Mark 4 plexi ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

I've had my mk4 for about 8 months now, and from what I've read here not to many people like to have the bright and presence pulled on the lead channel. I never play with out these two pulled and for a long time I didn't know why, it just sounded better to my ears. I've suddenly realized why. With these two pulled what you get is basically a plexi bark from a boogie. I've been experimenting with both singlecoils and humbuckers and with single it's pretty close to early yngwie, john norum and even blackmore tones and with humbuckers I'm thinking Gary moore still got the blues kinda tone.

Hope you don't think I'm crasy but this is what I'm hearing. And this is probably the reason why the mesa boogie mk4 is the best amp in history and the amp all others shall be judged by :mrgreen:

Hope I'm not offending anyone

Best regards from iceland

Geiri

I'm not sure about any of the things you mentioned, but I happen to like the tones I get from either, or both of those pulled. I don't use them all the time, but the Mark IV is a tone beast! I personally think it's hard not to get a great tone from any of its options, but it depends alot on what you're running with it (guitar, pickups, effects, etc.).

The IV is a great amp for sure!!!

Sorry

I'm not capable of recording the amp. But I'll post the settings I use and you can try for yourselves and judge wether I've lost my mind or ears.

pentode, harmonics, simulclass all 6l6's full power.

Lead gain 8
Lead treble 8
Lead bass 3.5
Lead mid 5
Lead drive 8 pulled
Lead presence 1 pulled
Lead master 3
Output to taste but in my case bedroom volume

GQ

80Hz not all the way to the top but sitting on the line above the middle one
240 just above the middle line, if you can see the middle line when sitting in front of the amp then you're home.
750 half way down to the next line
2200 a hair lower than 240
6600 a hair higher than 240

Ok I suggest when using these settings listen carefully to the bass response of your guitar and also turn on and off the gq. Play some overtones and listen to how throaty it gets. This in my ears sounds very close to a hot plexi amp or a plexi with an od in front.

And by all means correct me if I'm wrong. But nevertheless this sounds soooooooo sweet.

Peace

Geiri

Back