Low volumes live= good tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sistine35

Reaction score
Ive been a sound engineer for studio and live audio for over 8 years now. Just recently I ran sound for a guy at a local music festival. He had a tripple rec and the standard cab. The room really wasnt that large and i didnt want him to play at HIS volume, much less destroy the walls of the room. :twisted: But he ended up playing at a very low volume. Prolly around 8 on his master of his red and bout 8 on his output. The overall controll and tone was amazing. Sadly enough... his bass and treble and gain and prescence were all dimed out and of course his mids were completely scooped out. Ive just been struggling with my dual rec for a good year now to get steadfast on my levels and some eq settings. Anyone have any input on this?

I've had the same problem for years...most sounds guys at gigs always want the guitar player to keep turning down and down...Most that I've dealt with don't understand the need for tube amps to be cranked for tone purposes...I had a Mark IV halfstack settup, and abandoned it for a 30 watt Lonestar just so that I could get great tone at lower volumes...I would try turning you're half-stack away from the crowd, and mic'ing it...you can get that oomph, but at the same time, you're allowing the sound engineer to really contour your sound, without killing the first three rows at a smaller gig

Amp10 has some solid advice there. I got all my bands to not use the amps and cabs as "stage props", but turn them so they don't blow in the audiende.
Try it at your next rehearsal, you'll learn to appreciate the extra feedback you're getting like this as a friend for sustaining notes in solo's. ;)

Thing that I feel is that when we guitar player turn up with a mesa tube amp(mesa tends to make louder amps than anybody else)we need to crank it so the tubes are beeing saturated and all that but the enginner always mic's the cab so he/she has control of the amp throught the PA.Fair enough but the thing that they dont seem to understand is that we dont think we are motley crue and just want the gutiars up,we need them up and when they mic them up they are getting the hardcore face melting mega sound from my dual rec. goin straight into their desk and into their pre's which in turn overload which then leads to them telling us to turn down the amps!!!!

hows about.....taking your SM57 and instead of close micing the cab mic it a little further away ,I understand that you may get more spillage from other instruments and the signal isnt as isolated but your micing up the entire stage practically of coarse there will be spillage from other instrument,but then again at the end of the day the reason for you being on the stage is to entertain,you aint gonna do that and please people with your weak sounding guitar

I normally keep my amp cranked and tell the engineer to work round it,it their job,I know I have done live sound for the past 5 years

It really does annoy me.grrrr

Back