Mark V @the gig review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonedragon

Reaction score
finally had the mark V opened up at a good gig.
Had the 45 watt setting,
channel 1 tweed w/ gain @2oclock
channel 2 M1mode gain @10 oclock heavy mids and highs w/ heavy bass cut
channel 3 extreme low gain
Now I play in a blues/jam band and this amp once dialed in kills.
Tone wise my setting are similar across the board. Heavy mid s to cut through the band. Low bass so the audience can hear the bass player.
The other guitarist has a early Duane allman tone thing going on. So my tone has to compliment his, not complete opposite but has to fall back into the mix when Im not playing a lead.

The tweed mode offered good cleans when dialed back on volume and stayed loose but tight like a good tweed amp should do.
The M1 channel had my version of a early bassman/plexi thing going on but was still all M1 when it came to smooth soloing, when I needed brash treble ala plexi style it was there. Along with the thick puch of a cranked bassman.
The extreme mode is where I found this amps shines. Boosted solo!!!
Now many have not been happy with due to the big mid hump.
But used as a boosted solo channel it cuts.

So after a two hour show down I find the MV to be the most versatile amp out there.
How's that, because I left a soldano and a vintage fender at home and covered all my bases.
Pedal wise ...tuner, delay,Dunlop roto vibe,RMC wah. Now I haven't played any metal since I was a teenager and Im sure this amp is a metal monster along with being a Tone monster.

After setting the amp with my ears not my eye's. And looking at it as three amps with simple layouts. Its not a hard nut to crack.
I Also don't t use the reverb ,effects loop,solo buttons at all. No master volumes or assigned eq's except for extreme mode.
Its that easy. I changed my perspective of the sometimes complicated MV.
Thanks to this forum. I found that the MV has a lot of things going for it once I
" set it and forget it"

Good review, and I agree it is extremely versatile. I know some have complained about the amp being difficult to dial in, but I found the suggestions in the manual very helpful. I play in a classic rock band, and I can get exactly the tones I want out of this amp.

My only real grip is..... Mesa suggest that we swap tubes before sending it out for repair.

It would be easier to accomplish this task IF they had not put a solid board behind the grill.
I swapped out v1 and v2 but would been less of a task if there was no board behind the grill. I know its there for structural integrity but could have been designed more user friendly. And there would be no need for the extended tube sleave, if you could access these from the front of the head.

Only gripe I have.My warranty is up time to modify ,I guess...

Latest posts

Back