looking for a good crunchy pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lord of the strings

Reaction score
hi all,

i am looking for a good pedal to use on a marshall clean channel that will make it quite dirty , for a bluse and funky still.
maybe the ocd? rc booster or mxr zakk wyild? other?

im using an AC booster and its really nice. like an angry tubescreamer kind of

Take a look at the BlackStar range of HT pedals find the one that suits you best. When i'm not using my mesa, I use a BlackStar distortion in front of my peavey classic 30 and it totally rocks. There is a dual model too where you can have 2 types of distortion/overdrive in one pedal.

those tone bones are REALLY killer with Ei tubes. Ei tubes are usually pretty crappy in amps but for whatever reason they sound killer in the tone bones

lord of the strings said:
hi all,

i am looking for a good pedal to use on a marshall clean channel that will make it quite dirty , for a bluse and funky still.
maybe the ocd? rc booster or mxr zakk wyild? other?
Those are a good start

Herbvis said:
M.I.Audio Crunchbox!
I second the Crunchbox. hasn't let me down yet. I use this for my higher gain applications and an ocd for a bit less.

if you do get an OCD, don't forget to play with the input voltage. it'll take anything from 9-18 volts. I personally love mine at 18 volts, but the other guy in my band swears by his at 12 volts.

Ever tried a RAT? I love mine. Fattest OD ive heard. Not the tightest for metal though.

Carl Martin has a wide range of OD pedals that are amazing. I personally like the Plexitone with my Boogie rig - but I have an original Hot Drive N' Boost ver. 1 pedal that I will never get rid of just because it goes so well with almost any amp or guitar you use it with.

I have 3 overdrive pedals on my main board!! The first pedal a ts-9 tube screamer is used as a mid boost with the gain right down and the level right up and the tone to taste( i put mine between 1 and 2 o,clock) in this mode it will give a clean boost(works great in front of an over driven amp or pedal!!!) the amount of guitarists who do this (from Santana to Bonamassa) is amazing it,s one of the best used tone secrets there is lol.Next my preference is a Keeley modded Ds-1 and a modded Keeley ts-808. I use the Ds-1 for high gain stuff and the ts-808 for bluesy/rock kinda playing but both are used with the Ts-9 as a booster!!! There are many great pedals out there but these nail the kinda tone i like ie heavy rock as opossed to that scooped metal sound that unfortunately most modern manufacturer,s(including modern amps by mesa)seem to think everybody is chasing!!!!!!

bartchamdoh said:
I have 3 overdrive pedals on my main board!! The first pedal a ts-9 tube screamer is used as a mid boost with the gain right down and the level right up and the tone to taste( i put mine between 1 and 2 o,clock) in this mode it will give a clean boost(works great in front of an over driven amp or pedal!!!) the amount of guitarists who do this (from Santana to Bonamassa) is amazing it,s one of the best used tone secrets there is lol.Next my preference is a Keeley modded Ds-1 and a modded Keeley ts-808. I use the Ds-1 for high gain stuff and the ts-808 for bluesy/rock kinda playing but both are used with the Ts-9 as a booster!!! There are many great pedals out there but these nail the kinda tone i like ie heavy rock as opossed to that scooped metal sound that unfortunately most modern manufacturer,s(including modern amps by mesa)seem to think everybody is chasing!!!!!!
Collecting OD pedals is addicting :)

bartchamdoh said:

Funny, I thought of Mesas as purely chasing for those scooped metal sounds, seems like it's the owners that choose to do so. That what I like about Mesas, versatility. Anyway, I love my Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4X2, for "clean" boosting some of my metal tones on the Roadster, and also using it as a boost in channel 1 of my Roadster, for some SRV butchering... :lol:

What i was implying is that more modern amps by mesa(and indeed a whole bunch of other modern manufacturers) are more geared to metal players. For example rectos don,t have a reputation for a great clean channel and the gain is more metal than rock(no matter how you tweak it!)All the old Mark series amps i have played have 2 or 3( depending on what model)usable channels that can cover the whole gamut from fender type cleans(albeit with more midrange punch) through blues, rock or country to heavy metal mayhem should you desire it( well perhaps with the exception of the mark 1)Likewise the lone star always sounds to my ears like a fender amp on ts-808 steroids no matter how you tweak it.Yup versatility is the name of the game with older boogies but not so with the new breed of one trick ponies mesa make now.....and if you can,t sell these newer amps what do you do? well of course you bring out an amp that does a best of these older amps.... mark 5 anyone...lol

bartchamdoh said:
What i was implying is that more modern amps by mesa(and indeed a whole bunch of other modern manufacturers) are more geared to metal players. For example rectos don,t have a reputation for a great clean channel and the gain is more metal than rock(no matter how you tweak it!)All the old Mark series amps i have played have 2 or 3( depending on what model)usable channels that can cover the whole gamut from fender type cleans(albeit with more midrange punch) through blues, rock or country to heavy metal mayhem should you desire it( well perhaps with the exception of the mark 1)Likewise the lone star always sounds to my ears like a fender amp on ts-808 steroids no matter how you tweak it.Yup versatility is the name of the game with older boogies but not so with the new breed of one trick ponies mesa make now.....and if you can,t sell these newer amps what do you do? well of course you bring out an amp that does a best of these older amps.... mark 5 anyone...lol

So, but I have to disagree there. In fact, the newer Mesas are even more versatile than the older ones, but that's just me...

Latest posts

Back