Mark II help - What is this?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydrew

Reaction score
Ok, I went into a local store and they have this Mark II combo for sale. It's pretty beat up. It has an Altec speaker in it. The power cord is all frayed and it needs some work.

I tried to look inside the back for some markings. I noticed a toggle switch underneath the chassis behind the power tubes. Almost impossible to reach especially when the amp is on. You'd get burned from the tubes. I never saw a switch like that. Is this normal? What is it? Did anybody ever hear about this?

Lastly, what type of Mark II is this? I'm clueless? Serial number 5021. Any info would be appreciated. I was thinking about purchasing this amp but it definitely needs to go into the shop for an overhaul. At the very least it needs a new power cord. They wanted $650

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Time is of the essence.

thanks in advance.
jerseydrew

Speakers to amps are like pickups to guitars. You never know.

It obviously has a backplate with a serial number stamp so I'm sticking with a II A, plus the serial number is within the IIA range.

Boogiebabies, is the toggle behind the power tubes original to this amp? I've never seen nor heard of this before.

Also, is it worth the $675? It's a little beat up and needs some work. Lastly, if you think it's a Mk IIA, what year could this be from?

thanks

Boogiebabies said:
Probably a MK II A with a switchable mod.

Oh, I didn't see this before.

What's a switchable mod? Obviously this was done after the fact. What does the switch do?

It's probably a Fetron switch. On Boogie chassis there three holes in the middle. One for the preamp out, EQ/Reverb and an open one. I would bet it's a 79 or 80 which would put it in the Fetron era, a replacement for poorly made preamp tubes.

You'll know when you flip it. :D

Here's a Fetron switch diagram from Ian over at TBF.

i-4_B_L.JPG

Boogiebabies, that's it exactly. That's what it is. What was the purpose of this?

Also, I did not try the amp, what's the feeling on this particular model?

Lastly, is it worth $675 or should I get something else? Bear in mind this had to go into the shop for a "tune up".

Back