Mark IV Metallica question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpoon

Reaction score
Is it true metallica's james hetfield only used a guitar straight into a mark iv for the black album? just wondering if it's that good. thanks.

straight into a mark II C+ Simul-Class Coliseum head. The early mark4's circuit boards were desgined identically to the c+'s, except the power section was different, hence the tonal differences. the C+ is the metallica sound everyone knows, from puppets thru all the load stuff.

It is possible though that he and kirk may have used the mark4 for some tracks or to do some layering for thickness, but i've never read that anywhere.

i think it's fair to say the mark4, and mark3, will get you about 90-95% of the metallica sound. you need a graphic EQ though to get the scooped sound!! it's the essential missing link.

Guitar -> Mark IV=
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=595614&songID=4513312

I know he used a Mark IIC+ and a Mark IV on the black album (among others.) Maybe even a Mark IV slaved into a Marshall. But to what extent he used the Mark IV I’m not sure.

Kirk used the MArk IV a lot both in the studio and live but James usually used it for the demos and whatnot. What actually ended up on the recording is mainly jose arrendondo modded marshalls and a C+. But...they did use the IV as well.

mJ

There is a lot of evidence out there that James used a Mark IV on the Black Album. First of all, if you watch the video "A Year and a Half In the Life Of..." you can see it all over the place. Also, there is a "Classic Albums" dvd about the Black Album in which they talk about some of the gear that was used. You can hear an early demo version of Enter Sandman, which Hetfield claims "must have been the Mark IV." To what extent it was used is not quite sure, but it was certainly in his arsenal at the time "Metallica" was recorded.

Kirk has claimed quite extensively that he used a combination of different amps including Mesa's, Marshall's, etc..., to achieve his lead tones on that album.

Back