MarK IIC + Simul Class Issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayou Boogie

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my first time on this site, I was really excited to find it!! I have owned a Mark IIC+ Combo since I was in college when I ordered it sight unseen from Petulma back in 1984 (my friends and family thought I'd lost my mind ordering a guitar amp that cost that much back then without even first trying it out!!). Many things have came and gone since then but I always held on to that amp, it's a work of art both asthetically and sonically. It's rich harmonic sustain and complexity with the amps tendancy to physically drive my playing completely shaped my sound and style over the years as I grew as a musician.
Over the past few years I drifted over to playing a few other amps and recently came back to it only to discover that it seems to have lost a good bit of sustain as well as the harmonic feedback which use to climb in octaves at very low volumes seems diminished. I have changed out both power and pre-amp tubes and think maybe I just need to send it back to Boogie for a check up. I just wanted to check and see if anyone had any ideas as to why the above mentioned issues along with a seemingly harsher tone is causing me grief. I would also add that it never went for more than a year at a time without at least being turned on or played.
I appreciate the forum and would look forward to any insights or feedback.
Thanks

sounds like it needs the jacks and tube sockets cleaned and possibly a cap job,
but I've gotten an amp to sound more "alive" just with cleaning the insides, so that might be it.

silentrage said:
sounds like it needs the jacks and tube sockets cleaned and possibly a cap job,
but I've gotten an amp to sound more "alive" just with cleaning the insides, so that might be it.
+1. A 25 year-old amp that you love should have a cap job. Board member Boogiebabies serviced my C+, and it sounds amazing. He gave it a thorough going-over, including blueprinting and upgrading, discussing options with me as he went through the amp. His service is truly personalized...you're not dealing with a big factory mentality. PM him to discuss the work.

By the way, he's the one who wrote this: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184&highlight=mark+iic

Latest posts

Back