mark III vs. mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slhguitar

Reaction score
What are the differences in tone and versatility? I have been lookin for a mark iv, but a mark iii blue stripe is now available to me for $1200 cdn...
Are they similar enough for me to be content with it? Thanks for any and all input.

slhguitar said:
What are the differences in tone and versatility? I have been lookin for a mark iv, but a mark iii blue stripe is now available to me for $1200 cdn...
Are they similar enough for me to be content with it? Thanks for any and all input.
I am a proud owner of a Mark III blue stripe but I cant say more about what you want to know. Check this topic and hope it help
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6130

Hi slhguitar,

I was in the exact same dilemma as you are in right now. Darkirish had just linked my post. For what it's worth, I ended up buying the Mark IV. I would say tonewise, they're not that different. But in terms of versatility and resale value, the Mark IV is better. I also think that because of the almost endless possibility of sound it can get, the Mark IV is an amp I can grow old with (although my back doesn't agree).

If you have the money, I would suggest you wait until you find the Mark IV. As Shep and Russ pointed out, if you don't like the Mark IV, you can always sell it and get a Mark III. Mark III can be had for a relatively low price nowadays.

Good luck,
~trem

Try the III before you make any decisions!

I tried them both (combo's) and because I preffered the SOUND of the III, I bought it. I played them both...over and over. The Iv's resale value and versatility were my initial main issues too. After falling in love with the TONE of the III, I gave up on the IV (no offense). I liked the IV's tone. They are very similar. But I was able to get a deeper, richer bottom on the III that no matter what I dialed on the IV, I couldn't match. The III's overdrive was also a little looser, not as compressed. Single notes especially, seemed to jump out nicer. All factors which enhance MY playing. Gain wise The III had more, but really not that much more. The IV was quieter to me. The III can be a pain to setup right. 2 of its 3 channels are easier to set up. Trying to set the "shared" Clean, R2, Lead buttons/sliders settings to all work together, can take a lot of tweaking. Plus, volume wise, when switching from the clean and R2 channels the Clean is louder (easy fix...if don't mind modding it). $1200CDN is about 1070ish USD, which is pretty normal for eBay Mark III's (IF they have the EQ, Reverb & Simulclass). I don't believe you can make a bad choice with either. But I would definately try them BOTH out. I am in NO WAY putting down the IV...it's on my list of dream amps!!

Vcamargo is right. Try them both if possible. You might just like the III better. You really can't go wrong with either, as they're both great amps.

Back