Mark III Stripes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trust me in that 15 watts is plenty loud. take into account what type of cab you will be using; but my Mark III at 15 watts through my 4*12 Is extremely loud. A good speaker cab like an ev loaded thiele will also be plenty loud. The efficiency of the speaker is what really determines how loud the amp is as 100 watts is just barely louder than 50. Wattage does not determine the "loudness" in decibels.

I do understand speaker efficienceny and the decible difference between amps.

Trust me when I say I know 15 wont work for my situation. That wouldnt even cut it in our rehersal space. Our Bass Player plays a Mammoth Rig, our Drummer beats the ever living peerhiney out of his Kit, and I dont Mic at live Gigs (dont like the tone of my Guitar through the PA).

I currently play a four EL84 fixed bias amp with 409 volts running on the plates, putting out 50 watts clean and 85 dimed into a 2x12 open forced resistance cab with two 100 db speakers in it. I barely turn the Master down a smidge at rehersal. If thats what Im using now 15 is gonna get lost with our rythem section pumping let alone the rest of the Bunch.

Hope that dosnt come across the wrong way?

I do agree a 4x12 makes for way more volume. I recently sold my 4x12's and 100 watters, to old and to lazy to carry them any more

We are all going through a midlife crissis so the louder the better I guess. :lol:

Now I do think my Tech could easily rewire the Class A Triode to Pentode. So no matter what Stripe could be made to do that in any Simul Class Amp I suppose.

ok if you are using 2*12 cabs you may need more power. keep your eyes open as 60 watters go pretty cheap on ebay. The difference between the stripes is subtle so just find one at a good price and go with it. The mark III is one great amp. What type of music will you be using it for?

We currently play Blues, Country, Classic Rock and the occasional Origonal. We may even start doing some Contemporary stuff soon as well. We do have a Wide Pallet that we play though. Everything from Kings X, to Patsy Cline, to T Bone Walker, to Jo De Messina, to Pink Floyd, and maybe some ZZ Top to Top it off.

We mostly play for fun/money these days but have done some cool things in the past.

You would freak if I told you some of the Bands that used to open for us or shows we did with other bands but I best not go there. Did release some CD's along the way as well (back when that was a big thing).

Nomad said:
Now I do think my Tech could easily rewire the Class A Triode to Pentode. So no matter what Stripe could be made to do that in any Simul Class Amp I suppose.

Don't get caught up in the pentode/triode war. The 60 watt MkIII will put out more than 85 watts when dimed. The MkIII Boogie does not have to be dimed to get that "cranked" tone (so a 15/75 watt triode version will be plenty loud enough). The Simulclass version of the MkIII has the most tonal options, IMHO. :D

Well I was saying that the 25 watt option in the Green Stripe might hang in some aplications but there was no way the 15 watt would cut it. Not sure if that was a war. I'm sure the 900 watt version works for some just not me. :lol:

The 60 watter would be right up my ally and the Green Stripe and for that matter the DC-5 would get the job done also. 85 Watts Clean on a Scope and whatever dimed on a scope would get me into arse chewing territory.

Now remember I made a point about me liking my Power Tubes Percolating. :lol:

Whe I actually get some freakin cash in hand and maybe get out and find one I can play a little I guess I will know more.

Thanx for all the help Guys and keep it coming.

It would be nice if I could run across one or two locally.

JOEY B. said:
The 60 watt MkIII will put out more than 85 watts when dimed. The MkIII Boogie does not have to be dimed to get that "cranked" tone (so a 15/75 watt triode version will be plenty loud enough). :D

Whaaat? Can't hear you! Would you believe I blew another EV!?

phyrexia said:
JOEY B. said:
The 60 watt MkIII will put out more than 85 watts when dimed. The MkIII Boogie does not have to be dimed to get that "cranked" tone (so a 15/75 watt triode version will be plenty loud enough). :D

Would you believe I blew another EV!?

No Way :x . Should I contact the "unspoken brotherhood" to get you one of our special blow-proof EVM-12L's? :wink:

edward said:
Hi Nomad,

Ask, and ye shall receive :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

Edward

Thanx for all the help.

And the questions just keep coming. Looking at the link you posted where it says Green/Simulclass. Does that mean that models prior to that werent. I dont guess it could because the Blue I just bought is SimulClass.
Maybe Im just reading this wrong? :?:

I think I can now asnwer my own question. I guess it means the Simul Class was changed or denoting (in the first line) these are the items that were changed.

I would advise you to get a Mark III Simul-class, EQ, and Reverb. Opt for the EVM if you get a combo. If you get a combo, track down a 112 EVM Theile cab. The Theile is a MUST for a combo. If you get a head version, then a 212 Half-back cab is perfect if you don't want to lug a 412. Look for one with a C90/EVM combination.

I have a 200-watt Coliseum Mark III half-stack--I've used it in plenty of smaller clubs. It's very controllable. I use a compressor with this amp to tame the dynamics. Yes, it will get very loud; but this amp has explosive dynamics, and a compressor gives it more of a small amp feel.

I honestly don't think the full power setting of a Simul-class amp will be too much for you. Unlike some amps, these amps have a smooth pot taper at lower settings, so low volumes can be easily controlled.

A fully equipped Simul-class Mark III will always have the best resale compared to the 60- or 100-watt versions.

As to stripes, each version has its fans--I've never gotten a definitive answer to there being a "best" version; but I like my combo a lot.

If you want more control over the power amp levels, then by all means consider a Mark IV. With the Simul-Class/Class A, Full/Tweed, Pentode/Triode options you have a lot more range than on a Mark III. The learning curve is steeper, but if you are patient--it can be a very rewarding amp.

Good luck in your quest.

Bill

Thanx Bill.

Picking up a Blue Stripe Simul EQ Reverb EV in the morning.

Found one in Alabammy for sale in great condition with a Flight Case.

Latest posts

Back