Lou Reed/Metallica album coming out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryjan said:
espexp said:
Let us put this Metallica thing in perspective:
1) Metallica was asked to do this by Lou Reed
2) Lou Reed wrote all of the lyrics on this project
3) "The View" is one song, and one part of a much bigger story, taken out of context.
4) The music on "the View" is simplistic and droning because it is supposed to be. It's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable.
5) The story of LULU is very controversial and compelling. Look it up, it's pretty wild stuff.
6) This is not a Metallica Album

I've listened to the song several times now and it has grown on me. It makes you really think about the poetry that Lou Reed is reciting. It's quite disturbing.

It's nice to hear someone trying something different, no matter what the response is. I look forward to hearing the rest of it.
Good points.

+1

scott

ryjan said:
espexp said:
Let us put this Metallica thing in perspective:
1) Metallica was asked to do this by Lou Reed
2) Lou Reed wrote all of the lyrics on this project
3) "The View" is one song, and one part of a much bigger story, taken out of context.
4) The music on "the View" is simplistic and droning because it is supposed to be. It's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable.
5) The story of LULU is very controversial and compelling. Look it up, it's pretty wild stuff.
6) This is not a Metallica Album

I've listened to the song several times now and it has grown on me. It makes you really think about the poetry that Lou Reed is reciting. It's quite disturbing.

It's nice to hear someone trying something different, no matter what the response is. I look forward to hearing the rest of it.
Good points.

I totally agree. Only when one has a truly open mind can they truly appreciate the arts.

After espexp's post I did look into the story of LULU, if this album was done to tell this story it should be quite interesting indeed.

Dom

domct203 said:
Only when one has a truly open mind can they truly appreciate the arts.

that's a hot quote. sounds like a socrates or James Morrison quote.

aldous huxley perhaps? materialism is the source of all things evil, set and setting is critical during mind games.

metallica should start writing opera music. what a waste.

the thing that should not be is by far one of the most ghetto songs I've heard or will ever hear. Drop D seems to really satisfy.

rabies said:
Drop D seems to really satisfy.

Don't want to nitpick, but D standard. :wink:

Those are some really good points there. And about the "make you feel uncomfortable" part - if that's what they wanted, well, it's working :?

I have just listened to the whole "The View" after reading the plot synopsis of both Lulu plays. OK I'm beginning to see the picture but WHAT is Lou Reed DOING?!!?! It sounds like some redneck with a speech impediment was reading a text that has wrongly placed spaces. He's not singing, though at some point it even sounds like it, god forbid. And to my ears, that would be one hell of a shitty recitation.

I get the idea. It's not a bad one. Bringing heavy riffs into a dark and controversial play with a protagonist like that is a good idea, at least to me. Metalizing theater. But someone teach Lou Reed how to TALK yet alone sing. It's quite simply pathetic. Once again, I'll form a proper opinion when I hear the whole thing but for now, Lou Reed's "reeding" has ruined it for me.

The whole album is up for your listening pleasure at www.loureedmetallica.com

Very interesting so far, I've listened to the first 6 songs. Pumping Blood is pretty cool. Mistress Dread is chaotic.
Lou Reeds delivery takes some getting used to.

I have this big long interview with Eddie Kramer (recorded Zeppelin, Stones, Halen, the list goes on..) called "Painting with Sound" from a Guitar Center catalog and man he's definitely got alot of great advice and alot to say about stuff in general. Of course he says that "Success comes from an ability to listen and have an open mind." that's pretty obvious, but when asked for pointers towards aspiring artists, he also says that next generation needs to pay attention to the craft of songwriting, and that the more he listens to new bands the harder he has to look to find people that practice good songwriting, and i'm inclined to agree. Metallica (this album, ex) fall victim. It just doesn't jive. It's not that it isn't Kill 'em All or Black Album all over again, or even Lou Reed trying to squeeze ..& Nico out. Like Kramer says, this is just where the craft of songwriting wasn't applied - not all the puzzle pieces fit the right way in my opinion. While the subject matter is there, it's just not reaching out and grabbing me like the concept wanted to. I love Metallica, and I wanted it bad for 'em, but it just didn't happen this time. :?

This will be the first time I don't buy a new Metallica album. Just not my cup of tea. I don't know art but I know what I don't like and that is Lou Reed.

Back