List of tubes tried with the Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb's 52

Reaction score
So...

What tubes have you tried and what are your impressions of them? Brand, bias and experience?

I tried the search function but I think I broke it :( I'm still running stock tubes and I like them
but I'm sure when I need to re-tube, I'll be wanting to experiment :D

Thanks!!!

I am using SED Winged C 6L6s and Tungsol 12AX7s

I am very happy with that tube configuration. The crunch and extreme settings are very smooth and creamy. The cleans are very chimey and bell like.

I have Tung Sol EL34b's in and to my ears they are a huge improvement over the stock tubes. I found the stock tubes a touch harsh on the mids and highs especially on CH3. The EL34b's smoothed everything out. The only preamp tube I have touched was to replace V1 with a Tung Sol 12AX7. It warmed up CH1 and added a bit more growl to CH3.

Power tubes, ranking:
1. SED =C= EL34s
2. JJ EL34s
3. Mesa STR 447 EL34
4. JJ 6L6s
5. Mesa STR 440 6L6s

Best preamp tubes for v1-3 in my opinion: NOS RFT
Favorite PI (V7) tube: Mullard Reissue

Unlike the rest of you, I dislike Tung Sols in this amp. They sound too bright to me.

lots of choices out there. different cabs, speakers, guitars and pickups would also have an influence on the sound.

i have tried different brands and types which included:

6L6's>>>>> mesa, svletana, winged C and Tad's. they all have somthing different and special

EL34's>>>>>mesa, Winged C, tungsol new production and mullard new production. i settled for mullard's ( iwas looking for smooth, creamy, strong bass, lower mids and smooth highs)

preamps:

i settled in V1 mullard RI high gain, V2 Tad, V3 tung sol , V4,V5,V6 (svletana) and V7 sovtek 12AX7 LPS.

i had this tubes running for over 5 months now... they work for me.

one thing to mention: anytime i tried tubes in general, itried them for at least 5 days at mid volume (try differnt settings)

i found that sound is very personal and everything regarding reviews are just guidelines for us.

good luck :wink:

Well I'll throw two-cents at this. I hace a MKIII Red-Stripe 60 watt Non-SimulClass and I've managed to get the most heinous tone out of it after trying various pickup and tube configs.
The Mesa 6L6 STR440's vary a lot by color code. The amp came with Reds. I tried the Greys and they had a lower break-up or clip across the board. Far less overdrive, punch and bottom end available. The Reds have more break-up or clip in low-end and lower-mids and the top-end is fat/thick. Reds have a ton of drive. Then I tried Yellow. Wow !....More balanced and smooth sounding than the Reds. I backed-off the upper-mids and top-end (sliders 4 and 5) on the EQ and WTF ! I'm in MKIIC+ territory. Bone-crushing bottom-end. I'm playing a Les Paul with a Pearly Gates through a C90 4x12. I also use a V1 Bottle Rocket for a 2nd lead and rhythm sound.
The preamp tubes: I tried J J and Mesa. Then Tugsol (too grainy), the best I found......Okay don't knock it til ya try it ....EH. Yeah, Electro-Harmonics. They smoked the others hands down for balanced tone. They have more bite and a singing quality I didn't hear in the others.
And these are spares I had lying around from various Marshalls.
Anyway, that's about two-cents worth.

Cool cool...

I have a spare pair of Winged =C= EL34s and a pair of EH EL34s I think I can drop in and try there.
I have a couple other homeless 12ax7's as well, Tungsols, Mullards, EH (I think). I'm gonna have to
experiment.

I know it's all subjective and there's a lot of factors but you guys know best about the amp we
all play :D

Thanks all, keep 'em coming!!

SED =C= EL34s
I see these all over the internet but the prices varry ALOT! I dont know who to buy from or if i should just get something mesa branded or what ones to get from mesa.

I have a Mark V 90w on the way and should be here tuesday. Its like new and barely been played has everthing including manual and even the tags still on it.

I wana have a good EL34 set to try on it. For the stuff i hear about el 34's on variac mode and other tone experments.

I just dont want to over pay or get tubs that will red plate.

I spent stupid money on some NOS gold lion el84s for my orange combo and they blew out with in a hour. Never wana experance that again.

How about these options on sweetwater.com? Or these on eBay?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803_200135_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_200135_Chrome.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240803_200326_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_200326_eBay.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240803_200316_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_200316_eBay.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
Back