Mark III Serial number 244xx - What Stripe?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the blue stripe simli class had the ( forgot the serial but i will remeber as soon as i see it) or the 562003 ( special upgrade model ) output transformer.. the green stripe only had a 562004..so the tranny it has will tell us what model it is..

go download the manual for a modern mesaboogie amp. say, the f-50, and there is an article contained within called "on triodes, pentodes, and irishmen" will explain everything

rabies said:
Shep said:
the blue stripe simli class had the ( forgot the serial but i will remeber as soon as i see it) or the 562003 ( special upgrade model ) output transformer.. the green stripe only had a 562004..so the tranny it has will tell us what model it is..

This is not necessarily true. My green has a 562003 (Mesa apparently doesn't waste any parts).

I recently started a thread about my green (see link below) and you have to check the wiring of the outer tube socket pins 3 & 4. I actually talked to Mike B about this (he made our amps). If 3 & 4 are connected, it's a blue (triode) if not, it's a green (pentode).

Bottom line is: it's the wiring of the outer (class A) tube sockets that differentiates the stripes, not the OT's. Non-green are triode wired, greens are pentode wired. quote]

Yeah but your amp is a Real one off..i would think there would be around 100, 200 of those amp's around..it can still give a close idea..and its easier to check than taking out the whole chasis..but you are still right..[/b]

gts said:
Interesting article.
Does this mean a pentode delivers a cleaner more powerful controlled tone?

in essence, yes. but remember why. wiring in pentode has the tubes putting out about 10 or so more watts than triode, so what does this mean, more headroom on the tubes before breakup, so it produces a slightly cleaner, more focused sound at the same volume level as a tube wired in triode. one of the things I love about my blue stripe is that the inner 6l6's (pentode) will stay clean, while the outer el34's (triode) will break up, so you can get that wonderful power tube break we all know and love, and still maintain incredible punch, clarity, and note definition from the clean pair of tubes.

Not to confuse anyone, but my "blue stripe" MkIII short head was a very early Mesa build ('85/'86). Not sure how that happened, or why. Its serial number is 16861.

Imbuya and wicker MkIII short head (small "boogie" logo):
Simul-class
Interanational transformer (red plate with variable AC)
Currently running 2x6L6 and 2xEL34
Factory EQ
Factory fan
Factory reverb
Factory installed Channel 2 "gain boost" mod
(includes rear-mounted gain-boost pot, and "under chassis"
mini toggle switch, and it is also footswitchable!)

Cheers

imbuyaboy said:
Not to confuse anyone, but my "blue stripe" MkIII short head was a very early Mesa build ('85/'86). Not sure how that happened, or why. Its serial number is 16861.

One of mine is a purple stripe SN 1818X That sounds more in the Black stripe era or else it has been modded to Blue specs.

Latest posts

Back