Mark IV compact or wide-body for "bedroom volumes"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retu

Reaction score
Hi,

Which one is better for playing at "bedroom volumes", Mark IV compact or wide-body combo?

I play mostly older Metallica etc. and I want to get a decent distortion also at "bedroom volumes".

neither, expect to blow up your face if you sit in front of it in your bedroom.

:) I would guess the smallest one, it will project less bass response into the room, making it seem a little less "loud" to those around you. Since thats the frequency that most people around you will hate the most, avoid it the most

doesn't matter.
either one is fine.

i use a mark IV and ev loaded 4x12 in my bedroom.
i can keep it easily keep it quiet.
the **** thing has 2 volume knobs, and 2 lower power settings.

Simply put, tube amps don't do bedroom volumes. Unless you get a power attenuator, which will suck some tone. Expect to only let it rip when the neighbors are out.

i keep my masters all around 1 (lead just abouve 1/2) then i set the output to at least 5 and its fine for my bedroom. that output is the key to tone imo. tweed helps alot but i dont worry about class a or triode for volume because i they change the tone and headroom too much for me (i do however often use them from time to time. now im using class a and pentode). after all its not volume thats the problem its having great tone at volume so why compromise? mark iv can e great for bedroom playing, its all i use mine for

Elpelotero said:
Simply put, tube amps don't do bedroom volumes. Unless you get a power attenuator, which will suck some tone. Expect to only let it rip when the neighbors are out.
I second that. If you aren't able to keep a decent volume level to let the amp sing, I wouldn't buy a tube amp if it's just for bedroom practice... unless you want to do some recordings

Actually, I think the widebody might be a little bit better. When I was asking Mike B some questions once, he mentioned that when they went to the widebody combo hey started rear mounting the speaker, and it surprised them how much less volume it had at the same level.

I have a compact combo and a Theile. Simply put, the lead channel will give you loads of sustain at ridiculously low volumes. Is it the best sound ever? no. It is ,however, the best sound I've ever heard at "bedroom volumes". Having said that my choice would probably be a widebody head just so I could get at those extra 2 switches that are on the back of my amp. With a head you could try different cabs to see what works best for you. This is an amp you can grow and evolve with so the ability to change cabs to suit your needs if they should change bears consideration. Bottom line: if you see something on eBay or somewhere at a good price, snag it. It's hard to go wrong with a Mk4

Latest posts

Back