Mark III - custom footswitch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna141

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm loving my Mark III, but don't like the pedal tap dance required to change channels due to the two footswitches required.

Has anyone figured out how to make a single footswitch, with 3 buttons so that you can simply step on Ch1 to switch to channel 1, push switch #2 to switch to Rhy2 etc.? This would be much better than having to press switch 1, then switch #2 to access Rhy2 (also less confusing too).

Ideally, I'd like to build a switchbox with 4 buttons - ch1, ch2, ch3, & EQ, and have LEDs as indicators.

I figured I'd ask before I trying to figure out a solution myself. Have any of you guys attempted anything similar?

I want the same thing with the three channels, reverb, and EQ. I emailed a company yesterday to ask if they could build one.

Tried experimenting with midi switches? Then you could save some configurations on it and link them to your own pedal board. These are semi-simple to make if you are a DIY type of guy. There are schematics all over the internet for these.

(yes, I'm trying to make one for myself)

I have a GCX/Ground contol set-up that I can use if I want to use midi, but would prefer to keep it simple and just build a 3 or 4 button footswitch that controls the channels & EQ. I did this for my Mark IIC and I'm happy with it. The Mark III is a little more complicated with the way it switches channels and the footswitch button interaction.

I'll probably tackle this project in the fall, and will share my solution with the forum.

My amp tech is about to finish a custom footswitch for my MkIII, it will have 7 buttons with this arrangement/options:

Rhy1 - Rhy1 w/EQ - Rhy2 - Rhy2 w/ EQ - Lead - Lead w/EQ - Reverb

this way, if i wanna go from a clean with EQ to a lead sound without EQ i just have to step once. and yes, it will have leds, powered by a internal power supply.

soon he finish it i'll post pics ok?

Try contacting Bill Ussery from Austin Tone Lab. He posts here (or did post here at one time). He's Mesa's #1 recommended tech in the US, and is Eric Johnson's guitar guy. I met up with him at his workshop to get my Mark III fixed/cleaned up and he showed me a few he's made for EJ and other customers. I'm sure he either has some or can build you one.

Here's his new(ish) company website:
http://www.austintonelab.com/

Vigo1999,

Your footswitch sounds awesome. Yes, please post photos after you receive it! A shot of the inside wiring would be great if possible. Thanks.

AR, thanks for the info regarding Bill Ussery, but I'm just looking for quick little project that I can build myself (for fun and improved functionality)...Vigo1999's footswitch sounds cool. It may give me some good ideas for my pedal.

AR said:
Try contacting Bill Ussery from Austin Tone Lab. He posts here (or did post here at one time). He's Mesa's #1 recommended tech in the US, and is Eric Johnson's guitar guy. I met up with him at his workshop to get my Mark III fixed/cleaned up and he showed me a few he's made for EJ and other customers. I'm sure he either has some or can build you one.

Here's his new(ish) company website:
http://www.austintonelab.com/

If he can deal with EJ, he must be very patient.

I think EJ is on the meds like most of us these days, so he doe'snt have to go home because his cable is curled. I feel his pain. Track 5 on Venus Isle is a clinic in perfection, As is Desert Rose. How can one shred with a 1,000 pound violin on those tunes is beyond me.

i made a pretty cool pedal using DPDT switching.. so i can change from lead to clean..clean to rhy2 or lead to rhy 2 with one tap.. also i added a bit where ever its on the cleaen there will be reverb and the others its off..

Shep,

What you did is exactly what I'm looking for. Is it possible for you to send me a schematic, or wiring diagram, or a photo so I can figure out how you wired it?

I'd like to make the same type of switch but also add a switch for the EQ.

Thanks.

No new info. Shep (Tom) did PM me with this info:
yeah, I ended up with a small 2 DPDT switch box.. and they are just the same as putting the rhy1/lead and the rhy2/rhy1 in one box.. i powered the Led's off the 12.6 LDR's..the switch are close together so you can hit both in one step if you want or just one at a time.... i also wired the reverb to turn on when the clean channel is on..

This is the temp box until i work this out..

But, this configuration is not exactly what I'm looking to do, which is a single button to switch each channel. I haven't had time to try to figure it out yet and will post my solution if I'm able to come up with one. If not, I'll probably do what Shep did and simply put a couple of the switches close to each other so that I can press them both at the same time.

Tuna141 said:
Vigo1999,

Your footswitch sounds awesome. Yes, please post photos after you receive it! A shot of the inside wiring would be great if possible. Thanks.

AR, thanks for the info regarding Bill Ussery, but I'm just looking for quick little project that I can build myself (for fun and improved functionality)...Vigo1999's footswitch sounds cool. It may give me some good ideas for my pedal.

for sure! soon it's done i'll post here!!

actually he is here at home right now, saying to told ya that he's usins PIC (Pic Micro Controller) technology on the wiring:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=64

really cool stuff! 8)

Vigo1999 said:
My amp tech is about to finish a custom footswitch for my MkIII, it will have 7 buttons with this arrangement/options:

Rhy1 - Rhy1 w/EQ - Rhy2 - Rhy2 w/ EQ - Lead - Lead w/EQ - Reverb

this way, if i wanna go from a clean with EQ to a lead sound without EQ i just have to step once. and yes, it will have leds, powered by a internal power supply.

soon he finish it i'll post pics ok?

internal PS? You gotta put batteries in it? Or plug it in? Is it powered from the amp??

Back