MARK IV DISCONTINUED (FOR REAL)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long time Marshall user here.... My bandmates and I were always happy when I gigged the Mark III. Space and hauling in/out has it rewards in that Mark line for a guy like me. I was trying to order up a new combo Mark IV when it crawled to a hault. I ceratinly am reading and watching for a good sign. I'm in for a Mark V combo even if it is a costly critter. I really really want the short one though. I will be surprised if they do that. I don't like the wider chassis they have tried to change over to.

I saw Petrucci Monday night and he was most definitely using two Mark IV's and a Lonestar head. No signs of any other Mark Style amp.

SeasonOfPain said:
This is second-hand info, but it looks like JP may have played a prototype V at the Atlanta show last night:

JP Forum Posting

I was at that show and Petrucci did indeed sound awesome; I didnt see his rack so I cant confirm if he used it or not, but his tone on The Dark Eternal Night was bone crushing! Definatley sounded better live than on the album, it was thicker and a bit more saturated sounding, but overall his tone was defintaly a Mark series, so if he was playing the prototype, it doesnt sound like they changed the overall tone very much, just a few slight tweaks most likely.

Someone's video of the Atlanta show is on youtube. It's only a side view but that coudl be it on top of his rig. This is a horrible way to tell the sound of it but I find this clip sounds a bit creamier then some of the other clips of this tour.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RXO94TJwjoA

Something I find interesting is that when I saw them Monday night his rack was facing the crowd and I could see everything in there but in this footage he has it turned to the side...MAYBE HE'S HIDING SOMETHING!!! lol

If you go to the modern amps section there are a couple of mark 5 posts and people claiming to have seen a poster in a music store in NYC with Randall working on a Mark 5. I want pictures, check it our for yourselves.

I've been reading with great anticipation about the mysterious MK V on the petrucci board and the threads on this board (vintage and modern) question is... if there really is a MK V, where do we post about it? the vintage or modern side of things. or am I getting ahead of myself? I kinda enjoy the vintage thread a little more, seems like this is where the old farts like me hang out. All of those young recto whippersnappers over yonder on the modern side of things are just a little too "wet behind the ears" for my taste :lol:

geenads said:
I've been reading with great anticipation about the mysterious MK V on the petrucci board and the threads on this board (vintage and modern) question is... if there really is a MK V, where do we post about it? the vintage or modern side of things. or am I getting ahead of myself? I kinda enjoy the vintage thread a little more, seems like this is where the old farts like me hang out. All of those young recto whippersnappers over yonder on the modern side of things are just a little too "wet behind the ears" for my taste :lol:

I'd move it all to the bar/lounge/off topic area of the site. LOL

Here's a photo that guy posted. From what we can see it's still the classic slanted front design which I really dig.

Dream%20Theater%2005-28-08

About the used prices, I just sold my rackmounted Mark IV on ebay. I had no idea that they were about to be discontinued when I listed it. Someone (American) used Buy it Now for 1500. The buyer said he figured he better snatch it up because they stopped production. Time will tell which one of us got the good deal.

I went stereo with the Triaxis, 2:Ninety and a couple Thieles. Hopefully I can get the same Mark tones and then some.

I'm glad I bought mine last year. The Mark IV is one of the greatest amps ever. Too bad it was not more widely appreciated. After a year I'm still finding more things I can do with it.

I wonder how the Mark V will be different or if there will be one?

^^^ The Mark IV is greatly appreciated. I'll never sell my Mark IV, even if it goes up in price.

+1

The Mark IV is my favourite amp of all time. And I´ve owned and played alot of other amps. I always find my way back to this amp.

I will definatly check out the Mark V (or 5) when it comes out, but my IV isn´t going anywhere, that´s for sure!

bear_rat said:
About the used prices, I just sold my rackmounted Mark IV on ebay. I had no idea that they were about to be discontinued when I listed it. Someone (American) used Buy it Now for 1500. The buyer said he figured he better snatch it up because they stopped production. Time will tell which one of us got the good deal.
My bet is you did. I just don't see the prices of used Mark IVs going higher, even if the Mark V is a disappointment. There are just too many of them, and though they're great amps, like most things they appeal only to certain buyers. Looking at the used Mesa market, only the C+s have been "investment grade", and scarcity has had much do with that. If there were 10,000 C+s out there, it's doubtful they would be so expensive.

The quality of the C+ makes it desireable, and the scarcity makes it valuable! As long as the inventory of Mark IVs is plentiful, I don't see used prices rising much. And if the Mark V is a hit (beyond the honeymoon period), I could see Mark IV prices dropping. Look at the prices for Mark IIIs.

Latest posts

Back