realm. I've never been able to get my head around how you get the sound of one amp right when you are putting it through the electronics of another amp. It seems that you really have to get the host amp as flat as possible. On the same note, how do the all in one boards like the Boss GT8 work?

Thanks for the input.

The model makers (GT-8, GNX-4, etc.), and their various forums recommend running into your amps Effect Return to minimize pre-amp coloration. Or run your modeling pedal into powered P.A. speakers. All in order to achieve a neutral sound.
My experience, running a GNX-4, is no matter what, you gotta tweak them puppies 'till they sound good. The problem, of course, is that these things are almost infinitely tweak-able, so it can be a very time consuming hobby!

I run a GT-6 through my loop, and it sounds sweet. Love the EQ section. Don't need the preamp section. Mod and delay effects are nice IMO.It really needs to be tweeked differently then you would if you were to run it through the front of the amp. If you get the perfect sound through the loop and try it through the front it sounds like crap. Visa Versa as well. The preamp section of the MKIV is so bad ***, you really don't need an FX unit with a preamp built in. If you like boss effects, get an ME model instead.

Rob Marcello of Danger Danger came by my work a couple weeks ago and demo'd the GT10. I was pretty impressed. We ran it stereo into Roadster and Rectoverb combos. In this scenario I think the most coloration of sound came from the vintage 30s. You could (obviously) tell a difference between the closed Roadster and the 3/4 ROV but overall I was surprised at what kind of sounds we were able to get.

Latest posts

Back