Love affair with Boogie is over

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madryan said:
rabies said:
I like watching my Led Zep dvd. They didn't have soldano or any other "modern" b.s. back then.

did jimmy page ever use a mesa?

No, he uses Orange's currently.
:lol:
That was awesome.
On a techincal note, wouldn't Page's rig have been considered "modern" back then? Also, I like Marshall as much as the next guy, but give it a rest Rabies. I think you've about drove the Marshall bandwagon into the ground already. There's nothing wrong with being proud of the amps that you like, but shouldn't you respect other's right to do the same? Nobody in this thread is attacking Marshall, so what gives?

I know it was asked before, but have you tried a Stiletto?

Don't recall seeing if you said "yes". :?:

It, and the Lonestar, are probably the most of a departure from the "typical" Mesa tone there is with a Mesa name plate on it. Don't count it out, if you have not tried.
However, having said that, it is not as 'set and forget' happy as Marshall or Fender...the knobs still "do something"... 8) :lol:

Good luck

ps....VHT always impressed me as well...think they are called Fryette now......

By modern, I suppose I mean more compressed. Some might say "well throw a **** compressor on your MKIII." But that just didn't work. There was something that screamed 1980's to me about the amp. 1986 in specific. Some of you might think that the glory days, but I was a mere 4 years old!

The shared EQ at times bugs me. Yes, you can make the EQ auto engage with the lead mode, but still, same core tone.

As for modern, I suppose I mean more sleek, more tight, more smooth. Def NOT recto or 5150 style, but smoother than "vintage."

I have thought that maybe the Lonestar and Stiletto might be something to check out. My intial thoughts of the Stiletto were so blah, but I saw the Roots guitarist ripping holes in the atmopshere with one onstage, and thought maybe I didn't do something right!

Mellowtronic said:
By modern, I suppose I mean more compressed. Some might say "well throw a **** compressor on your MKIII." But that just didn't work. There was something that screamed 1980's to me about the amp. 1986 in specific. Some of you might think that the glory days, but I was a mere 4 years old!

The shared EQ at times bugs me. Yes, you can make the EQ auto engage with the lead mode, but still, same core tone.

As for modern, I suppose I mean more sleek, more tight, more smooth. Def NOT recto or 5150 style, but smoother than "vintage."

I have thought that maybe the Lonestar and Stiletto might be something to check out. My intial thoughts of the Stiletto were so blah, but I saw the Roots guitarist ripping holes in the atmopshere with one onstage, and thought maybe I didn't do something right!

I'll say it again... Find a nice condition DC series. They're smoother and more modern than a Mark III and punchier and more versatile than a Rectifier. Actually, mine sounds like a Mark/Rectifier hybrid to me. It's voiced for pure Rock-N-Roll.

you know ... after reading all the responses ... it sounds like you are looking for a very specific sound. I suggest you do the following: (1) investigate your artist rig(s). it's amusing that many players sound alike with different rigs - but some are unique. this means amp, guitar and effects rack (2) go to some place that has this stuff and try to get the salesman or manager to allow you to setup everything exactly the way the artist has it. it may mean swapping strings and pickups. you may need to leave your platinum credit card as a deposit - and let's not forget tubes. (3) i ASSUME you are as good as the people whose sound you want to emulate. therefore - with a little tweaking, you can determine whether you can afford to replicate the tones you want.

after 35 years of off/on playing ... i have come to the conclusion that it's in my ears and hands. i want my sound. i see the Gilmour setup, the SRV setup, the Hendrix setup ... i could go on for days ... and i make a rather nice living and my wife does too - so i generally have some money to spend on stuff. i can;t afford to replicate ONE of these setups ... not with the actual equipment. and sometimes ... that is what it takes to do it - that and one helluva audio engineer in a recording studio.

i see Led Zep on VH1C ... Page sounds, well, not good quite a bit. was he wasted ? or just playing like crap, or not playing the same thing as the studio ... i don;t know.

i saw a Who special that focused on Pete Townshend - at one point he was home recording and mixing ... using a really cool Hawaiian guitar to lay down the rhythm of "That's Alright". not a Strat, Tele, LP Deluxe ... if you aren;t there, you might NEVER know EXACTLY what they used. And they have access to everything.

Okay - I'm off the soapbox. bring your favorite axe(s) to your best amp store(s) and tear it up as much as they will let you. pick out the one you like and settle on it. and try to decide that - you have a sound and this is it. you can go broke amp trading ... i seem to keep every guitar i ever liked. EVER ...

have a great day.

