Mark IIC+ 'v' Bogner Ecstacy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys
just trying to get honest advice on which amp you would go for given you had the money 8)
both great amp's and both cost pretty much the same but I have played a C+ and it was very impressive but little fizzy gain.

I never played an XTC but there is nothing but awesome reviews wherever you look online etc.
I have owned a SLO, DSL 50, Dual Rectifier, Fuchs ODS. I really enjoy playing neo-classical type music so love a creamy fluid lead channel but yeh if anyone here has played these two or perhaps another then feedback would be greatly appreciated
thanks guys :D

I've had both, and Love both amps but they're pretty different from each other. What are your plans? Gigging and needing versatility? At home playing? Recording? What tones are you after?

Either can do a "Creamy fluid lead" sound, but the MKIIC+ is pretty much the king of that particular sound IMHO.

I've recently sold a Mark IV and kept an XTC for what it's worth. I sold my Mark IV originally to buy the XTC, bought it back when I had the funds, realised I much preferred the XTC, sold it again.

Not the same amp, but not far off either.

hey sorry just checkin in now but thanks guys. Yeh I play bedroom practise at the moment and love playing a variety of styles. I do enjoy a tone that doesn't fart out if you know what I mean :)
Yes I had a SLO and sold it again only to help pay for my car but the SLO really wasn't what I thought it would be. It had amazing overdrive probably the best I have heard but I dunno it just didn't have sustain or that smooth lead sound that I was hoping for. Was similar to the dual rectifier in my opinion in the lead/solo channel.
Maybe it needed a good tune up or different tubes

Both a SLO and a Recto need to get working to get any sustain going....definitely not bedroom amps.

In all honesty, no high wattage tube amp is going to perform as it should in a bedroom.

the SLO and a recto preamp is almost identical. The recto has a fixed tone network after the first tube stage.

well thats why I need some help because I reckon the amps would sound a whole new level different played at a gig etc.

but I see I should have tried the amps in a larger area to truly get a good a judgement of them.
But nomad does that mean the SLO and rectifier are the same amp?
I am not good technically with amps but why do the SLO cost double the price if they nearly identicle?

I don't know about mesa, but All Soldano amps are hand built by one tech at lest there website says so. I also think they use more expensive parts inside of their amps as in the caps and so on. I've not played an actual Soldano but the models on my tonelab sounds better then the DR model. More of a lead tone vs the DR being more of a rhythm tone. The SLO-100 actually came before the DR. Soldano is a smaller company and probably considered more of a boutique company than mesa. You know that in itself adds cost!

soldano = lifetime warranty

i have put a mark amp up against an XTC. I think it just depends on which voicing you like more.

PassionForFrets said:
I really enjoy playing neo-classical type music so love a creamy fluid lead channel

What you are describing is a Custom Audio Electronics OD-100+ SE by John Suhr and Bob Bradshaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywo0Mc8ELEg

But if you can't decide between a Mark IIC+ and a Bogner XTC, try an Elmwood Modena M60:

M60-4x12.jpg

http://www.elmwood.se/htm/modena/prod_modena.htm

I've heard them described more than once now as the perfect cross between an XTC and a IIC+ 8)

Latest posts

Back