Mark 4 pick attack

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
Hey, I run the amp with two 5881 and two el34. Ive tried a million tube combinations, happy with all, this amp is amazing. The only thing I get that I cant cure is an extra muddy neck pickup tone (maybe thats the MARK's great ability to identify the Mahogany). Any help, I run medium high mids (knob @ 5-7, slider at half or just over), and low bass (0-1), high gain (both at 7, presence at 2).

The other thing is, What can I adjust or search to get a tighter picking attack? Like, a clean paul gilbert/petrucci type fast pick attack, without it souunding so loose, or run together.

for gilbert tones look for headroom. his sound has little compression and with a mark i try to play with the guitar volume or lead gain. as for petrucci, you can check his site for exact settings. my mahogany ibanez s470 has muddy neck voicing with my mark but the basswood jp6 sounds as articulate as the bridge (just less crunchy). i dont really know much but thats how i percieve it

....maybe try a new neck pickup? I use SD '59's for all my neck P.U's...ahhh heaven:)

E_R said:
....maybe try a new neck pickup? I use SD '59's for all my neck P.U's...ahhh heaven:)

22fret or 24? it wasnt smooth enough when i had it in a 24 fret guitar

fatbagg said:
Hey, I run the amp with two 5881 and two el34. Ive tried a million tube combinations, happy with all, this amp is amazing. The only thing I get that I cant cure is an extra muddy neck pickup tone (maybe thats the MARK's great ability to identify the Mahogany). Any help, I run medium high mids (knob @ 5-7, slider at half or just over), and low bass (0-1), high gain (both at 7, presence at 2).

The other thing is, What can I adjust or search to get a tighter picking attack? Like, a clean paul gilbert/petrucci type fast pick attack, without it sounding so loose, or run together.

Sounds like your basic settings are ok. I can suggest that running the Mark 4 in pentode instead of triode sounds punchier. I prefer the sound of triode personally as it has more detail.Also, use "Harmonics" instead o "Midgain" Harmnonics is a more balanced sound wehre mid gain can be quite muddy

Also, consider using a different neck pickup, and adjust the gain so you aren't using too much. Practice lowering the gian more and more until you hear the clarity you want and then experiment around that range to find your sound.

Latest posts

Back