Mark 4 live gig troubleshooting advice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
i love my mark 4.last night at a gig i just couldnt get it to sound right.i usaully get a nice tone at gigs but this time it just sounded fizzy.not tight and defined.im sure this could be a few different things.when i am on the spot,and have tone problems i usaully just get frustrated and dont know what direction to go with it.what is a good troubleshooting checklist to run through when at gig and you just cant dial in your perfect tone?

moving a mark IV around easily results in knobs being turned, GEQ moving a bit etc..not to mention every room you enter will have different properties, that will require adjusting on the amp...that being said, i've never heard my mark IV sound 'bad'..once the tubes are warmed up with a song or two of playing, it just sounds better and better throughout the gig...also realize when you turn your amp up, the tone will change..the louder you go, the less gain you'll actually need (and treble, as on the IV it almost doubles as gain on most channels)..so your settings at a bedroom / practice level, may not be the same as for loud..thats why i crank my amp, get my live settings, then for practice / rehearsals just turn it down, and deal with the 'slight' tone loss (to me, it is very, very negligible)

so my only good advice haha...write down all your settings...like to a T (aka treble - 6.8, bass, 4.2 etc)..take a pic if you have too..if you get to the gig, and its sounding flubby, roll off the bass a bit..just use your ears, you can hear what frequencies are coming out of the amp you've never heard out of it before, and that you don't like...good luck, i've gigged like 5 times with my MKIV now..never a problem at home, rehearsals or gigs. (inside and outside)

thanks for the advice.should i be pushing the main output volume more than the individual channel volume?

should i be pushing the main output volume more than the individual channel volume?
thanks for the advice.should i be pushing the main output volume more than the individual channel volume?
I'll chime in on this one...IMO, yes. I've found that the tone gets thicker and has more sustain when the master is pushed to above 3 or so. I try to keep my individual channel volumes low enough, so that I can push the master volume to around 4-5. I find the tone sounds best around that level.

Latest posts

Back