Mark V compared to the IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flieger67

Reaction score
I was curious to know if anyone here has been able to run a Mark V set to its IIC+ setting side-by-side with an original IIC+. I tried searching through this forum but didn't get any returns, so my apologies if this has been covered and I missed it.

Just curious about how close some of you feel the V is to the IIC+.

I played a few Puppets riffs last night, and it sounded pretty close...!!! :lol: :lol:

Then again, I was not rocking EMGS......

Gizzorge said:
I played a few Puppets riffs last night, and it sounded pretty close...!!! :lol: :lol:

Then again, I was not rocking EMGS......

I don't believe they were using EMG's on Puppets so that's about right.

According to the guy who wrote the V manual, IIC's without th EQ actually sound better than the ones with it so take that into consideration.

Reading the manual would prompt me to answer like this:

How does it sound compared to the actual IIC+?

Well, after trying out a lot of IIC+ amps for comparison, it's actually modeled after what they consider the "holy grail" of actual IIC+ amps (best sounding one in their opinion), down to the last components. All EQ models have a one cap difference (larger, slower signal, fatter) to the non-EQ models (less sub-lows, tighter, more urgent). The V's IIC+ can use the EQ, but uses the smaller cap of the non-EQ model.

What does that mean? It means that the IIC+ in the V actually has a faster, tighter attack than original IIC+'s w/EQ's and you can add more bass (because of the lack of sub-lows) without it getting flubby. So to answer...how does the IIC+ mode sound compared to a real EQ model IIC+? Faster, tighter, and more urgent... :wink:

Silverwulf - thanks for that response. Tonally, would you say that the V's IIC+ mode pretty much nails the essence of a good, original IIC+, even with perhaps a small difference in response/feel? Put a different way, if someone pretty familiar was put into a blind listening test, do you think that person could tell the difference between the V and the original amp?

flieger67 said:
Silverwulf - thanks for that response. Tonally, would you say that the V's IIC+ mode pretty much nails the essence of a good, original IIC+, even with perhaps a small difference in response/feel? Put a different way, if someone pretty familiar was put into a blind listening test, do you think that person could tell the difference between the V and the original amp?

No no, don't get me wrong. I'm still waiting on my Mark V. This is the impression that Mesa was conveying when you read the manual, based on everything they said (with special emphasis on Doug West). They do give you settings to try on both the IIC+ and the IIC+ mode on the V for a direct comparison though. They seem confident it's pretty spot on.

ryjan said:
mr_dj07 said:
Yes they did !
Metallica didnt use emgs on any album until garage days. Master of Puppets album was recorded with Gibson 500t pickups

This is correct. They had them on the MoP tour in the latter part, but the first album to feature them was the Garage Days EP. The 500T is the most likely pup used on MoP.

In the manual I thought it said that the V actually has the IIC+ (non geq) circuit in it!

primal said:
In the manual I thought it said that the V actually has the IIC+ (non geq) circuit in it!
It does. And if mesa boogie says it sounds like an original mark IIC+ than it does. I trust them

primal said:

Same circuit, different cap. That's what I was saying, the V's IIC+ mode uses the smaller (faster, tighter) cap of the non-EQ circuit IIC+ models. But, you can still use the EQ in the V of course and it will technically be faster, tighter, and you can add more lows without flubbing up than the IIC+ models w/EQ.

Iconoclysm said:
mr_dj07 said:
Yes they did !

James used primarily his Gibsons on the recording - I don't recall the V being fitted with EMG's, do you?
James' V didnt get emgs until he got it out of storage for recording Death Magnetic. There was some guitar magazine a couple years ago that did a photo shoot of James and Kirks' Vees and neither of them had emgs yet. However they both do now.

Silverwulf said:
ryjan said:
mr_dj07 said:
Yes they did !
Metallica didnt use emgs on any album until garage days. Master of Puppets album was recorded with Gibson 500t pickups

This is correct. They had them on the MoP tour in the latter part, but the first album to feature them was the Garage Days EP. The 500T is the most likely pup used on MoP.

Found this:
"I started using EMGs on the 'Ride the Lightning' Tour. They attracted me because of their tight low end." Guitar World, October 1991

From http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/jamesguitars.html

Don't know when that was taken, but you can see these are emg's.
jameswhitegibsonexp4.jpg

This is quoted off of freeweb also. The emgs were not used in recording the albums but on tour.

Made in 1984, the Explorers from this year came in different options including colors, bridges, tremolos, no pickguards. James' is a stock 1984 Gibson Explorer in cream white, Gibson 500T in the bridge and a Gibson 496R in the neck, and a stop tailpiece, tune o matic bridge. These were later changed to EMG pickups.

Yeah, I'm familair with that interview. There's a later one that contradicts it if I can find it. Of course, James also said he used "30W Vintage 30's" and Kirk stated he liked to dial in a "warm midi sound" live before too, so who knows... :lol: The interview I'm referring to was a later one with Kirk. I'll try to dig it up later.

I can't tell on my I Phone, but here is James playing in Sept 85, either during, or right before recording puppets, and he is rocking the Explorer, just can't tell if it has emgs or not on my phone....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmK8--2n8lQ

Back