Mark IV Tube Help! ASAP Please!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stev0griffin

Reaction score
Diggin' the EL34 tone in the outer sockets.

Bought some new Boogie EL34's today, and the piece of crap plastic post in the middle of the tube snapped off into the socket it's supposed to go into.

So, a few questions. 1) Do I have any risk of shock yanking that plastic middle piece out of the socket? 2) Will the warantee on the brand new tubes cover this issue? And 3) why is my luck so... Non-existent?

Please give any and as much info as you can guys. Thank you so much.

The piece of crap plastic post in the middle of the tube has a key, designed to fit into the socket in only ONE way.
Any other way will break the post.
Measure twice, cut once.
Let us meditate on this for a while...

Risk of shock: I doubt it. As MrMarkIII states, it is meant as a guide to ensure correct installation. Incorrect installation could seriously damage the amp (and maybe yourself)

FYI: The tube is still usable, provided you didn't break the vacuum. HOWEVER, you MUST make sure the pins are oriented the same way as the other tubes in order to avoid catastrophy.

Thats the strange thing... The first one went in no problem. I aligned the next one the exact same way, and it was going in fine but it just stopped at a certain point. o_O

It won't stay in, because the POS plastic post broke off in a rigid way so the tube can't sit flush while it's still lodged in the socket. I can't seem to get the plastic out. I've heard I can remove the chassis and pop it out from above, but I'm no amp guru or tech, so I'm unsure of how to remove the chassis. (not to mention horrified by the idea of doing it myself any how...)

I may take it to a local tech tonight. **** plastic post causing so much ****. (I swap tubes all the time and have NEVER had this happen)

Thanks for the help and info guys! I appreciate it!

stev0griffin said:
Thats the strange thing... The first one went in no problem. I aligned the next one the exact same way, and it was going in fine but it just stopped at a certain point. o_O

It won't stay in, because the POS plastic post broke off in a rigid way so the tube can't sit flush while it's still lodged in the socket. I can't seem to get the plastic out. I've heard I can remove the chassis and pop it out from above, but I'm no amp guru or tech, so I'm unsure of how to remove the chassis. (not to mention horrified by the idea of doing it myself any how...)

I may take it to a local tech tonight. **** plastic post causing so much sh!t. (I swap tubes all the time and have NEVER had this happen)

Thanks for the help and info guys! I appreciate it!

Hey - popping the amp out of the cab is VERY easy.

Unplug the fan from the head (this is the hardest part of the deal - the fan plug).

I lay mine on its side (Big transformer toward the floor!) - take out the 4 screws.

Pull your power tubes (if you want - mine can come out with them in).

Slide the amp head to the rear. Wa La!

Poke out that annoying piece of plastic.

Easy cheesy.

Back