Mark IV's....Early Versus Late Models...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here to this board as you may be able to tell...I've owned a bunch of Mesa's mainly Mark's II, III & IV's...but I have a question.

What (if any) are the MAIN differences between the early Mark IV's and the later models...I've been getting the feeling (from what I've read online) that the earlier models may have sounded better?

I've owned a 2007 model which was great, but may be buying a 92' model with the EV speaker...what do you guys think, should they be basically the same or ?????

Check out the sticky thread in this forum about the Mark IV, lots of great info.

I´ve owned two early Mark IV´s (91 and 92) and now I have a 2007 model.

The earliest version (A) was built in the early 90´s. Then in the mid 90´s (94 or so) Mesa changed the curcuit slightly. See the sticky Mark IV thread for more about this.

Yes, there are some subtle differences in the tones. But I couldn´t tell you which version I prefer. Both sound great!

I have a '92 short head and 2 EV Thieles, and also a late '07 combo with a EVM12L, both using stock Mesa tubes, and they are very similar. If I plug them each into a single Thiele, I cannot tell the difference in a blind test. I have actually tried this with a Voodoo Labs Amp Switcher. None of my guitar playing friends could tell either, although we all thought we would be able to.

However, having said and tried that, I will almost always turn on the A in the studio, and use the combo for a gig.

I love them both, best amp ever made IMHO, but that doesn't stop me using a few others also.

Thanks for all the replies and info...

I missed that Mark IV sticky, thanks for pointing that out, tons of good info there!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back