LSS speakers and impedance

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrhd28

Reaction score
My Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special has 3 speaker inputs- 1 is 8 ohms and the other 2 are both 4 ohms.

Can I attach a 2x12 8 ohm cab to the 8 ohm input and a seperate 1x12 8 ohm speaker to EACH of the 4 ohm inputs, thereby running 4 12's, without any risk to the amp?

So, I'd have am 8 ohm 2 x12 cab into the 8 ohm input, an 8 ohm 1 x12 cab into one of the 4 ohm inouts, and a seperate 1 x12 cab into the other 4 ohm input.

Thanks

see this post from last week:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=17767
... and just curious, why would you want to connect all that speakers into a 30 w amp ? For me 2x12 are way loud enough already for what this amp is designed for.

pjrhd28 said:
My Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special has 3 speaker inputs- 1 is 8 ohms and the other 2 are both 4 ohms.

Can I attach a 2x12 8 ohm cab to the 8 ohm input and a seperate 1x12 8 ohm speaker to EACH of the 4 ohm inputs, thereby running 4 12's, without any risk to the amp?

So, I'd have am 8 ohm 2 x12 cab into the 8 ohm input, an 8 ohm 1 x12 cab into one of the 4 ohm inouts, and a seperate 1 x12 cab into the other 4 ohm input.

Thanks

Just had a lengthy thread on this about a week ago. Do a search in this forum. Also, when in doubt, call Mesa. :D

My stab at answering your question is that if you do what you suggest, I think the overall load will be sub 4 ohms, which is typically not a good thing. The two 1x12s plugged into the two 4 ohm slots takes you to 4 ohms. Adding the 2x12 takes you below 4 ohms.

I think you'd be better off running the two 1x12s into a series box (giving you 16 ohms), then plug the series box and the 2x12 into 2 of the 3 jacks. Any config would be considered a "safe" mismatch. You could then decide what you like based on how it sounds. I suspect plugging the series box into the 8 ohm jack and the 2x12 into a 4 ohm jack would be best.

Thanks- that seem to clear things up-

I just want to try the 4 x 12's to see how it sounds.

So, the 8 ohm 2 x 12 into the 8 ohm plug plus the speaker in the combo (also 8 ohms) into one of the 4 ohm jacks should be OK???

pjrhd28 said:
Thanks- that seem to clear things up-

I just want to try the 4 x 12's to see how it sounds.

So, the 8 ohm 2 x 12 into the 8 ohm plug plus the speaker in the combo (also 8 ohms) into one of the 4 ohm jacks should be OK???

I believe Mesa would tell you "Yes."

Though if you wanted a "matched" load, plug both the combo and extension cab into the 4 ohm jacks.

Latest posts

Back