Looking to buy, may need some help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently playing a HRD and it just always sounds so limited and dull to me, needless to say it's just not cutting it anymore. I recently had an opportunity to purcahse a Nomad 100 212 but discovered the reverb failed on it so I passed it up. I read up on other Nomads (45's and 55's) and came to the conclusion that they may not be worth my time/money. I've heard good things about the DC-5's but I haven't seen any around. A Mark IIA just popped up as being available and I was thinkinig about going this route, but I failed to find any useful info on the forum here to hammer down my decision. So, what I'd like input on is: Thoughts on the IIA? Should I possibly hold out for a DC-5, III or IV? Obviously I'd be new to the Mesa family, so all input is welcome here. I play a LP, humbuckers, punk-rock-alternative style, incase that may sway anyones suggestions. Thanks in advance to any help offered!

Get a lower wattage amp (F-30, DC-2, Studio 22, etc.) if only for home use. Get a little higher watts (F-50, DC-5, Studio 50, etc.) if you are going to need stage volume at gigs. High watts at home can be fun but is definintely not necessary and 100 watt amps are just overkill for most players/situations.

Once you know the power you need, find an amp that works and know the going price for it and don't overpay. If you use it for awhile and don't end up liking it you can always sell it and get something else without taking too much of a loss. Renting an amp can cost around $50 a night in Chicago so if you buy an amp and end up selling it after a month or two and lose $50 it should not be the end of the world. If you are not in a big hurry, I would play as many amps as you can and find the one that feels (sounds) right. You can get a great sound out of any vintage Mesa amp that is in 100% working order so don't worry about the model.

Good luck.

Bobby

check out a mark III. I had a mark III greenstripe and that had some of the best punk tones. I dont play much of punk but when you think of old school pennywise and especially NOFX's tone';, that amp pretty much could nail those tones for me a little to much for my taste. I play more of hardrock/heavy metal.

not mention mark IIIs are pretty cheap. everyone hails the greenstripe as the best one. But I have heard they are all good in there own way. whether it's blue, red, purple, black or black dot. Search the forum for markIIIs and there is an entire thread all about the different stripes and their differences.

best of luck to you, and please..join the boogie fam.

If you want something a little more 'straight ahead' (i.e. simpler to use), check out the .50 Calibers. Very, very nice, and very, very affordable!

i think you will need to find several to try out. as i have sometimes suggested before, print the manual and bring the sample settings with you for the amp you may try.

all of the manuals are available via PDF from the mesa website.

if you are a single tone - do not pass up a .50 cal or Mark III if a good price = they are unequaled. multi-tones, depends on how many pedals you want to use. that's why i have a LSC AND a Mark III

good luck and welcome to the family.

bradshawability,

If you want to go with a DC-5 I have a late model combo that I'm going to be selling. Looks great and works perfectly. I'm only selling it because I just bought a DC-10.

Back