Mark IV - Class A or Simul-Class?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltrain858

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i'm still getting acquainted with my mkIV and so far have been using it almost exclusively in Class A--Triode--Full Power.

i started out in tweed power to preserve tube life and enhance low volume breakup but found a little too much breakup on the clean channel when i play hard funky barre chords.

being lazy, i opted to change the only one of these switches that's on the front of the amp :lol:

i'm just wondering of you mkIV users, what combination of these three options do you prefer? or do you like to mix it up?

I like Class A-Pentode-Full Power. I'm going after a clean tone more than anything and I like what it does at that setting. I like the attack a little more with pentode. It seems more immediate and stiffer. I can't remember the last time I used the amp with Simul-Class, it just seems like too much. I go to Tweed Power every once in a while but even then I tend to leave set in pentode.

With tweed and full power I float back and forth, at home usually in tweed and even playing small places 50-100 people in a recording environment depends what I’m shooting for.
As far as tri-pen I like and use pentode most of the time but there again in a recording environment anything goes!
When I use to run (4) 6l6’s I use to run class A most of the time unless I was looking for a ton of head room, but even class A there is a ton of head room.
Right now I run (2) 6l6’s & (2) EL4’s so to get the flavor of this combination I run simul-class. Although if it’s a little late at night I’ll just run the EL34”s (a little easier to control the volume).
I really believe no matter how you run this amp you will get a good sound!
Its really one of the things that I believe is kind of “magic” about this amp. Some amps are great for certain styles of music but not others, the Mark IV when configured, comes out on top for any style of music.
My advice if your new to the amp try different configurations for a few days or hours and not a few minuets shoot for your favorite sound of course but get familiar with all modes and let it sink into your ears, and the feel of these modes into your hands.

i find he most smoothest fatest tone is in triode/full/simli.. lower volume's tween and a class is switched..if i want the best chunky metal rhy i use pentode with eather power class...the pentode's smoothness isn't quite as good as the triode..
This amp is sweet.

I play a strat, and initially had issues getting this amp to sound full w/ good bass response. The other guitarist in my band plays an SG into a fender blackface that has this booming low end. I souned tinny by comparison. This was especially vexing because I have the Thiele cab in addition to my small chassis MKIV.

So I switched to from tweed/class A (was plenty loud) to full power/simulclass. Now I have low end to spare. It made a huge difference. Now the only time I use Tweed is at home practicing. I tend to like the smoother response and greater harmonic content of Triode, but Pentode appears to cut a little more through a cluttered mix.

Hope this helps.

I like Class A / Triode / Tweed since I play with low volumes currently and I'm just getting used to all these controls :D

I play heavy rythm style music(metal, hard rock, skatepunk).

I use Full Power, Pentode, Simul Class and Harmonics.
It has a lot more punch and 'Oomph' with these settings.

Class A/Triode/Tweed/Harmonics are the best for reasonable tone around the house and/or if you aren't cranking the amp to compete with anyone. That is where mine has stayed for months.

Russ said:
Class A/Triode/Tweed/Harmonics are the best for reasonable tone around the house and/or if you aren't cranking the amp to compete with anyone. That is where mine has stayed for months.

8)

My favorite so far too, the Mark IV manual is the best written Mesa manual I've read so far.

I would hope so. There is too much stuff on these amps for them not to do a good job. I had a hard time at first because the manual that came with mine was for a B and I have an A. It was an obvious reprint of a downloaded manual but luckily I bought a real copy of the A manual later and someone here gave us the A manual on pdf. There are some differences in the manual but mainly due to the differences in the amps themselves. I was glad to get the A manual though.

Latest posts

Back