LSS - tube(s) got fried?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to my fried rectifier situation:

Bought 5y3 at local mesa dealer. Also got 5y3 in mail from Mesa (so now I have two working 5y3s).

Also got the 5AR4 from Mesa (michael at mesa suggested using it in lonestar).

Frankly, I'm afraid to try the 5AR4 in the lonestar, even though mesa suggested it.

Amp's been fine (knock on wood) since.

BTW, bought an Epiphone Dot Studio (cheapey-250 bucks) semi-hollow yesterday. With some tweaking on the tone control on the guitar in the neck (or both neck and bridge) position, this thing sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet in the lss.

Just to follow up on this thread....
Blew a second fuse in my LSS combo while playing on the 2nd channel in 15-watt mode. replaced fuse and watched the 5Y3 rectifier tube while I was playing. It started to flash bright orange and the sound started to chop out. This was a replacement rectifier tube (a Bendix NOS, $29 tube) since the Mesa 5Y3 blew a week after I bought the amp.
Soooooooo, on the phone with the nice folks at Mesa again. Tech this time suggested I try a GZ34/5AR4 in place of the 5Y3. Should sound a bit "tighter". It does, and hasn't blown any fuses yet. Too bad, the 5Y3 had a much "looser" sort of compression, but I'd rather not have to worry about blowing fuses or tubes at a gig.

robberns said:
Just to follow up on this thread....
Blew a second fuse in my LSS combo while playing on the 2nd channel in 15-watt mode. replaced fuse and watched the 5Y3 rectifier tube while I was playing. It started to flash bright orange and the sound started to chop out. This was a replacement rectifier tube (a Bendix NOS, $29 tube) since the Mesa 5Y3 blew a week after I bought the amp.
Soooooooo, on the phone with the nice folks at Mesa again. Tech this time suggested I try a GZ34/5AR4 in place of the 5Y3. Should sound a bit "tighter". It does, and hasn't blown any fuses yet. Too bad, the 5Y3 had a much "looser" sort of compression, but I'd rather not have to worry about blowing fuses or tubes at a gig.

I just put a Bendix in mine - the first attempt, I had a similar problem - sound started chopping in and out and blew a fuse. Turned out I didn't have it seated all the way in the socket. For some reason that tube required more jiggling than usual to get it all the way in.

Not saying that is the same thing that happened with yours, but its a thought...

Back