Maybe in the market for a dual or triple rectifier. Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrissey

Reaction score
I've been lurking around forums and such and basically, I'm looking for a high gain amp..not just high gain but with usable gain and rich tone. I'm looking into the dual or the triple rectifier. I'm not sure as what the difference is between both but they're pretty much the same price. I play aggressive metal and looking for a God Forbid tone as well as strapping young lad and I know SYL uses mesa's. Would I get a nice, rich, thick, high gain distortion, with sparkling leads from either of these 2 amps? Cleans aren't as important..but now I find out that I may need that feature in case I need that sound. Thanks for your help!

Also, I've been hearing that the Peavey 5150 II or 6505 plus is pretty much the same, but cheaper and more reliable. I owned the Peavey, although I liked the gain on it, the tone isn't what I was looking for. Please hope the Peavey isn't the same as these.

I love the dual's and think they are perfect for that type of music. I don't have any experience with the triples, but I'm sure they are fairly close in tone. The big thing to watch when looking at these amps is the speakers. I can't stand how they sound with v30's, but love how they sound with EV's and Sheffields.
I don't think they sound like the 5150 II or 6505, if any peavey comes close it would be the older ultra plus, but even that doesn't feel the same as the Rectifiers.

Either the Dual or Triple would work well for you. The Dual is easier to push into power-tube distortion (but still VERY loud), while the increased headroom of the Triple gives a tighter, punchier, and slightly deeper tone, as well as better cleans.

For singing lead tones, a clean boost or EQ pedal works wonders.

ToneAddictJon said:
I love the dual's and think they are perfect for that type of music. I don't have any experience with the triples, but I'm sure they are fairly close in tone. The big thing to watch when looking at these amps is the speakers. I can't stand how they sound with v30's, but love how they sound with EV's and Sheffields.
I don't think they sound like the 5150 II or 6505, if any peavey comes close it would be the older ultra plus, but even that doesn't feel the same as the Rectifiers.

Thanks! Would a Marshall 1960 cab with GT75's be a better bet than v30's?

NoGlassNoClass said:
Either the Dual or Triple would work well for you. The Dual is easier to push into power-tube distortion (but still VERY loud), while the increased headroom of the Triple gives a tighter, punchier, and slightly deeper tone, as well as better cleans.

I think the Dual would be a better bet for me, as this would be in my room and I'd hate to crank that thing overly loud to get that sweet distortion.

morrissey said:
NoGlassNoClass said:

I think the Dual would be a better bet for me, as this would be in my room and I'd hate to crank that thing overly loud to get that sweet distortion.

Keep in mind you will have to crank it to get those tones. This is not a quiet amp but it can be tamed a little. You can pull two tubes and a rectifier tube and lower the ohmage to 4ohms and you'll get PT saturation a little earlier but it will be a little muddy. I do this and run an OD outfront with EL34's and works OK.

I haven't tried a hot plate yet but I'm sure folks on here could comment on that option.

Rectifiers are most certainly not bedroom amps and I would really advise against getting one if you're only playing in your bedroom. You really need to get the tubes cooking (lots of volume) for it to sound it's best.

I have played the 6505 and I don't think it sounds anything like a rectifier. As to Mesa's reliability, the rectifier line is top notch. 5 year warranty. I've had mine over that and the only thing I've ever replaced is tubes and the input jack (which was my fault for messing it up). As for Peavey, I'm not sure of the reliability of the 6505, but I haven't heard good things about their quality control lately.

morrissey said:

um, dude, define "overly loud." You're kidding, right?

If you have a Dual loud enough to get power tube saturation, you're not gonna want to stand in front of it in your bedroom.

And, uh, let's just say that everyone in your house, and your neighbours, will have an opportunity to enjoy that sweet distortion.

morrissey said:

when i got my triple, i ran it through a Marshall 1960 A, 1960 B, and a Traynor YCS412.

the Traynor with its Celestian Vintage 30's sounded better to me. Alot of tighter. The marshalls were very "muddy" sounding

CoG said:
morrissey said:

um, dude, define "overly loud." You're kidding, right?

If you have a Dual loud enough to get power tube saturation, you're not gonna want to stand in front of it in your bedroom.

And, uh, let's just say that everyone in your house, and your neighbours, will have an opportunity to enjoy that sweet distortion.

I should've clarified what room I was putting it in. This would be the basement and I had a 5150 II pumped pretty loud to get that sweet distortion. I guess it's the same with the Dual, but it'll be worth it if it has a much better tone than the Peavey.

tobytheplatypus said:
morrissey said:

when i got my triple, i ran it through a Marshall 1960 A, 1960 B, and a Traynor YCS412.

the Traynor with its Celestian Vintage 30's sounded better to me. Alot of tighter. The marshalls were very "muddy" sounding

Okay, one of my favorite guitar players is buckethead and he used a marshall 1960 with his triple rectifier and it sounded great. The thing is, I'm not sure what speakers he has in there if he had changed them.

