Mark 3 simul-class for sale question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a new member and new to forums in general. I became a supporting member and I posted my Mark 3 Simul-Class for sale. It is a near mint walnut and wicker with all original paperwork, warranty etc., like it came out of a Time Machine.

I have not had one reply and I wonder if I did something wrong. I would think that there would be a lot of interest or comments on such a beautiful amp in such great condition. I tried to price it based on what I saw on Reverb and the condition mine is in.

Can anyone help me and let me know what I need to do to sell an amp here?

Thanks so much,

Phoenix

Thanks for sharing. I was trying to base my price off of reverb listings.

How can I determine a fair price?

Cherrs

Phoenix
Just my 2 cents. The gear market is always fluid and this current phase of the market is interesting. Maybe better to look at what actually has sold recently and perhaps not so much what Reverb sellers are asking. There is alot of gear listed on Reverb by "not so motivated" sellers with higher APs which gives an unrealistic perception of what the market is actually dictating. I agree with @scotticus beautiful amp however that is a high AP for a III these days even though it's unique example.

Just my 2 cents. The gear market is always fluid and this current phase of the market is interesting. Maybe better to look at what actually has sold recently and perhaps not so much what Reverb sellers are asking. There is alot of gear listed on Reverb by "not so motivated" sellers with higher APs which gives an unrealistic perception of what the market is actually dictating. I agree with @scotticus beautiful amp however that is a high AP for a III these days even though it's unique example.
I just checked sold listings on Reverb and found three amps exactly like mine, but no where near as good condition and not with the original case and paperwork. They sold between 3K and 4K. Based on those sold listings, I think mine is in that ballpark and much nicer, so I think I'll hold out. I don't need to sell it, I just hate to see an amp not get played and I play my Bludotone exclusively, so the Boogie is just sitting. Which seems really wrong to me.:)

It could also depend on if the amp has been factory serviced and/or factory modified. Many people looking at a Mark III will at least want the R2 mod performed, and some might want other mods as well. I don't know why, but I have noticed in some cases people will be more drawn to heads than combos, and even modern headshells can draw some people in, though I personally would rather have a combo in its original shell.

Put your amp on Reverb. You're way more likely to get an impulse buyer or collector there. Most people here already have any Mesa they'd be willing to pay that kind of money for.

Yeah, if you're looking for the top of the market you'll have to be patient. Likely someone who really wants a clean hardwood combo. (Combos are less valuable in general than heads.)

I just bought a MINT green stripe long head (tolex) a couple months ago for $2200, which is a good current price. If it were me I'd post it for $3K which would be high current market (due to the hardwood & condition), and then consider serious offers. The market has gone soft in the last 6-12 months. Historically MkIIIs track at 1/3 the price of a IIC+. IIC+ have fallen lately to $6-8K for a DRG, just as a point of interest.

You are likely to get a higher sale price on Reverb, but then you're paying 6-8% to Reverb & Paypal, plus whatever tax bracket you're in when they send you the 1099.

I'm not sure if they will get that low but they are trending that way :D
^^^this, the mark iii is a great amp but it's not really iconic in any way, the collector appeal is really limited. prices got dragged up by the c+ hype but I'm willing to bet that less than ten mark iii's have actually changed hands for >$3K

That is a completely valid position, honestly nothing wrong with that. Just fire it up once in a while and enjoy it :)
I play it and
That is a completely valid position, honestly nothing wrong with that. Just fire it up once in a while and enjoy it :)
I play it and it sounds amazing. Only the way a boogie can.
^^^this, the mark iii is a great amp but it's not really iconic in any way, the collector appeal is really limited. prices got dragged up by the c+ hype but I'm willing to bet that less than ten mark iii's have actually changed hands for >$3K
Maybe I’ll post on reverb, which I don’t really want to do, or drop the price and let it go.

Maybe I’ll post on reverb, which I don’t really want to do, or drop the price and let it go.
It's probably the nicest III I've ever seen for sale, the question is how many people out there are willing to drop >$3500 on a non-artist-owned III no matter how nice it is. Reverb's definitely your best bet.

It's probably the nicest III I've ever seen for sale, the question is how many people out there are willing to drop >$3500 on a non-artist-owned III no matter how nice it is. Reverb's definitely your best bet.
Thanks for the appraisal. It's really like it came out of time capsule, every single piece of original paperwork included.

I know that three sold on Reverb for 3000 to 4000, so they are being sold at that price, those were sold listings. And mine is much nicer than the one that sold for 4K on Reverb. But I don't really want to sell on Reverb.

Given its condition, I assumed there was probably some Mark III Simul-Class devote' out there with plenty of disposable income who would jump on it.

I could post it on Reverb, I suppose, but I thought a group dedicated to Boogies would be a better platform.

I'll give it some time. I would keep it, but it's too nice to gig and I'm no collector, I play my Bludotone and that works for me.

cheers,

There are definitely Mark III's that have recently, and likely are selling over $3k. These are mostly going to be coli's, early no stripes with the 105s, and those modded with the R2, reverb, and +/++ mods. I think this is what will keep your green stripe lower than it could be, it really adds value to be checked over and modded by Mike B. Like it or not, his service adds value, and people will choose the Mike B serviced amp over one that needs it. It does seem like all prices are cooling, but in time, the values will rise again. If you're in the market for a II or III, now's the time to start watching and being ready to jump on something when it pops up, because the good deals that show up won't last long.

Thanks for the appraisal. It's really like it came out of time capsule, every single piece of original paperwork included.

I know that three sold on Reverb for 3000 to 4000, so they are being sold at that price, those were sold listings. And mine is much nicer than the one that sold for 4K on Reverb. But I don't really want to sell on Reverb.

Given its condition, I assumed there was probably some Mark III Simul-Class devote' out there with plenty of disposable income who would jump on it.

I could post it on Reverb, I suppose, but I thought a group dedicated to Boogies would be a better platform.

I'll give it some time. I would keep it, but it's too nice to gig and I'm no collector, I play my Bludotone and that works for me.

cheers,

I overpaid for a blue stripe on Reverb not too long ago, $4k. It was a mint condition HRG hardwood combo with 415 power tubes, a 12L, and a road case. Even had the original spare preamp tube and came with the footswitches. It must've been worth it to me at the time, but I don't think I'd do it again. I wanted something undoctored for what I was trying to accomplish, it was probably anomalous in terms of general market so don't let that one skew your pricing thoughts

I recently bought a Mark III very early no stripe, 105pt, combo in white tolex/black grille with EV. D, modified last year to DG, R2 and ++ by Mike B. I paid $4k. Overpaid? Possibly, probably. I love the amp though, and I essentially have a fresh, "new" Mark III that will last me as long as I choose to keep it. I see stock amps priced similarly with no maintenance or modding performed. Nothing wrong if someone wants a stock amp, or wants to keep theirs stock, that's their business. I just think about pricing from the standpoint of the potential buyer...if the asking or selling prices were the same, would I rather have the fresh, updated version, or the stock version? Only the buyer can answer that question for themselves.

cheers,
Try posting it on TGP?
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/amps-and-cabs-emporium.6/

Latest posts

Back