.22 Caliber Extension Cabinet Suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1965

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a great .22 caliber amp but would love to use one of the two 4 ohm output jacks for the amp's internal speaker and the other 4 ohm jack for a 1x12" closed back extension cabinet. I have this setup w/my Mark V (8 ohm for each speaker/jack) and it adds a lot to the overall tone of the amp.

Questions:

Does the external cabinet have to be 4 ohm or can it be 8 ohm? (finding a 4 ohm, 1x12" closed back cabinet seems relatively impossible)

Have a cabinet on the market you'd recommend?

Any help appreciated!
JD

You'll probably get way more responses over on the Gear Page forum for this question. You might have to go about sourcing a 4ohm speaker and an empty cab if there aren't a lot around off the shelf. Eminence makes 4 ohm 12" speakers. I have seen some 1x12 4 ohm cabs around here and there but they are often for Jazz amps or bass.

You’ll need another 8 ohms speaker so you can connect both the internal and external speakers to the 4 ohms jacks. I wouldn’t mix 8 and 4 ohms speakers.
The .22 has the same size cab as the early Mk’s, right?
Mesa extension cabs are plentiful used, usually with an 8 ohms speaker, look on Reverb and GC used section.

There is an online guide here about the speaker loads. Look under Connecting Cabinets to Amplifiers

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/218267437-What-is-the-best-way-to-connect-speakers-or-cabinets-

Yes -- good point raised by JD1965 above. You will need two 8 ohm speakers if you choose to use both 4 ohm jacks. You could run just one 4 ohm cab out of one of the 4 ohm jacks otherwise.

The guide also offers some safe mismatching scenarios.

Hey JD,

You already heard it: find another 8ohm speaker of your choosing: together with your combo's 8 ohm, you'll be fine.

As for the extension cab, Mesa ones are out there in used land, but they do command quite the premium ...worth it if you've willing to spend it. I use an Avatar 112 cab loaded with an MC90 and it is a glorious addition to my Express 525, but also adds girth to my DC5 if I use it there. Avatar makes excellent cabs: good wood, strong joints; genuinely solid and tight construction and a large variety of configurations. Reasonably priced new, but if you find one used even better.

Edward

Back