Mark V Solo Boost

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna141

Reaction score
Are you finding the Solo Boost handy? Does it work well as a lead boost when playing live?

Tuna141 said:
Are you finding the Solo Boost handy? Does it work well as a lead boost when playing live?

Never used it on a Mk V, but on their other amps it makes using an overdrive for leads seem like child's play.

screamingdaisy said:
Tuna141 said:

Never used it on a Mk V, but on their other amps it makes using an overdrive for leads seem like child's play.

I like for there to be a little gain and tone change in addition to the volume boost, so I never used the solo boost on my Roadster or Stiletto.

lockbody said:
screamingdaisy said:
Tuna141 said:

I like for there to be a little gain and tone change in addition to the volume boost, so I never used the solo boost on my Roadster or Stiletto.

I don't like extra gain, just extra compression. I get that from the increase in signal hitting the power tubes harder. Plus, the increase in volume comes across as being both bigger and fuller sounding, so it's like a big surge in power that helps you step forward in the mix and adds sudden intensity to your guitar tone. I don't go for the ever so slight boost in volume approach, the way I set mine up it's like I kick on a second amp for the solo.

In comparison, boosting an already high gain amp for more gain and some extra midrange seems kinda.... weak.

Your mileage may vary of course. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

screamingdaisy said:
In comparison, boosting an already high gain amp for more gain and some extra midrange seems kinda.... weak.

Well, as long as it's only "kinda" weak...

As my DC-5 has no solo boost, what would you suggest I do to avoid weakness?

lockbody said:
screamingdaisy said:

Place a boost in the loop (aka Fulltone Fat Boost, Katana Boost, etc.)

lockbody said:
screamingdaisy said:

Use your GEQ for a boost and if you use the EQ already to shape your tone you can stick another one in your loop for the tone shaping.

I usually preform with a sound man in which case I just engage my Xotic AC for a little more but without a sound man I'll either use my clean boost or the built in EQ. Just depends on what I'm trying to achieve.

:D Thanks guys. I wasn't really serious about options for a solo boost. I just kind of took umbrage with screamingdaisy's opinion that the way I, and frankly thousands of other guitarists, choose to boost the signal for leads was "weak".

A solo boost doesn't do squat when you want you add a little grit to your clean sound without switching channels, and adding mids is a time-honored way both live and in the studio to make a lead stand out.

I'll pull my panties out of my crack now. :lol:

See I like the Solo Boost option for stuff where I dial back the volume on my guitar to get a cleaner sound, but want it still to be clear and present.

If I want a lead boost to change the tone or add some crunch or whatever, I would use a pedal boost with this amp.

lockbody said:
A solo boost doesn't do squat when you want you add a little grit to your clean sound without switching channels, and adding mids is a time-honored way both live and in the studio to make a lead stand out.

Putting a little grit in your clean channel without changing channels... hrm... I always run a little grit in my clean channel, then use my volume control on my guitar to clean it up for my clean work. If I want the grit back, I just crank my guitar....

lockbody said:
screamingdaisy said:
To not take things so personally. It'll help build stronger character.

:( Cmon guys screaming daisy was just giving his opinion, and he DID say that theres different ways to skin a cat, as well as imply that different people have different tastes.

Besides when you guys do thinsg differently than i do it sometimes inspires me to try it and we can all learn from different people's experience!! :D

But please make sure you dont take what i said as lecturing cause its not!!!!!!!!!!

Back