Mark V Slave output

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyryan

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a nice line out from this, to put through my mixing board and treat separately. The output I am getting sounds terrible.....very thin, no bottom end, distorted, and buzzy. Has anyone else managed to get a useable signal of of this? :cry:

You should read the instruction manual. The slave out isn't meant to run to a board. It's there so you can run the preamp out to an auxiliary power amp.

Thanks for telling me to read the manual that was helpful....

There have been all sorts of discussions on here about using the Mark V Slave as a LINE OUT to feed to a recording input. It is supposed to be a line level feed of the exact sound coming out of the Mark V (to send to a power amp or whatever else....). I'd be surprised if my Mesa 1 x 12 speaker would color the tone THAT MUCH. The signal i get out of the salve output sounds terrible. If i plugged it in to a power amp it would sound terrible too (a power amp only amplifies an existing signal to drive a speaker)

The signal is tapped directly from the speaker wires but is like not filtered by it. You need a box like the Hugh&Kettner redBox of the Behringer GI100 that does speaker emulation OR you feed it through some other processing board for recording with fancier speaker sims....

Lpjunky is right. You get both the preamp and the power amp with slave out.
I have yet to try it in a perfect listening environment but what I heard was MUCH better than any "emulated' out of other amps.
If you a getting something horrible you may have a problem.
Just for kicks, has any body tried the Tuner out to a mixer?

paddyryan said:
I'd be surprised if my Mesa 1 x 12 speaker would color the tone THAT MUCH. The signal i get out of the salve output sounds terrible. If i plugged it in to a power amp it would sound terrible too (a power amp only amplifies an existing signal to drive a speaker)

Actually, guitar speakers DO affect the tone "that much" due to their limited frequency response. Plugging into a power amp and guitar cabinet is exactly what the slave out is there for, but if you run it into a full-frequency response rig (such as directly into a mixing board), it's going to sound like a hive of angry bees. I have run my slave out into an effects processor, and then to a stereo power amp and a pair of Mesa cabs with very good results.

Thanks folks. Maybe I'll try feeding the slave out to some cabinet simulators from my Waves GTR or Guitar Rig to see what it sounds like...
I'll post my results.

Anyone know what the output jack is..... balanced or unbalanced? That info is not in the manual .

Thanks

There's a ton of free speaker cabinet impulses available, as well as plugins to run them.

If you want to buy some try:
Recabinet (http://www.recabi.com/)
Redwirez (http://www.redwirez.com/)

A very good pedal type cabinet simulator is the one by Surprise Sound SE-5
http://www.surprisesoundlab.com/ssl-23_009.htm

Cheers

paddyryan said:
Thanks folks. Maybe I'll try feeding the slave out to some cabinet simulators from my Waves GTR or Guitar Rig to see what it sounds like...
I'll post my results.

Anyone know what the output jack is..... balanced or unbalanced? That info is not in the manual .

Thanks

The jack is unbalanced.

From the manual...
SLAVE: This 1/4” jack and control provide a signal derived from the speaker jack. Perfect for using either the MARK V head version or combo as a master pre-amp and additional power amps for more power when needed. Some players use the SLAVE to derive an EFX Send Signal and go to other amps for their wet sound.
See? It was helpful wasn't it.
You'll get along great here if you keep asking questions then being a smartass when someone answers you.

paddyryan said:
I was hoping to get a nice line out from this, to put through my mixing board and treat separately. The output I am getting sounds terrible.....very thin, no bottom end, distorted, and buzzy. Has anyone else managed to get a useable signal of of this? :cry:

The manual says not to do this unless you have a speaker cab sim like Recab or something similar.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I'm just starting out on recording stuffs so I have close to zero knowledge on these things. Just a question, if I buy the Redwirez bundle with the plug-in, I still need to purchase an interface separately to connect the Slave Out on my Mark V to the interface and then only to the computer where the Redwirez plug-in and bundles are right?

yongling said:
Sorry to hijack this thread. I'm just starting out on recording stuffs so I have close to zero knowledge on these things. Just a question, if I buy the Redwirez bundle with the plug-in, I still need to purchase an interface separately to connect the Slave Out on my Mark V to the interface and then only to the computer where the Redwirez plug-in and bundles are right?

Yes...a good quality sound interface is essential. I wouldn't go into an internal sound card. Mackie, M-Audio, Presonus and others offer reasonable priced high quality digital 24 bit external sound cards and input/output interfaces.

The highest CPU and Ram on your daw is also a wise choice.

thalweg said:
yongling said:

Yes...a good quality sound interface is essential. I wouldn't go into an internal sound card. Mackie, M-Audio, Presonus and others offer reasonable priced high quality digital 24 bit external sound cards and input/output interfaces.

The highest CPU and Ram on your daw is also a wise choice.

I was wondering can I go from the mark V's slave to my M-Audio Delta 192 sound card I installed in my computer? I heard you say don't go into sound card but mine is like an audio interface right? I bought the card a couple years ago and never used it much except for hooking up my studio monitors and mixing console. Ever since I got my Mark V I been wanting to record some tracks and need to know how to use my Delta 192 card to record?

MesaGod666 said:
Slave out>FW Interface>DAW>Recab3 Plug-in = THIS

Can I do this with a M-Audio Delta 192 soundcard interface? It's a Pro internal soundcard with breakout cable. Or do I need a preamp before the soundcard?
It would me Slave out<Delta 192 soundcard<Acid Pro DAW<out the monitors.

Adambomb said:
MesaGod666 said:
Slave out>FW Interface>DAW>Recab3 Plug-in = THIS

Can I do this with a M-Audio Delta 192 soundcard interface? It's a Pro internal soundcard with breakout cable. Or do I need a preamp before the soundcard?
It would me Slave out<Delta 192 soundcard<Acid Pro DAW<out the monitors.

The slave out is a line-level signal, you shouldn't need a preamp. In fact, you might want to be careful that you don't hit the soundcard with too hot of a signal from the amp.

I just tried the slave out on my Mark V for the first time. I am running it into a cheapo Line6 Guitarport into my soundblaster card. Using the Line6 software gearbox (comes with Guitar Port) I turned off all amp models and effects and just use the speaker sims. I cant believe how awesome this sounds. I recorded into Sonar and it sounds amazing. Hope this helps someone I'm sure happy I saw this thread...I probably would have never tried it otherwise.

Hehe,

Just tried recording with my cheap line6 ux2 as well. Slave out with some free rectifier and marshall speaker sim and it sounded really nice! I just need to make a 8 ohms load somehow to be able to record silently.

I also tried the tuner out and was a little puzzled. the signal was very very hot for the line6 (padded inst input, can't remember if I tried the line input as well...) Sounded quite good too (with speaker sim of course)
I also noticed that a tweed sound with master volume quite high (so it's kinda fuzzy) sounded pretty much the same in the tuner out. I can be wrong but it seems like the power section could be involved too in the tuner out sound? Doesn't make much sense though.

I'll try some more tonight and if my playing isn't too bad, maybe post some comparison clip !

Latest posts

Back