Mellowtronic said:
Ladies and gents,

I tried, I played, I rocked with both a Nomad, and a Mark III and have finally unloaded both. They both had their great sounds,but just not for me I suppose. The Nomad, while with great clean, and great rhythm channel, was lacking in it's lead channels cut ability. It would drown in the mix. The Mark III had a decent clean and a decent lead channel, but a garbage R2(pretty useless actually, with all the woof). To top it all off, it felt dated, like it was made to be stuck in 1986. I know I love to hear the Mesa Boogie sound, I just don't know what else I might like.

Maybe I need a more modern/smooth sound, but dual recs are surely not my thing.

I played an Orange Rockerverb yesterday and was blown away.

Any other suggestions before I leave the family behind?

C
IMO, if you tried the Orange and really liked it compared to your Boogie's....stick with the Orange. That is like comparing apples to... :mrgreen:

rabies said:
rvschulz said:
after 35 years of off/on playing ... i have come to the conclusion that it's in my ears and hands. i want my sound. i see the Gilmour setup, the SRV setup, the Hendrix setup ...

that's sad how nobody ever mentions Kurt Cobain's sound. it's all in the "ear" of the beholder...

now that there is FUNNY ... it was in HIS ear, wasn't it ?

Mellowtronic said:
Would a Mark IV be a suitable solution? I was kind of looking for a simpler amp, but the mark IV yikes!

If you're looking for simple, the Mark IV is definitely NOT it. There are enough knobs and buttons on both the front and back of that amp to make even the most technologically hip guitarists cry. However, it is a fairly versitile amp, you just have to spend a fair amount of time tweaking it. It can be a very frustrating amp, but once you get it dialed in, it's fantastic.

You should certainly look into new Mark V, which seems to be a bit more versitile than the IV and a bit easier to work with. For one thing, the only shared eq technically is the graphic, and I don't really count that, especially since you can choose between the sliders or a preset eq curve per channel. I'm sure there are other amps that might suit what you need better, but I think that the Mark V would be a good starting place. That's my $0.02...

Mellowtronic said:
I play indie/electronic rock. Influenced by a good deal of new wave(cure, joy divison, depeche mode etc etc.) One or two guitars, bass, drums, and synths. Vocals of course.
A decent amount of effects are used.

Would a Mark IV be a suitable solution? I was kind of looking for a simpler amp, but the mark IV yikes!
For your style of music you do need a lesser amp. :D A Mark is A fire breather, plain and simple.

Have you ever tried a Soldano SLO100? I have three Mesa/Boogies, and lately, I've been getting kind of "too used" to the Mesa sound, as good as it is. I think the SLO100 is a nice contrast to Boogies' characteristic growly sound, and IMO, is one of THE best-sounding amps of all, especially for rock. I've tried a lot of amps: Framus Cobras (which sound EXACTLY like Rectos), VHTs, Diezels, Bogners, Engls, etc., and the Soldano rules for pure Marshall-esque grit and overdrive. Again, IMO, the Soldano is the sweetest rock amp ever. Articulate, "scratchy," and tons of well-defined gain.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mesa/Boogie amps. But, I've been Jonesing for a Soldano ever since I played one at Guitar Center over a year ago. I finally couldn't resist anymore, and just bought a Soldano Avenger with the famed SLO's DeYoung output transformer already installed as an upgrade off of Ebay. So, I'm speaking from my own experience. Saying that I was getting a bit "tired" of my Mesas isn't really quite true, but I've been yearning for something different, and really wanted that Soldano sound. Can't wait to plug that thing in when I get it!

Mellowtronic said:
Ladies and gents,

I tried, I played, I rocked with both a Nomad, and a Mark III and have finally unloaded both. They both had their great sounds,but just not for me I suppose. The Nomad, while with great clean, and great rhythm channel, was lacking in it's lead channels cut ability. It would drown in the mix. The Mark III had a decent clean and a decent lead channel, but a garbage R2(pretty useless actually, with all the woof). To top it all off, it felt dated, like it was made to be stuck in 1986. I know I love to hear the Mesa Boogie sound, I just don't know what else I might like.

The Nomad is perhaps the most aptly named Boogie amp... as it's doomed to forever wander from guitarist to guitarist, never settling down as it's always being sold onto the next guy.

And the Mark III is basically a two channel head. It's best to forget that R2 even exists.

If you're looking for variety, I used to set up R1 quite gainy, then clean it up using the volume on my guitar. Basically, I treated it like an old single channel amp for my clean to mean rhythm tones... then stepped on the lead channel like it was an overdrive pedal. Gave me a fair bit of versitiliy when used like that.

Maybe I need a more modern/smooth sound, but dual recs are surely not my thing.

For leads or rhythm? If it's for leads, put a compressor in front. Also consider that the Mark III is the most raw sounding of all the Marks. The II and IV were smoother.

