Mark V - Nova Delay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprada

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm a complete gear noob so i'm kinda lost here.
I just bought a Nova Delay (its really nice) but i'm having a volume problem.
I'm running the Nova in front of the amp. I know that's better running it in the loop of the Mark V.
I'm trying to get a really low nice solo delay. i'm using the Mix Level on the Nova at level 1.
However it is still very loud. I just want to colour the leads a bit (pink floydish kinda soud) and still i get these loud repeats making the leads very sloppy.

Is it suposed to be like tis? is this all in my head?
Or is this normal running the pedal in front of the amp?

Can i get a better volume control running it in the loop with the efx send level?

Thanks in advanced and sorry for my english.

If you want Delayed distortion, not Distorted delays, you have to run the delay in the loop.

sprada said:
Hi guys.

I'm a complete gear noob so i'm kinda lost here.
I just bought a Nova Delay (its really nice) but i'm having a volume problem.
I'm running the Nova in front of the amp. I know that's better running it in the loop of the Mark V.
I'm trying to get a really low nice solo delay. i'm using the Mix Level on the Nova at level 1.
However it is still very loud. I just want to colour the leads a bit (pink floydish kinda soud) and still i get these loud repeats making the leads very sloppy.

Is it suposed to be like tis? is this all in my head?
Or is this normal running the pedal in front of the amp?

Can i get a better volume control running it in the loop with the efx send level?

Thanks in advanced and sorry for my english.

Delay sounds better in the loop, that way you don't have to worry about clutter in the preamp. Keep the FX send around noon if you can. I use an analog memory man in my loop occasionally, and it seems like the signal at noon is hot for the pedal, but I compensate by running the pedals level in around 30%.

Don't forget about the input level calibration too. Hold manual button until the display changes. Play as hard as you usually do until the numbers stop changing then hit any button to exit the calibration mode.

Let me add this, since many players successfully run delays in front of the amp... and on the off chance that running it in the loop doesn't resolve the issue.

I don't have the Nova delay but I do have the nova system, I believe most of the effects in this unit are based on nova effects. The mix levels are represented in percentages as opposed to the 1 to 10 on a dial... I am finding that in any of my delay preset settings the mix is between 12% and 19%. So on a 1 to 10 knob I think that would pretty much be between 1 and 2 (1.2 to 1.9 out of 10). (I have run mine in front and in the loop with success though I prefer it in the loop). I think being on 1 would actually be somewhat normal for the type of sound you are going for which is an enhancement rather than an "effect". So if your query has more to do with "I have to turn it down to 1 to make it work" then that would just be par ... if it's "Even at 1 I'm still having issues with mud" then try the following
a) putting it in the loop could fix it
b) maybe you need to turn the feedback down a bit, maybe too many repeats are causing a loop that's creating the mud
c) perhaps turn the colour more towards the tape as opposed to digital, this should take a bit of the top end off the repeats which will allow your original notes to stand out more.
d) a combination of any or all of the above

Don't forget about the input level calibration too. Hold manual button until the display changes. Play as hard as you usually do until the numbers stop changing then hit any button to exit the calibration mode.
Good point. I'll try this.

b) maybe you need to turn the feedback down a bit, maybe too many repeats are causing a loop that's creating the mud
The ammount of feedback can't be the issue here cuz i'm using 2 ou 3 repeats for leads.

perhaps turn the colour more towards the tape as opposed to digital, this should take a bit of the top end off the repeats which will allow your original notes to stand out more
I'll try this but this is hardly the solution cuz with the mix level at 1 i'm having way to much volume for leads.

I'll definitely try it in the loop this weekend and then i'll give u some feedback.

Thanks a lot.
Wonderful forum ^^

litesnsirens said:
Let me add this, since many players successfully run delays in front of the amp... and on the off chance that running it in the loop doesn't resolve the issue.

I don't have the Nova delay but I do have the nova system, I believe most of the effects in this unit are based on nova effects. The mix levels are represented in percentages as opposed to the 1 to 10 on a dial... I am finding that in any of my delay preset settings the mix is between 12% and 19%. So on a 1 to 10 knob I think that would pretty much be between 1 and 2 (1.2 to 1.9 out of 10). (I have run mine in front and in the loop with success though I prefer it in the loop). I think being on 1 would actually be somewhat normal for the type of sound you are going for which is an enhancement rather than an "effect". So if your query has more to do with "I have to turn it down to 1 to make it work" then that would just be par ... if it's "Even at 1 I'm still having issues with mud" then try the following
a) putting it in the loop could fix it
c) perhaps turn the colour more towards the tape as opposed to digital, this should take a bit of the top end off the repeats which will allow your original notes to stand out more.
d) a combination of any or all of the above
^^^DITTO^^^ I have a Nova Delay and I run it in front of my amp with good results. You REALLY have to just keep tweaking to get there. For my lead channel, I really have to keep the level very low and have few repeats, but it does not get muddy at all. The speed of the repeats is also critical. I will try to get a pic of my settings later for you to try if I think of it. That's the beauty of the NOVA delay, different presets for different channels of the amp. Not to mention the impeccable quality and transparency of the pedal. Keep tweaking my friend, you will get there!

I have the Nova Delay, I'm very surprised that you'd want to run a "Delay" in front of the amp, I've always found this to sound horrible on anything other than clean. Very smooth where it's in the loop......

Sprada,

I'm curious--Why do you want it in front of the amp? Do you hard bypass the loop? Do you keep other effects always on in the loop and don't want to have to push too many buttons just to get delay?

As others have said, you can get a passable delay tone, sometimes, with delay in front of a distorted amp, but delay, reverb, and most modulation effects (such as chorus) are really best as post effects, after distortion.

Latest posts

Back