LSC with 6V6's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old-guy

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Anybody out there try running their LSC with 6V6 power tubes?
Just looking for your opinion of the sound, tonal / power changes etc.

Thanks,

Bob :D

I tried mine with el34s and it sounded fantastic.

For about an hour and a half.

Then it started smelling like it was burning up.

Now I have to drive 150 miles to put it in the shop. :roll:

I haven't but I put Ruby bstr el34's in right off the bat and they kick azz. I tried it with old Teslas too... same, kicked azz. No smoke here :twisted: .
I don't think I'll be going back to the 6l6's.

LSSMan said:
I tried mine with el34s and it sounded fantastic.

For about an hour and a half.

Then it started smelling like it was burning up.

Now I have to drive 150 miles to put it in the shop. :roll:
Were you using the diode rectifier instead of the tube rectifier?

My Trem-o-Veb manual state if using EL34s, it is recommend to use the tube rectifier. Just a thought. But even though maybe the LSC manual state you could use EL34s with diode rectifier is fine. Dunno know :?

Personally I just don't trust EL34s on Boogies with the exception of Simul Class or Stiletto. I know EL34s user members on this board are going to get on my case they're using EL34s just fine with no-ill effects.

Actually the manual says to use "tweed" mode, 100 watts & the 4 ohm speaker jack. (i read it just this morning, page 14)

Anyway, nobody here so far has commented on how 6v6's actually sound in the lonestar.

Does anyone know if the blond, brownface fender bassman used 6v6's?

boogiemon said:
Does anyone know if the blond, brownface fender bassman used 6v6's?
Exception of short lived Bassman 20 82-'83, no Fender Bassman ever used 6V6s, the tubes are either 5881s or 6L6s.

Fender Vintage Champs, Princetons and Deluxes uses 6V6s.

Remember just because you are using 6V6s whether its LoneStar or Mark IV, you don't necessarily get a vintage Fender like a "Deluxe sound". ALot has to do with the output transformer and a LoneStar or Mark IV are 100 (85) watt rated output transformer whether you are in 50 watt mode or tweed mode.

old-guy said:
Hi Guys!

Anybody out there try running their LSC with 6V6 power tubes?
Just looking for your opinion of the sound, tonal / power changes etc.

Thanks,

Bob :D

did you every get some REAL feedback (punny, no?) on this? i've been wondering myself.

thnx.

No replies for 6V6's. ???????????????????

OK, I'm gonna check with Mesa. I know that I'm supposed to run them set on Tweed, on the 100w setting with the tube bias set on 6L6 @ 4ohms. I want to see if the 8 ohm setting will hurt anything. (I have a Hot Plate hooked up for 8 ohms, I'd rather not disconnect it) I also want to know what will happen if I switch to the 50w setting so the tube rectifier is engaged instead of the silicone diode. (Don't want to "fry" anything.)

After I talk with them I may order a quad and plug them in. I've been curious about them ever since I got the amp. "IF" I do, I'll let you guys know how they sound. (I'm not sure if I'm gonna do it yet)

Thanks for the replies!
Bob

Back