LSS and rectifier tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbull

Reaction score
Hi - I'm newly registered but have been lurking awile. I've read a bit in the archives about this issue, but can't really find an answer to my question.

I've had a LSS for about 10 months. Adore it, but it's already on it's 3rd rectifier tube. I know this is a "known issue" with the amp, but what are other people DOING about it. Is it a problem in the wiring of the amp itself? or a problem with the MESA tubes? If you put a non MESA tube in, don't you void the rest of your warranty. Am I just supposed to stock up on fuses and 5Y3's and live with it?

What are the rest of you doing?

Thanks for your replies/advice.

Rob

If you've gone through three 5Y3's in 10 months then something is wrong. I would suggest that you call Doug at Dougstubes.com and talk with him. He might suggest an NOS 5Y3 that he knows is strong. If that one blows out then I would think that something is wrong with the amp. Either the power transformer is surging or a wiring problem.

There are two options:

(a) try a NOS 5Y3. From what I have read, most people that do this have "solved" the issue.

(b) Apparently Mesa has an "official" mod for the LSS re: this issue. I haven't yet heard the specifics of what they actually change. I would call Mesa directly if interested in this route.

I had the mod done. So far 2 months and no tube prob. The tone is exactly as great after the mod as it was before..

O.K. guys, I'm new and I just recently ( within a month ) bought an LSS. Now I'm wondering ...should I try to take it back!?.I love it. The tone , the gain, everything. I'm playng in a band and bought it as a back up/ partner for my Fender , and now ya got me wonderin ...is the Fender a back up for the LSS ?....I'm gona hafta keep this thing..it sounds too cool. I play Blues & Rock., also am classically trained ( tho recently ). Been playing since the late 60's. I'm going to build a cab next week for another 12. I have a gig at a bike rally in late April and was only going to take the LSS, but I must say I'm starting to wonder if I need to rethink this thing. I've already ordered a clamshell cover for it. ....This thing is great for the blues....I was thinking about the LSC for next year.....Should I order a complete set of tubes for this thing or what ?....I've got to think I've got a really special amp here. Ya know ...I just went in to look at the 5:25 express - the 10 inch. It was cool but you know, that Lonestar was just sitting there. Well you know I'll be watching and reading every morning w/ coffee , giong over to my bandroom just to look at'er and see if she looks OK......I just hope I can sleep at nite ( not that I could anyway). Well....nobody said love was gona be easy......later..Chuck Guitar...

I've never had an issue. I did however retube about a week after I got my LSS almost 3 years ago. The Mesa tubes are sub par. The tone is so tremendously better with quality tubes anyway. I would get a set of NOS preamp tubes, and a NOS recto tube, and JJ power tubes (high gain set).

I use 5751 in v1-3, a 12AT7 for the reverb driver and a 12Ax7 for the phase inverter.

As a side note. If you lose the 5Y3 during a gig, just switch the amp to 30w, and play the rest of the gig.

speedy is correct--if you do lose the rectifier and fuse, you can switch to the 30W mode. However, if you leave the recto tube in the socket, it is still in the circuit and may blow the fuse again. Make sure you take it out if you've blown a fuse.

My LSS actually came with an NOS 5Y3 tube with Mesa stamped on it. I replaced it at the 2 year mark with a new Mesa 5Y3 when I retubed. It lasted 10 months and then blew. Fortunately, I had kept the old NOS tube which is still working.

Tech support at Mesa told me they had a stock of NOS 5Y3 tubes a few years ago, but don't have them any longer.

My experience only ...

I've had no problems with mesa tubes and the stock rect. (My serial is < 40, so no mods have been done)

As soon as i switched to non mesa tubes, I started to blow my rect. Once I got tubes matched for my amp (thetubestore), no more issues with tubes/rect.

I agree with the NOS folks, they are not made like they used to be, but I have had no problems with new/old tubes that were matched for my amp.

I'm starting to feel better, and I really appreciate the quick response. I did get to thinking that there has to be lots of these out gigging w/ no problems. Seems like you guys have done your homework so I'm not going to sweat it. I never have been techie but I guess I need to set the guitar down and become ballanced in that direction.
I use the 30 ( for clean ) in the first channel and 15 in the 2nd ( for gain ), I also have the speaker in the optional out for the extra 5 thinking I'll get extra headroom. I'm an old Twin Reverb guy. When I want it clean, I want it in a big way. When I add a 1x12 cab, they told me at Mesa that I'd have to go to the other outlets. Well I really appreciate you guys talkin me down, I feel like I just called a sponser. Time to play....

Latest posts

Back