Mark 3 ++ mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, no info on the ++ mod.

Try calling Mike B. at Mesa for the info. He should be able to help you out.

When you say you have a Mark 3C+ with the standard transformer, which transformer exactly are you referring to?

And, who did the mod for you? Or were they imported? Just curious...

My Mark 3's a black dot, with the X101-162318 tranny, that I'm considering having modded to 3C+ specs.

Just about all my Boogie amps have the X101-162318 tranny, so I don't have much experience with the 105 and the Mark 3 trannys.

I've got a 105 tranny that I'm considering selling though.

When I say standard tranny I mean the smaller trannys used for the mark 3 once they ran out of 105's It was originally a blue stripe.
Do you have just the 105 transformer if you do I would be interested in buying it

The 105 tranny is by itself at the moment. It came from a Mark 2C+ I have.

I was hoping the Mark 2C+ it came from, could be made to sound closer to the other 2C+'s I have.

It comes down to this...

If I can get the Mark2C+ to sound as good as the others, I'll keep it (with the X101 tranny) and sell the 105 tranny.

If not, I'll probably put the 105 tranny back in, and sell the head.

Definitely give Mike B a call about the mods done to your amps. I'd like to know the difference between the 3C+ and the 3++ as well!

I briefly played a 3C+ or a 3+ in a Guitar Center not long ago. It sounded pretty good. It had one of the smaller worldwide voltage trannys.

Where abouts are you located? I'm in Sydney.

JD said:
I'm in Nth Queensland
I will ring Mesa next week.
If you do want to sell it let me know.
I know one part of the ++ mod is a 100k resistor between the vol pot and the treble pot where it just had a buss wire.

The ++ mod does not have a 100K between Vol. 1 and the Treble. It gets it's gain elsewhere.
It does however require six changes to the lead and preamp circuits and one to the loop.

Hey fellow Aussies.

I have sitting in my box of mesa transformers a 240 volt blueprint of a 105. This was in my C+ but i took it out for originality.I no longer need it as i have the old 105 back in and i have it with a step down transformer. So if Someone wants to buy it,Its your's.

The voltages when i set it up seemed pretty darn close to my current c+ 105 voltages. It's Really big too to so it can have that 105 plenty of power under the hood. I Don't know who made it as it was bought by the previous owner,some company from melbourne i think.
theres an idea.

Ed would i be right in saying that one of those 6 mods is a 10uf or so cap off the cathode of 2B. or am i thinking too old school.fire breathing mod.

Tom

Oi !!!!

Hi Tom,

It's one of them. I can't tell whether it's 10uf or .47uf. Still working on the details.
I'll be glad to share any info with you as I get it. Ozland only....

The ++ mod does not have a 100K between Vol. 1 and the Treble. It gets it's gain elsewhere.
It does however require six changes to the lead and preamp circuits and one to the loop.

how much of a difference does that make in sound?

can it be put in ?

boogieslayer said:

how much of a difference does that make in sound?

can it be put in ?

I did it in my C+ and it sounded more gainy and more aggressive. i found metal film resistor sounded the best.also tired carbon comp and carbon film.

Boogiebabies said:
Oi !!!!

Hi Tom,

It's one of them. I can't tell whether it's 10uf or .47uf. Still working on the details.
I'll be glad to share any info with you as I get it. Ozland only....

Sweet Thanks Ed.

.47uf wouldn't suprise me at it's not like the amp doen't already have a bucket load of gain. with that 100k off the treb pot it would be just Too much.

My IIC had the 100K resistor in there (carbon comp, I think). When I sent it in to Mesa to get the IIC+ upgrade, MikeB left it in.

Later, I put the resistor on a switch so that it was either in the circuit or so that it was shorted out. Being on a switch, I could play and play and play...all the while trying it with the 100K and trying it without the 100K. I could not hear the difference.

What kind of settings were you using where you could hear a difference? Clean or lead? Vol1 low, mid or dimed? Treble low, mid or dimed?

Thanks,

Chip

With the 100K and the V2A cathode bypass, you get more gain. With just the V2A bypass cap you get a mild boost.
The 100K by itself does not alter the tone much at all, if any.

Latest posts

Back