I found that the marshall 1960 B or A /16 ohm paired with a Dual rect. have a brighter sound. More Midrange and not enough lower end compared to the mesa Cabs. The Mesa cabs sound darker.. and i thought the Marshall cab had too much of a high end bite to the Famed Recto sound. If this makes sense. I ran the Dual rect with only one marshall cab at the time. Also you might try it between a 8 or 16 ohm cab to see which one you like better.

As a pick between a Dual Or TRiple?? Since i own both.. I would pick the Dual. Reason why? it sounds just as great. you can pull tubes to drop it to a 50watt. It is still LOUD!! THe dual Rec's clean isn't as dirty as the triple's clean channel. to me the triple clean sounds a little thicker to point where it can "fart" when plucked hard. TO me Even though the TRiPLE has an extra 50watts, what use will that extra headroom be if the low end is still muddy? The Dual to me just sound tighter on the low end and cleaner with tons of gain.. with the triple you can hear a muddy sagging lower end ....

using a HOT PLATE can be used but it wears the tubes down and your running you amp full throttle anyway.

But they both are good amps... with me i achieved my sound with a Dual Rectifier half stack that is slaved to a marshall 900jcm half stack..

Holler back at me if you need any more questions... there are plenty to ask about these amps.

I'll echo the comments about Recto's not really being a bedroom amp. Most tube amps aren't meant to be played in the bedroom. To get the tube sound and indeed, any signature "tone" that any tube-based amp has, you need to crank these things LOUD. And the great thing is, the louder you go, the sweeter it sounds, but there is definitely a threshold. I would say there are two main thresholds that you want to cross for the best sound, and those are driving your power section, and driving the speakers hard enough.

If you play your guitar and slowly turn up the volume as you do so, you'll notice there's a spot where it starts getting really loud, really quickly (like 1 or 2 degrees makes a huge difference). I like to think that this is the area where your power amp really starts getting hot, hence the massive volume increase. If you keep pushing it, there will be another part where suddenly your speakers just sound clearer, somehow. I'm pretty sure this is referred to as the speakers breaking up, not entirely sure on that though.

Obviously, to get to this stage on a DR or a TR is gonna be producing some fairly intense volume. That's just part of the deal though. I know a few people who think Recto's are sluggish, fizzy, muddy, whatever so I always invite them over to hear my Road King. Play it at a low or even medium volume, they make the same comments... crank it up a bit, and the sound changes. I've had a few people ask me why I bother with my other two amps cuz the Road King sounds so amazing.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling here.. basically, if you can't afford to crank this thing once in a while, you might wanna look elsewhere because you aren't gonna be getting your money's worth if it's always at low volumes.

Also, hot plates suck tone big time, so I'd advise against them.

Run two cabs out of the head. The extra load lets the amp breath more and the tone is definitely worth it.

Wow thanks. I'm trying to decide between these amps and a Crate Blue Voodoo. I've owned Crate amps for a while and am quite satisfied with them, and figured the Blue Voodoo would do the same for me. Guitar center has all of these amps mentioned, but I'm still leaning towards the Dual Rectifier at this moment. I'm aware these amps must be cranked, as I figured it's pretty much the same way as my Peavey 5150 II I had once before. If I decided on the Blue Voodoo, would the cab recommendation you guys suggested be pretty much the same?

The Dual sounds like it will fit perfectly. It's big, rich, and loud. I haven't played a Triple, but the Dual I can't say I've ever had to turn up past 10:00 before it starts blowing people away. And you can always pull 2 tubes and run it at 50W and push the tubes even harder. I have one for sale, let me know if you have any questions about it. It's on ebay right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-3-ch-Near-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ120188003440QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Great condition, still under warranty, new cover and spare 6L6 tubes. I play classic rock so the gain was a bit much for me. I'm trying out a Stiletto right now and just can't keep both. After playing Mesa and experiencing the quality of sound, I gotta stay with them though.

I had one of the first blue voodo 120w (thats what is said on the head 120) and Cabs..

they sounded good by its self. it was loud. and cheaper on price.
It had 2 channels. decent reverb. nice gain.. i could get a very scooped sound out of it... METAL/HARDCORE. sounded like a modified Jcm 900.
But it was no mesa boogie..

I have not tried or even heard the 300wt version of the BLUE VOODOO. though..

even then....... it aint no MESA BOOGIE>.

Latest posts

Back