LSC Upgrades

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeyz

Reaction score
I just purchased my very first Mesa 2 weeks ago. Its the 2006 LSC 50/100. I'm still learning and experimenting with it. I wanted the LSS, but didn't like the colors offered and couldn't find a deal like the LSC. Its only home and recording. I thought of a THD hotplate or Weber Mass before buying this. Still thinking. I'm a bit confused after a casual stroll thru GC the other day. I saw a Fender Supersonic and thought I would just try it out. I just loved the tones coming off that amp. I know it has Groove tubes 6l6's and a V30. I've always loved the tone of a V30 dating back to my early Marshall days. I've never found its equal(to my ears anyway). I was thinking of putting 2-V30's along with 2 or 4 matched set Groove power tubes in the LSC. The reason? While I really like this amp, It just seems lacking something. Any advice is welcome.

I wanted a bigger fuller sound so I got some JJ's and retubed. Then I got an ext. cab with some weber speakers. Now it sounds great.

I would save the money and sell the amp. If you keep the amp, you'll only hate it more, as time goes by. I have done the speaker swap, tube change, and all I got was less money in my pocket and an amp, that had still had something missing. just trying to save you money. mesa will do this to you, you'll keep on thinking you can dial it in or change this or that, forget it, move on to another amp. It took me a long time to find a mesa that I love, (stiletto ace 2x12) be careful IMHO

I have both the LSC 50/100 and the Fender Super Sonic and I I love both of those amps so much that I wont get rid of either of them. To me the the Fender sounds a little more organic and wooly (in the Bassman mode) on the clean channel. The LSC's clean channel is definately much cleaner, and compared to the Super Sonic it's a little bit sterile sounding. The distortion channel on the Super Sonic is definately more modern sounding than the one on the LSC.

I have tried V30's in my LSC 2x12 and I thought they sounded great on Channel 2, but I ended up keeping the stock speakers because the clean channel definately sounded better with the stock speakers. In my opinion if you will be using your LSC primarily on channel 2, the V30's will be great, but if you use the cleans more, you are better off with the stock speakers.

Thanks to all for the great advice so far. I'm still pondering... I saw a post the other day for Avatar cabs. I also saw many people mixing speakers speakers in these cabs. These are VERY reasonable, and an interesting option. Whatever I choose to do about my lonestar, I could still keep the Avatar cab as they do mixing speakers and tolex colors as well. Hmm...

My LSC head was a good amp thru a Dr. Z Z best 2 x 12 closed back cab with the mixed Celestions.

It became a GREAT amp through a Carr open back 2 x 12 with Eminence Patriot Speakers.

I've been hearing alot of good things lately about those Patriot speakers. I really need to hear them first though. I still would like to hear from anyone who has used a hot plate THD or Weber on the Lonestar. I did get a chance to hear this amp with a little volume just before breakup and it sounded great! Still I would like another speaker option, and I prefer a cabinet as I can keep that even if I sell the Lonestar. However.....I can't bring myself to do that just yet. Thanks for the info...

Latest posts

Back