How NOT to sell your MK IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
Ok

I said to myself, I'm not playing out that much anymore and if I do it'll be blues and stuff like that. I'm gonna get my self a marshall jmd-1 and sell this dinosaur of an amp called the MK IV.

I get a 100w combo jmd home for a testdrive from my local dealer and put an ad in the local online site about the MK IV.
The asking price for the mesa was 1800 $. Yup I know but there is some love in me for that old ******* still so I wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it.

I get two on the line who are eager to play and pay the price. Mind you tho, the amp is cosmetically near mint, it has been living in a flightcase from the day it was born sometime in '91. It's a very early version.

Ok on with the story, So we set up a meeting me and them cats, I set up the meetings two hours apart so the first guy could spend some time with it.

Comes "d" day and I roll the ******* out from storage plug it into some electrical juice and turn it on full power and let the tubes warm up for about 15 minutes.

The Marshall is beside it and looking all shiny and new and sounding incredibly good. So I think to myself, what the heck, I'd better plug into the mesa and set the channels up proberly to help the sale.

OMG I'm on the lead channel......................................... The marshall shrinks, and shrivels up before my eyes, the MK IV is stomping all over it, dripping with tone and the singing quality that ONLY a mk series can.

My hearts starts pounding as the doorbell rings, holy fudge what am I gonna do ?

I invite the guy in and offer him some coffee. No he says. Is that the amp, can I play it he says as he puts the 1800 $ on the table.

No I say. Why ? he asks. Because you'd only get disappointed and frustrated I said.

What ? Your ad said this was one of the best amps ever, he cried out angrily.

Yup that's true I said and that is why you'd be disappointed. I can't and won't sell it so if you were to try it you'd only get more pissed cause you can't have it.

Are you a retard ? He asked. No sir but I am however inflicted. Once you develop an addiction for that mark tone there is no escaping it and therefore it's no longer for sale and never will be. Please ignore all ads from me in the future regarding this particular combo.

The point of this story is, I was offered a really good deal from the local marshall/gibson dealer if I were to come over to them. They did this because we are friends and for advertising purposes. It was a win win for all parties. But no matter what money is offered I'm stuck with the mark.

Reason, it's tone moves my soul and makes me a better player.

Sorry for the rant and horrendously long story, hope I didn't bore you guys to death.

Cheers

Geiri

Geiri said:
Are you a retard ?

haha, funny story! glad you kept your mark IV

there are a shitload of mark IV's for sale. somebody might be able to sell one up there and make a few bucks depending on shipping and VAT taxes

scott

You did the right thing. I've gone through a few Mark Vs trying to find a reason to transition out of my Mark IV...but in the end those Vs have been the ones to go....

thats funny man. I think the same thing would happen if I ever decided to sell my III.

Geiri said:
Ok

I said to myself, I'm not playing out that much anymore and if I do it'll be blues and stuff like that. I'm gonna get my self a marshall jmd-1 and sell this dinosaur of an amp called the MK IV.

I get a 100w combo jmd home for a testdrive from my local dealer and put an ad in the local online site about the MK IV.
The asking price for the mesa was 1800 $. Yup I know but there is some love in me for that old ******* still so I wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it.

I get two on the line who are eager to play and pay the price. Mind you tho, the amp is cosmetically near mint, it has been living in a flightcase from the day it was born sometime in '91. It's a very early version.

Ok on with the story, So we set up a meeting me and them cats, I set up the meetings two hours apart so the first guy could spend some time with it.

Comes "d" day and I roll the ******* out from storage plug it into some electrical juice and turn it on full power and let the tubes warm up for about 15 minutes.

The Marshall is beside it and looking all shiny and new and sounding incredibly good. So I think to myself, what the heck, I'd better plug into the mesa and set the channels up proberly to help the sale.

OMG I'm on the lead channel......................................... The marshall shrinks, and shrivels up before my eyes, the MK IV is stomping all over it, dripping with tone and the singing quality that ONLY a mk series can.

My hearts starts pounding as the doorbell rings, holy fudge what am I gonna do ?

I invite the guy in and offer him some coffee. No he says. Is that the amp, can I play it he says as he puts the 1800 $ on the table.

No I say. Why ? he asks. Because you'd only get disappointed and frustrated I said.

Yup that's true I said and that is why you'd be disappointed. I can't and won't sell it so if you were to try it you'd only get more pissed cause you can't have it.

Are you a retard ? He asked. No sir but I am however inflicted. Once you develop an addiction for that mark tone there is no escaping it and therefore it's no longer for sale and never will be. Please ignore all ads from me in the future regarding this particular combo.

The point of this story is, I was offered a really good deal from the local marshall/gibson dealer if I were to come over to them. They did this because we are friends and for advertising purposes. It was a win win for all parties. But no matter what money is offered I'm stuck with the mark.

Sorry for the rant and horrendously long story, hope I didn't bore you guys to death.

Cheers

Geiri

its mark iv karma. i live it.

I know how you that goes. I have a Mark IV, serial numebr 16 that i almost sold a month ago to update to a Mark V. Took it into the shop for a guy to test it out, ran it thru a 2x12 cabinet and i fell in love with the tone. i politely told him, its not longer up for grabs. Sometimes it just takes a new variable in the sound equation to change your mind on these things. If anything, I'll keep this one and add a Mark V down the road.

@ avi8r

That's what I'm thinking now, just add the V down the road. I don't think I would recover if sellers remorse would creep in after selling the IV.

Oh definitely would have sellers remorse. I regretted selling my first Mark IV. But this one came up about a year later and was too good of a deal to pass up. I paid a ridiculously low sum of money for this combo. In my opinion this one actually sounds better than the other one I had which was a a little newer model. This one has more mojo to it and R2 is way more useable for some reason. Has nearly as much gain to it as the lead channel. My other Mark was pretty weak on R2. I'll sell my wife and kids before I get rid of this amp. And in all reality, the times I've tried the Mark V, the only thing it really seems to do better is the clean channel. I dont spend enough time on the clean channel to justify getting rid of this amp for a V. If I had both though, total tonal bliss.

I sold a MKIVA I bought in 1990 years ago and always regretted it! Finally I ran across a MXIV combo in curly maple and wicker grille years later and I traded my DC-5 and some cash. I will never get rid of this one! I do regret trading the DC-5 and wish I had just payed tall cash though.

Great story! I learned a long time ago that my mark III was the one amp I will probably never sell. I've been through quite a few other amps trying to find the one that will make me say it's time to let it go, or at least move over a bit but nothing has done it yet. Just over the last couple months I've had a Fuchs and now a Sigx and although I'm really liking the SigX I kinda know what's gonna happen the the day I decide to plug back into my mark III.... :wink:
Sooner or later I'll probably try a Mark IV I guess.

Yeah I've learned the hard way and don't sell much anymore. Pretty soon I'll need a warehouse to store everything in lol. I've never tried a MK III. I watch for them locally but don"t see a lot in the stores. All those stripes are confusing, If you like it keep it!

Ok

Cheers

Geiri
The point of the story is if our word isn't worth anything we ain't worth sht.

Back