I played an Orange Rockerverb yesterday and was blown away.

See below.

Any other suggestions before I leave the family behind?

Try before you buy.

Mellowtronic said:
You've all said some interesting things here. Who knows, maybe some time away, and a retube and I'll find what I need. Who knows, maybe I'll get the Rockerverb, fall in love, and still need the MKIII. Only time will tell.

A few years ago I also became tired of the Boogie sound. I sold my Mark III and Rectifier and bought a Rocker 30. I liked it, but it wasn't what I was looking for so I also bought an AD30. Played them for awhile, decided they didn't have the headroom I wanted, sold them and bought an AD140 and Rockerverb 50. Nice amps, totally bland sounding. I replaced the AD140 with a boutique type Orange OR-120 sounding amp with the gain of a JCM800. I'm keeping this. I recently bought a Lone Star and love it, and the Rockerverb 50 is on the chopping block as I type this.

Anyway, my point is that the grass isn't always greener, though sometimes you need to stand on the other side of the fence for awhile to see it.

Mellowtronic said:

If you want smoother than a Mark III you might like the Mark IV (or V).

Further, try experiementing with a Dual Rectifier. Despite popular opinion, you don't need to make it sound like a nu-metal band or pop-punk parody.... it does have other sounds in it, and the new ones are much smoother/warmer sounding than the ones they were putting out a few years ago.

The Stiletto is a revealing amp that covers little while amplifying all your shortfalls as a player. It's not an amp that'll make you sound good, you need to make it sound good. The trade off of owning one is that it'll make you a better player.

OMFG! I've just been recording leads with my new, DeYoung OT-equipped, Soldano Avenger.

Game f*cking over. It's like having a $3,800 Soldano SLO100 for less than half the price. The beauty of a Soldano, is that it needs no channel strip EQ'ing when recording to sound "right." Leads are pure, super-articulate, and while there's tons of gain on tap, it comes with incredible clarity and definition. Leads are thick, flowing, and syrup-ey rich, especially when playing on the rhythm pick up on a Les Paul. Absolutely no "ice pick" whatsoever. No post-EQ necessary here. If you think a Soldano sounds good to your ears, you should hear it recorded--it's even better. My Mesa/Boogies never sound "right" when recorded unless you use a parametric EQ when mixing. Even then, you gotta f*ck with it for hours. The leads coming out of the Soldano are good to go, right out of the f*cking box. I'm done with Mesa/Boogie.

Okay, I've had the Soldano for a full 7 days now. And I've managed to calm down a bit. Yes, the Soldano is now my first choice for playing leads. But my Mark IV still puts out those tight, bright rhythms that no other amp seems to be able to match. The Mark IV is a very nice contrast to the smooth, round, "scratchy" sound of the Soldano's liquidey lead tone. For leads, the Soldano is very rich and thick-sounding, but I think I have to agree with most, that the Soldano is a bit of a one-trick pony. Don't get me wrong, it does that one trick VERY well, however. For everything else I need, my Mark IV and Recto Solo50 seem to fit the bill quite nicely. Moral: Never sell your amps. They all sound good for something.

Awesome. Sounds like you found your amp. Let's hear it.

LEVEL4 said:
OMFG! I've just been recording leads with my new, DeYoung OT-equipped, Soldano Avenger.

Game f*cking over. It's like having a $3,800 Soldano SLO100 for less than half the price. The beauty of a Soldano, is that it needs no channel strip EQ'ing when recording to sound "right." Leads are pure, super-articulate, and while there's tons of gain on tap, it comes with incredible clarity and definition. Leads are thick, flowing, and syrup-ey rich, especially when playing on the rhythm pick up on a Les Paul. Absolutely no "ice pick" whatsoever. No post-EQ necessary here. If you think a Soldano sounds good to your ears, you should hear it recorded--it's even better. My Mesa/Boogies never sound "right" when recorded unless you use a parametric EQ when mixing. Even then, you gotta f*ck with it for hours. The leads coming out of the Soldano are good to go, right out of the f*cking box. I'm done with Mesa/Boogie.

gts said:
Mellowtronic said:
To top it all off, it felt dated, like it was made to be stuck in 1986.

Mellowtronic said:
I play indie/electronic rock. Influenced by a good deal of new wave(cure, joy divison, depeche mode etc etc.) One or two guitars, bass, drums, and synths. Vocals of course.
A decent amount of effects are used.

This is funny. The amp felt dated, made to be stuck in 1986.
Yet he plays music that is influenced by bands from 1986 and earlier!! :lol:

+1

seems odd...

Latest posts

Back