Mark III or go the whole hog and go MK IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooba

Reaction score
So i've been looking at sourcing a mark III but with the prices on these rising i've wondered if i'd be better off spending extra and going a mark IV?

Neither are exactly common in Australia on the second hand market but i'm prepared to wait if need be.

Why would i want a mark IV over a III or Vice versa?

Thanks
Steve

Get a Mark III if
You dont need 3 full channels= You dont mind running a eq in the loop
You want a more aggressive sound
You dont need to play quietly
You dont mind the crap switching system
Get the mark IV if
You want 3 completely different channels
You want to get good sound at bedroom volumes
You are looking for a smoother sound
you want a better footswitch

Either way you should be happy. And welcome to the board :D

Bedroom levels are easily achievable with a Mk lll. I have had a lV and will never have one again or at least as long as I have my Mk lll. To me they are a much superior sounding amp over the Mk lV. It obviously depends on what sound you are looking for, you will need to try both for yourself to decide.
It takes a little time to set up the lll but once you find the sweet spot...wow. Setting up a lV was a nightmare, one wrong movement on any of the 4000 control knobs threw it out completely.
YMMV

If the Mark III really is "more aggressive-sounding" than a Mark IV, as many here report, I would probably prefer that over the Mark IV, which I'm actually planning to pick up next week. If I could demo a Mark III somehow locally, that could easily change, however.

LEVEL4 said:
If the Mark III really is "more aggressive-sounding" than a Mark IV, as many here report, I would probably prefer that over the Mark IV, which I'm actually planning to pick up next week. If I could demo a Mark III somehow locally, that could easily change, however.

I'm in Whittier, CA. If that isn't too far, PM me and you can demo my MKIII non-simul green stripe. Or for a real treat, I could set up a demo at a great shop in Orange, CA that has a stage set up.

ursinus said:
I'm in Whittier, CA. If that isn't too far, PM me and you can demo my MKIII non-simul green stripe. Or for a real treat, I could set up a demo at a great shop in Orange, CA that has a stage set up.
Hey, thanks for your kind offer! I actually located a Mark III by phone at Sam Ash Hollywood that I'll be able to demo. I'll stop by there before I make the big purchase down the block at the Mesa store next week. You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for it! I think it was $2,600.

By the way, does anyone know the last year that the Mark IIIs were still in production?

Mark III= easier to dial in, more aggressive, more playful clean channel, r2 is the perfect mid gain channel IMO.
Mark IV= seperate controls (for the most part) for all 3 channels, pent/triode switch, tweed/full power switch, a little smoother sounding.

Cool, looks like i'd be happier with a III

Now if only i could find one!!!

Thanks for all the help guys, very much appreciated.

Steve

Latest posts

Back