Mark IV reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ednolb

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Mark IV. Recently, I've found a combo but the owner says the reverb's broken.
Normally, I never use reverb but I was wondering if this is something that is easily fixed (and cheap)? Also, supose I don't get this fixed, is there any chance that this will influence the overall sound of the amp (I think not, but you never know...)

It could be something as simple as the connections to the reverb tank cables being oxidized and needing a cleaning. It could also be a preamp tube. Another option is that the reverb tank cables are bad (simple RCA's). Or maybe the tank itself is bad. There may be something wrong inside in the circuitry but those are the most common problems. You might play it up as an issue but you will just get it fixed and thus get a little better price on it. The reverb is ok in the Mark IV. I wouldn't call it stellar. To be honest, I don't even use mine. I would much rather find a good external reverb.

The reverb isn't very strong due to the short tank and the design of the circuit. This only compounds the issue once you add gain. You'll find that you will hear the reverb best on the clean channel.

i read somewhere that running a second tank in paralle makes your reverb a millon times better..i would like to try that some time..

Do most Mark IV players use an external reverb like a EH Holy Grail or something else?...What I don't understand is if the reverb on the LS is so good (which it is), then why doesn't Mesa just put it in all of their amps?...I've read a lot of complaints about this being the only real drawback for the Mark IV along with channel 2 sharing mid and bass tone controls and the lack of gain in channel 2...I ask this because I'm considering buying a Mark IV half stack (see my post on the modern amps section to help me out)...

Musicman and Russ,

What do you have your reverb dialed in at? I keep mine very low , like arounf 3 or 4 because it is so strong. And it sounds beautiful! I wonder if there is something wrong with yours? Maybe??? :?:

Daxman73 said:
Do most Mark IV players use an external reverb like a EH Holy Grail or something else?...What I don't understand is if the reverb on the LS is so good (which it is), then why doesn't Mesa just put it in all of their amps?..

There are several head sizes available, and the reverb tanks are going to vary as well.

Longer springs in the reverb tank = different sounding reverb.

As mentioned before, there are a few "quick" fixes I would look into:

Check the RCA cables in and out of the tank
Check the soldering inside the tank to make sure the contacts are in place (you'd be shocked at how thin the wire is!)

I've found if the reverb isn't to your liking - try swapping out the tube in the reverb position (varies by model). Use a "stronger" pre-amp tube like a 12AX7.

I like to run all of my amps dry and then kick in a reverb pedal. Personal tastes vary, but after trying just about EVERY reverb pedal on the market - I was surprised at how good the Digiverb is.

Just my 2 cents.

My reverb tank that I am using is/brand new. My amp didn't have a tank when I bought it. When I installed it I made sure to clean the contacts and check the tube. I thought maybe it was the 12at7 that was used in the A version however using a 12ax7 didn't make much difference as far as the effect was concerned. Like I said I don't even use mine anymore. I have a rack unit that has decent reverb that I could use if I wanted to have better reverb.

Presently I have the reverb on zero. Sometimes I have it all the way up but normally when I use it I set it at 4. It is not broke, but it is certainly not up to par with the reverb on my Fender Twin.

No big deal to me really - reverb was not a concern for me when purchasing the Mark IV :)

musicman10_1 said:
Presently I have the reverb on zero. Sometimes I have it all the way up but normally when I use it I set it at 4. It is not broke, but it is certainly not up to par with the reverb on my Fender Twin.

No big deal to me really - reverb was not a concern for me when purchasing the Mark IV :)

Good man!

I used to be a reverb guy back 'in tha day'

But now I only use it for solos and/or some ambient stuff.

Back